Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Winnebago Owners Online Community > WINNEBAGO TECH & TOW > Electrical | Charging, Solar and Electronics
Click Here to Login
Register FilesRegistry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 12-25-2019, 07:05 PM   #1
Winnebago Camper

Solar Panel brand comparison

Why would I pay $50-$100 MORE for a Renogy panel than any number of other brands that are of similar if not the same wattage? Is it simply because they are made in America and not off shore somewhere?
Old 12-25-2019, 09:00 PM   #2
Winnebago Master

Warranty, quality, weight, efficiency, next?
OK, why?
Winterbagoal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2019, 09:33 PM   #3
Winnebago Camper

Looking to upgrade to Lithium batteries and I want to get up to 600watts solar. I have the two Zamp 100w panels that came with the rig, 2019 Navion, so I am investigating possibilities. I don't have a money tree but I don't want to save now pay not much later again.
Old 12-25-2019, 10:00 PM   #4
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by DariusB View Post
Is it simply because they are made in America and not off shore somewhere?
I’m surprised to hear of Renergy panels as “US made.” I don’t see this anywhere on their website. And I’ve always thought they are Chinese panels sold by a US company.

I have 2-Renergy panels and think they are a good product. But I don’t think they are US made.
Old 12-25-2019, 10:09 PM   #5
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by DariusB View Post
Looking to upgrade to Lithium batteries and I want to get up to 600watts solar. I have the two Zamp 100w panels that came with the rig, 2019 Navion, so I am investigating possibilities. I don't have a money tree but I don't want to save now pay not much later again.
My RV came with a Zamp 100w panel, a 3-port combiner box and 30-amp PWM charge controller. When I added two more 100w panels I bought Renergy panels. Zamp solar panels were nearly 4-times the cost of the Renergy panels. I’ve been happy with the Renergy panels.

Be aware that all Zamp panels and 3-port combiner use SAE connectors while nearly all other solar panels come with MC4 connectors. You’ll need to buy adapters or change out any non-Zamp panel’s wiring to work with a Zamp 3-port combiner.
Old 12-26-2019, 09:42 AM   #6
Winnie-Wise

If you are looking to save money on panels, check out https://www.santansolar.com/product/.
SLOweather is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2019, 10:18 AM   #7
Winnebago Owner

Check out youtube videos by Will Prouse(sp?). He has several panel comparison videos.
I recently added to the stock single Zamp 100w panel and chose a Rich Solar 170w panel. Install was done without drilling holes (vhb tape/dicor) and just had to reterminate the cable with a SAE plug.
I also occasionally carry a heavy, clunky, but quality 120w portable panel made by Ampowe. Which brings us up to 390w total. Necessary for us in the upper left corner.
Do check out Rich Solar products, I'm happy. Regards, Mike

2016 View 24v
Seymour2Lane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2019, 06:26 PM   #8
Itasca owner

I think the Renogy setup is a very good value, only about $250 from Amazon with all necessary wiring, connectors, controller, brackets for 200 watts. Mine has been working for over 6 months now.
Old 01-01-2020, 04:48 PM   #9
Winnebago Master

Solar panels are a commodity and any 100 watt panel should have near identical output. Go for whatever you suspect will best serve you at a cost that you are willing to pay. Good luck, have had my 400 watts installed since 2013 and still going strong.
bobmac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2020, 05:12 PM   #10
Winnebago Camper

Why buy from Renogy?

Simple answer to the Renogy understanding:
Renogy includes all connectors, wireing, mounting brackets, and etc as well as a 25 year warranty on the panels. I also bought all of my controllers there as well and they too came with full support and advise from experts.
It simply does not pay to reinvent the solution that has already been proven and then hope all will work out in the end. But....... there are those who just don't understand the whole picture and are willing to spend less to cost more.
Moonie
moonie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2020, 05:24 PM   #11
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by moonie View Post
Simple answer to the Renogy understanding:
But....... there are those who just don't understand the whole picture and are willing to spend less to cost more.
Moonie
Or they have the skills and are able to do it themselves more cost effectively. Dont ever assume that those who do things themselves are not as smart as you are. The posts in this whole forum are mostly from those owners who have experience and are able and willing to share them with others who might want to tackle tasks themselves.
bobmac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2020, 05:55 PM   #12
Winnebago Owner

If you care spend some time and research both solar cell quality and solar panel quality. Just as not all RVs have equal build quality, not all solar panels at a given wattage are equal.

Solar panels are made from multiple individual cells joined together to form a panel. Individual solar cells are grade as being A, B, C or D grade. A grade meets all specs, D is useless. Grade C must be recut to be useful, That leaves mostly A & B grades going into panels. B grade cells will cost less than A grade cells.

Also there may be large differences in how the cells are connected together and how well the frame and other components are made. Thus not all panels are equal even if they have the same wattage rating. However, I do not believe price alone indicates quality. Some panel manufactures buy solar cells from other suppliers complicating overall quality control of consumer products.

In my opinion you need to do some research on the brand you're buying. Just like RVs.
rarebear.nm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2020, 06:53 PM   #13
Winnebago Owner

Adding a panel

I believe I read that if you add a panel to an existing system, all the specs must be identical to function properly. I believe the article said that if the panel you add had lower specs, and I don't mean just the 100 watt output, then the entire system would function as if all were the same lower specs. If I misremembered that, please correct me.

I also recommend Will Prowse to give you a good background on systems. He has written a book on do-it-yourself solar as well. In addition, he has done extensive testing on batteries and other components of a solar power system. (I almost said "solar system", but that would include Mercury, Venus, Mars, etc.) His stuff has been very helpful for helping me get up to speed.

I just bought 3 100 amp Battle Born lithium batteries and am planning to buy 3 250 watt panels from Santan Solar in Phoenix when I'm in Q-site next week. They are very slightly used, but are certified and cheaper than most 100 watt panels. They are a great deal if you can pick them up, but not so much if you have to pay shipping because they are too large for UPS/FedEx, so they have to come by truck freight, and that shipping cost is more than the cost of the 3 panels.
Old 01-01-2020, 08:32 PM   #14
Winnebago Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by rarebear.nm View Post
If you care spend some time and research both solar cell quality and solar panel quality. Just as not all RVs have equal build quality, not all solar panels at a given wattage are equal.

Solar panels are made from multiple individual cells joined together to form a panel. Individual solar cells are grade as being A, B, C or D grade. A grade meets all specs, D is useless. Grade C must be recut to be useful, That leaves mostly A & B grades going into panels. B grade cells will cost less than A grade cells.

Also there may be large differences in how the cells are connected together and how well the frame and other components are made. Thus not all panels are equal even if they have the same wattage rating. However, I do not believe price alone indicates quality. Some panel manufactures buy solar cells from other suppliers complicating overall quality control of consumer products.

In my opinion you need to do some research on the brand you're buying. Just like RVs.

Thank You. This is the type of information I Was looking for. I have watched several of Will's videos and have purchased his book. I am a firm believer in getting what you pay for BUT I know paying more does not always translate to getting more.
Old 01-01-2020, 09:20 PM   #15
2015 Itasca Spirit 27QP

My $.02. If you don't fully understand the technology involved, stick with proven integrated systems, built by reputable venders, having a good track record in service, warranty and support. Integrating the pieces yourself will likely be much more complicated than you realize and may not work very well overall and forget about any support if you built it. Companies love to point their finger at the other vender when you encounter issues. I know, I spent decades integrating computer and network components in the distant past.
JoeC is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
panel, solar, solar panel