Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Winnebago Owners Online Community > WINNEBAGO TECH & TOW > General Maintenance and Repair
Click Here to Login
Register FilesRegistry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 10-17-2008, 10:25 AM   #1

Winnebago is apparently installing their new "upgraded capacity" basement air in some of the larger than 35' units for 2009.

Does anyone know what that "upgraded" capacity is, and if these units can be installed in current basement air models?
FrontRangeRVer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2008, 10:25 AM   #2

Winnebago is apparently installing their new "upgraded capacity" basement air in some of the larger than 35' units for 2009.

Does anyone know what that "upgraded" capacity is, and if these units can be installed in current basement air models?
Old 10-17-2008, 11:15 AM   #3
Winnebago Master

I heard this at the Pomona RV show last weekend and will be returning tomorrow, so I'll ask if I can find anyone smart enough to answer the question.

Jeff - WA6EQU
'06 Itasca Meridian 34H, CAT C7/350
SCVJeff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2008, 01:38 PM   #4
Winnie-Wise

Hopefully, it might include a fix for the duct work problems people have experenced.. .
Trek-Cyclist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2008, 01:51 PM   #5
Winnebago Owner

I don't remember the numbers but I heard they increased the BTUs.
Numbers 6:24-26
Olive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2008, 02:46 PM   #6
Winnebago Owner

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Trek-Cyclist:
Hopefully, it might include a fix for the duct work problems people have experenced.. . </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

In our case, that would have been remedied by proper design / installation of the vertical ductwork to start with. We're thinking that one of the retaining brackets (the bottom one) was simply left out on initial assembly, causing an overload of what was left.

FMCA; WIT; FCOA; Good Sam; Passport
porscheracer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2008, 03:52 PM   #7
Winnebago Master

Maybe just the plastic blower and new bushings?

Where do the "upgraded capacity" words appear? I don't see in the '09 Adventurer brochure...

tderonne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2008, 06:34 PM   #8
Winnebago Master

Upgrade???

If it got any colder in my 2008 39W I could hang meat in it for the nearest butcher shop!!!
Wayne M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2008, 06:43 PM   #9
Winnebago Master

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Trek-Cyclist:
Hopefully, it might include a fix for the duct work problems people have experenced.. . </div></BLOCKQUOTE>As far as I know, this was an issue with coaches built prior to mine. There were some duct separation problems and the plastic "Y" in the back cap that divides the output for the two ceiling duct runs was splitting in some cases. I think Winnie now has that under control. There were several product refinements from the early '04 Vectra/Horizons to when mine was built. They were certainly paying attention and introducing improvements as production matured.

2005 Horizon 40AD, 2005 Jeep Liberty CRD
John_Canfield is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2008, 07:32 PM   #10
Winnebago Master

I was at the GNR in July where they told us the new capacity is 15K btu, up from standard 13.5K btu for each of the two compressors.

The coils are bigger while the current required is the same. I was in the new 34 Journey with the bigger a/c and was confirming the current draw on the Powerline display since the a/c was running full bore at the time. It was hot and we had 8 adults inside on the guided tour. The display was showing about 22 amps.... not bad for 30K btu of cooling.
Old 10-18-2008, 01:16 PM   #11

Thanks Bill...this is what I was looking for.

There have been lots of undercooling complaints for coaches larger than 35 feet, and it looks like Winnebago has stepped up to the plate with this bigger unit for the larger units. I was curious if they had bigger coils as the current ones are undersized...even for our standard basement air.

I wonder if it would be possible for a swap out for the larger unit....hmmmmm

Now....if they would only have a better insulation package (especially around where the roof connects to the side walls...totally uninsulated extruded aluminum)....we would all be set!
Old 10-18-2008, 02:19 PM   #12
Winnebago Master

I really don't want it much cooler than I have right now. When ya get old, I think the blood thins out even tho the insulation increases
Old 10-19-2008, 01:38 AM   #13
Winnebago Master

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Duner:
I was at the GNR in July where they told us the new capacity is 15K btu, up from standard 13.5K btu for each of the two compressors.

The coils are bigger while the current required is the same. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>The Winne factory guy at the Pomona show confirmed this. Wonder if they take trade-ins..

Jeff - WA6EQU
'06 Itasca Meridian 34H, CAT C7/350
SCVJeff is offline   Reply With Quote