Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Winnebago Owners Online Community > WINNEBAGO TECH & TOW > Electrical | Charging, Solar and Electronics
Click Here to Login
Register FilesRegistry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 01-18-2007, 02:46 AM   #1
Winnebago Owner

Do you still trust it to stay where you put it when you're driving?

I have removed our dinasour tube TV and installed a LCD in its place using a LCD wall mount on 1" marine grade plywood. I attach the TV after stopping to the mount using the mounts screwed into the back of the TV in the holes designed for that mount.

But I can't bring myself to drive with the TV setup like that. I BELIEVE it to be secure..the mounts are bolted in, the rack/rail system locks down.....but.....the 4 attach points on the LCD seem fragile.

Any reassuring conversions out there?

2017 Cedar Creek 38EL/2015 Silverado 3500HD
CC38EL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2007, 02:46 AM   #2
Winnebago Owner

Do you still trust it to stay where you put it when you're driving?

I have removed our dinasour tube TV and installed a LCD in its place using a LCD wall mount on 1" marine grade plywood. I attach the TV after stopping to the mount using the mounts screwed into the back of the TV in the holes designed for that mount.

But I can't bring myself to drive with the TV setup like that. I BELIEVE it to be secure..the mounts are bolted in, the rack/rail system locks down.....but.....the 4 attach points on the LCD seem fragile.

Any reassuring conversions out there?

Old 01-18-2007, 04:07 AM   #3
Winnebago Master

Jim - our small bedroom LCD has traveled well for several thousand miles but I needed to use pliers to tighten the articulating mount past "finger" tight.

If the TV mounting footprint of the arm is the same size for a much larger TV, I would be concerned about the lever-arm force of the mount on both ends. Maybe you can devise a capture device to secure the TV while underway.

When we finally get around to scrapping the LR tube for an LCD, I will build in a immobilization device.

2005 Horizon 40AD, 2005 Jeep Liberty CRD
John_Canfield is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2007, 05:39 AM   #4
Winnebago Master

Jim:

I also replaced my rear 19" tube TV with a 20" flat LCD. My mounting scheme sounds like what you did....plywood, metal wall mount bolted to rear of TV. I have no swing arm so that is not an issue.

I check mine after travel and so far so good. On our trip out west, if it did not shake loose on some of the roads we traveled, I'm fairly confident it will stay put. I do have two small pieces of closed cell foam at each lower corner because the TV frame was making contact with the wood trim.
'07 Country Coach Allure 470 Siskiyou Summit #31578, Cummins ISL 425; 2014 Ford F150 toad; Air Force One Toad Brake.
Glen Allen, VA; Smith Mountain Lake, VA.
smlranger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2007, 02:11 PM   #5
Winnebago Owner

ua40j
I believe I have seen your posting on this very subject in numerous email groups and forums.
The LCD TV has to be several pounds lighter than your old tube type.
Due to the weight issue, if I were you, I wuld not worry. Seems like a moot point to me.
journey15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2007, 02:33 PM   #6
Winnebago Owner

I did this a while ago and all has been fine.

Go to this link to see what I did Flat Panel TV
FLYTYER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2007, 03:10 PM   #7
Winnebago Owner

Flytyer,

That is the exact same installation I did. Except for the turnbuckles. I can't see it very well in the photos, but didn't your mount have locks on the piece that fit over the rail?

Nice job.

Old 01-19-2007, 02:45 AM   #8
Winnebago Owner

Thanks to all. I've picked up a few tips and will be installing some additional securing devices (liked the idea of velcro travel straps).

Blucrabbie...it is indeed MANY pounds lighter than the tube TV, so I'm not as concerned as before. But like smlranger, I have traveled on roads like I-40 through Arkansas (where I believe several fillings in my teeth were vibrated loose) and was concerned about the small bolts that go into the LCD frame. But I've checked them and tightened them and now am ready for a trip to test them.

I checked the insurance policy and we're good to go.

Old 01-19-2007, 01:49 PM   #9
Winnebago Owner

I am interested in how you secure the LCD as we will be replacing ours hopefully this year.
I am so tired of it squeaking. DH came up wid idea of using rubber door stops on all 4 corners to make it stop squeaking but of course you could be subject to a flying missile when encountering a serious bump in the road.
So thanks.
journey15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2007, 06:23 AM   #10
Winnebago Owner

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by ua40j:
Flytyer,

That is the exact same installation I did. Except for the turnbuckles. I can't see it very well in the photos, but didn't your mount have locks on the piece that fit over the rail?

Nice job. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Yes there were locks and would probably work well on a wall at home. I just did not trust them and wanted a real secure installation. The turn buckles absolutely hold the TV from any bounce, vibration, or movement.
FLYTYER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2007, 07:04 AM   #11
Winnebago Master

When I installed the LCD in bedroom some pivot points had allen type screws to lock in a pivot point. I used two the others have the thumb type screw for adjusting. I also added a couple of small brass hooks near top of LCD corners and placed a small cord bungee cord from each hook across top of LCD. My LCD had plastic corner protection where the cord rests.
RV SYSTEMS & APPLIANCES & RECALLS --- TECH INFORMATION
"007" is offline   Reply With Quote