Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-12-2014, 01:03 PM   #1
Winnebago Master

Winnebago GPS map updates. HOW????

Being a 2011 Itasca the River Park provided GPS is the XGS2 2010 system. I have been trying to find a way to update the maps and I am having no luck. If anyone has information on how to do this I will be grateful if you will share it. I have searched the River Park and XiteSolutions North America sites and I am at a loss.

Thanks for your input.

Rick Y
Old 10-12-2014, 01:18 PM   #2
Winnie-Wise

Did you try contacting Winnebago and ask them about it? I'm sure there must be a way through a USB port using a Zip Drive.
Tom-NC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2014, 03:38 PM   #3
Winnebago Master

I went to

www.naviextras.com

Downloaded their Toolbox. I update using the SD card in my unit.
Old 10-13-2014, 08:44 AM   #4
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by DancinCampers View Post
I went to

www.naviextras.com

Downloaded their Toolbox. I update using the SD card in my unit.
Thanks for this info. I had managed to get to the naviextras web site before this post but I was not registered yet and I was getting stuck at picking the GPS manufacture name. After a bunch of reading I finally figured out from the fine print that the device is made by Xite Solutions. Once I found that name in the dropdown list I was golden. Another minor hesitation was model ID. My documentation lists my unit simply as XSG2 2010. The update site lists XSG2NA.

After registering and downloading the Toolbox did I figure out I was safe. The SD card worked. I had a minor free update to install. I didn't do the map update yet. The $99 for a one year 4 quarter update and the $79 one shot update are the choices of interest to me. Because of all the changes happening to the major highways I think it is wiser to continue with what I have for another year. Just in TX alone many road sections have been relocated and new interchanges are being added. I hope the maps are keeping up with these changes.

Thank you folks for reaching out to me. Both suggestions are valid and valuable. Love this forum!

Happy trails,

Rick Y
Old 10-17-2014, 11:17 AM   #5
Winnebago Owner

In our 2014 Adventurer, the Infotainment system uses the Rand McNally GPS system. I downloaded the RM Dock for my Mac and followed instructions. Lifetime updates were already paid for by Winnebago. Not sure when Xite started using RM though.
2013 Honda CRV, Roadmaster Falcon AT, Invisibrake
cochise1949 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2014, 05:39 PM   #6
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by cochise1949 View Post
In our 2014 Adventurer, the Infotainment system uses the Rand McNally GPS system. I downloaded the RM Dock for my Mac and followed instructions. Lifetime updates were already paid for by Winnebago. Not sure when Xite started using RM though.
Good for you. Because map updates are often 'out of date' when made available I feel they should be lifetime updates because of the initial cost of the better GPS systems. We have that option on our Garmin nuvi. I don't know if my coach GPS could be converted with a RM SD card. Never thought of doing so. For now I think I will stick with what we have.

Rick Y
Old 10-28-2014, 06:11 AM   #7
Winnebago Camper

I cannot get the RM dock to work with my Mac.
Any suggestions?
Rbt01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2014, 10:11 PM   #8
Winnebago Owner

Just got my rig back from shop. I will pull my SD card tomorrow and search for updates and see if it still works for me. I assume you already downloaded and installed the RM Dock for your Mac. Which Mac do you have. I had a mid 2010 iMac but will try it for first time on a 2013 Mac Mini.
Old 10-29-2014, 10:41 PM   #9
Winnebago Camper

I have iMac 2012 quad core. Contacted RM totally not helpful.
The dock attempts to start but keeps shutting down.
I know I have lifetime maps with my new Reyo and would love to update them
I will keep trying but appreciate any assistance.
Rbt01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2014, 11:14 PM   #10
Winnebago Owner

Jerichorick, I went to naviextras and paid for the one time update. Imagine my dissapointment when I discovered that the 2 gig SD card would not hold the update. The only way I could update is by deleting Canada and Mexico and not updating Midwest, West and some other things. In several conversations with Riverpark, I have concluded that I will just have to live with this small capacity SD card, unless someone else has had a better experience they can share. The next time my maps get out of date, will just get a garmin. Or, a new rv, hhhmmmm.
RBK394 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2014, 07:38 AM   #11
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by RBK394 View Post
Jerichorick, I went to naviextras and paid for the one time update. Imagine my dissapointment when I discovered that the 2 gig SD card would not hold the update. The only way I could update is by deleting Canada and Mexico and not updating Midwest, West and some other things. In several conversations with Riverpark, I have concluded that I will just have to live with this small capacity SD card, unless someone else has had a better experience they can share. The next time my maps get out of date, will just get a garmin. Or, a new rv, hhhmmmm.
How sad and with a to boot! They say a bigger SD card won't work? We have a really good Nuvi (don't recall the model) with lifetime maps. It works very well but does have its moments. I have not used the coach GPS all that much and I find it a bit hard to get used to. But, with that said, all of the changes in the major roads are probably not in my maps anyway. So, I just have a fancy piece of hardware filling a hole. Are you shore you want a new rv? That QD is a winner in my opinion.
Old 11-02-2014, 04:09 PM   #12
Winnebago Camper

The bigger SD card won't work because the manufacturer parked the "license" files for the GPS at very specific spots on the card. If they aren't located in that exact spot, the unit won't load.

This was a common scheme back in the days of the early IBM AT computers that had only floppy drives. I find it annoying that they would do this. I had called RiverPark asking for help in moving the license files to a larger card, but haven't gotten anywhere.

The next idea was to figure out how to copy the data to a larger card and get the bits all in the right spots. Just haven't had time to do it. It's annoying that one would have to.
Old 11-03-2014, 06:25 AM   #13
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by cliffm View Post
The bigger SD card won't work because the manufacturer parked the "license" files for the GPS at very specific spots on the card. If they aren't located in that exact spot, the unit won't load.

This was a common scheme back in the days of the early IBM AT computers that had only floppy drives. I find it annoying that they would do this. I had called RiverPark asking for help in moving the license files to a larger card, but haven't gotten anywhere.

The next idea was to figure out how to copy the data to a larger card and get the bits all in the right spots. Just haven't had time to do it. It's annoying that one would have to.
I see that there are several language files on the card. What can be safely removed and not cause problems? As with you, my card only has 1.67G left free. Will deleting the backups help? Can we buy a new programed card from them? That seems like a double purchase though. Yet, I have replaced my car GPS.
Old 11-03-2014, 11:53 AM   #14
Winnebago Camper

not to change the subject, but just got my rig. where is the sd card located(I did check the useless manual) thanks
boba1106 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2014, 08:14 AM   #15
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by boba1106 View Post
not to change the subject, but just got my rig. where is the sd card located(I did check the useless manual) thanks
:welcome: if no one has done so yet!

Tilt your screen all the way out. Use the "Settings" icon to get to the control. Look on the bottom of the screen unit. The SD card slot is there. When you put it into your computer you will be able to see your free space. Please let us know what you see. I wonder if they have a larger card now.

Rick Y
Old 11-04-2014, 09:42 AM   #16
Winnebago Camper

You have to tilt the display out (there are setting to adjust this). The SD card is at the 6 o clock position on the bottom of the frame. Once you tilt it out, you should be able to access it. Just push in on it, and it will then pop out.

Cliff
Old 11-04-2014, 11:36 AM   #17
Winnebago Owner

Send a message via Skype™ to tnteacherguy
Thanks CliffM,
I'm so glad someone posted this. Naturally, I could have/should have read the manual. But, since someone so nicely put it out here for me to see while I was lurking about IRV2, I hopped right up and updated my card.

I had to perform the operation twice. I think the first time failed because of campground wifi issues.

I no longer get that irritating update/tell me more message when the navi loads.
Old 11-04-2014, 04:04 PM   #18
Winnebago Camper

Thank

thanks I will check again when it is light out but I cannot seem to "tilt" my screen out. I don't want to force it so maybe just too dumb to get it. Like I said I will wait until the weekend when i can take my time and do it in the light. Thanks again to those that answered
boba1106 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2014, 10:50 PM   #19
Winnebago Owner

On our rig, the SD slot is on the right side of the Infotainment System unit. About center from top to bottom. There may be a cover to move. With the unit off, push in on the card and it will pop out.
Old 11-07-2014, 03:57 PM   #20
Winnebago Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by boba1106 View Post
thanks I will check again when it is light out but I cannot seem to "tilt" my screen out. I don't want to force it so maybe just too dumb to get it. Like I said I will wait until the weekend when i can take my time and do it in the light. Thanks again to those that answered
Punch "eject" that tilts the screen out to expose the single CD slot and also exposes the SD card in the bottom of the screen.

I too ran into the space problem on the SD card with an update and had to delete Mexico, Canada and parts of the East Coast to make the update fit. It would not support a large SD card, now I know why
toddb is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
gps, winnebago