Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Winnebago Owners Online Community > WINNEBAGO FLEET | MOTORHOMES and TRAILERS > Winnebago Class C Motorhomes
Click Here to Login
Register FilesRegistry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 10-15-2023, 10:19 PM   #1
Winnebago Camper

Upgraded 2021 Navion to Lithium

I recently upgraded my 2021 Navion, replacing the standard lead-acid batteries with a 300Ah LiFePO4 from Epoch batteries. So far, I have been very impressed - even had the chance recently to test at sub-freezing temps in Yellowstone and had no problems. I posted a video on the process as well as some other related content.
Sir Digby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2023, 10:29 PM   #2
Site Team

Greetings Sir Digby,
Very cool video on your battery upgrade!
Welcome to the forum.
Eagle5
Old 10-16-2023, 10:57 AM   #3
Site Team

I checked out your channel and this 2nd video on your channel about Power Management is perfect for answering a lot of people's questions that folks have about dry camping/boondocking questions.

Here's that video:

Old 10-16-2023, 02:41 PM   #4
Site Team

Hi Sir Digby,
I believe the 5 to 6 amp draw for the standard fresh water pump is greatly reduced by the variable-speed water pump controller I installed.
Eagle5
Old 10-16-2023, 06:20 PM   #5
Winnebago Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eagle5 View Post
Hi Sir Digby,
I believe the 5 to 6 amp draw for the standard fresh water pump is greatly reduced by the variable-speed water pump controller I installed.
Eagle5
Interesting - thanks
Old 10-16-2023, 06:56 PM   #6
Winnebago Owner

Thanks for your post, we have the 2021 24V with AGM batteries. We upgraded the solar for a total of 480 watts, So far the AGM's have held up well but I am looking forward to the upgrade.
Sparky19053 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2023, 06:58 PM   #7
Winnebago Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sparky19053 View Post
Thanks for your post, we have the 2021 24V with AGM batteries. We upgraded the solar for a total of 480 watts, So far the AGM's have held up well but I am looking forward to the upgrade.
Upgrading the solar is also on my list. What panels and controller did you go with?
Old 10-17-2023, 02:58 PM   #8
Winnebago Owner

The first panel I added was on the driver side. I used a 200watt panel from Newpowa. Being power hungry as we are these days I then removed the passenger side rear Zamp 100 panel. To do this you will need a heat gun to loosen the caulk. Each of the mounting feet on the zamp panels have at least one screw. Once the caulk is removed the screws are worthless and will pull right out. To seal the mounting holes I filled each hole with Dicor lap seal. After this had cured some I applied Eternabond tape over. On the passenger side I used a 180 watt panel. The choice to use a 180watt panel was because it was shorter allowing more area at the top of the ladder.
To affix the new panels I used 3M VHB to the mounting feet, Be sure to pre-clean the mounting surfaces. Then each of the mounting feet were covered with Dicor self leveling. This has provided a total of 480 watts of solar. The original Zamp ZS-30A controller will handle 510 watts, no need to change it. To adapt the new panels to the Zamp receptacle box on your roof you will need this cable and adapter. https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1. Zamp wiring is backwards.

In two years we rarely run the generator unless its a dark day.
Oh and the 100 watt Zamp panel that we removed later became my power source when the rig is covered for the winter months. On my Navion there is a solar receptacle in the back of your power bay. I mounted the Zamp panel on some 2 x 12 x 30" boards placing it on the cover above one of the new larger panels. Worked great keeping the batteries fresh thru the winter that is until we had a wind storm toss the panel about 100 ft across the yard. The cover was torn off too. There are some very heavy concrete blocks near by that I will be mounting a panel to this winter to keep the power going.
Sparky19053 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2023, 05:56 PM   #9
Winnebago Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sparky19053 View Post
The first panel I added was on the driver side. I used a 200watt panel from Newpowa. Being power hungry as we are these days I then removed the passenger side rear Zamp 100 panel. To do this you will need a heat gun to loosen the caulk. Each of the mounting feet on the zamp panels have at least one screw. Once the caulk is removed the screws are worthless and will pull right out. To seal the mounting holes I filled each hole with Dicor lap seal. After this had cured some I applied Eternabond tape over. On the passenger side I used a 180 watt panel. The choice to use a 180watt panel was because it was shorter allowing more area at the top of the ladder.
To affix the new panels I used 3M VHB to the mounting feet, Be sure to pre-clean the mounting surfaces. Then each of the mounting feet were covered with Dicor self leveling. This has provided a total of 480 watts of solar. The original Zamp ZS-30A controller will handle 510 watts, no need to change it. To adapt the new panels to the Zamp receptacle box on your roof you will need this cable and adapter. https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1. Zamp wiring is backwards.

In two years we rarely run the generator unless its a dark day.
Oh and the 100 watt Zamp panel that we removed later became my power source when the rig is covered for the winter months. On my Navion there is a solar receptacle in the back of your power bay. I mounted the Zamp panel on some 2 x 12 x 30" boards placing it on the cover above one of the new larger panels. Worked great keeping the batteries fresh thru the winter that is until we had a wind storm toss the panel about 100 ft across the yard. The cover was torn off too. There are some very heavy concrete blocks near by that I will be mounting a panel to this winter to keep the power going.
Wow! This is great info - thanks for sharing.
Old 10-31-2023, 03:24 PM   #10
Winnebago Watcher

Watching your video about power usage I see you use Ecoflow to power your Navion. I'm having a problem with my Delta 2 , the automatic transfer switch registers an open ground. Which Ecoflow unit do you use and how did you get around the open ground issue?
Windybagel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2023, 12:01 PM   #11
Winnebago Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Windybagel View Post
Watching your video about power usage I see you use Ecoflow to power your Navion. I'm having a problem with my Delta 2 , the automatic transfer switch registers an open ground. Which Ecoflow unit do you use and how did you get around the open ground issue?
I currently use a Delta Max (has 3-prong outlets) but previously used an original Delta (2-prong). I have not seen any issues with either.