Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Winnebago Owners Online Community > WINNEBAGO TECH & TOW > Plumbing | Systems and Fixtures
Click Here to Login
Register FilesRegistry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 08-23-2022, 07:50 PM   #1
Site Team

Water Pump Variable Speed Controller for a 22M

After jwiebe posted his Thread:
IRVWPC Water Pump Controller
I was intrigued to try this out for myself. I ordered the Intelligent Recreational Vehicle Water Pump Controller (IRVWPC) from the Canadian company:
https://www.irvwpc.com/
Total cost here in the States was $220.71, and it took ten days to arrive. The IRVWPC maintains a constant pressure for your plumbing by varying the water pump speed.

Here are the components supplied:

I did not need these components for my particular installation:

Here is the stock water pump on a 22M before installation of the IRVWPC:

I used eight Command Strips with the velcro-like head-lock surface. This allows you to remove the controller if need be:

The first ten pages of the provided instruction manual are straightforward. I have the wires hanging loosely so that you can see things a little better:

In this picture, I have used two zip-ties to secure the wiring a little more neatly:

Adjustments:
The unit comes pre-programmed for an on-demand water heater. As the 22M uses a 6-gallon tank heater, I needed to reprogram the unit for Tank Mode. I have enumerated the steps outlined in the programming video below:
Switch-on 12 VDC.
Remove controller cover.
Move Rotary Selector to <1>.
Flip all Dip Switches to <On>.
Hold down the Program Button <SW1> until <Run> & <Press> flash alternatingly.
When only <Run> is blinking quickly, a simple press of the Program Button <SW1> will set it to Tank Mode. <Fault> & <Press> will flash too, and then only <Run> will continue flashing.
Shut-off 12 VDC.
Move Rotary Selector back to <2>.
Flip Dip Switches 3, 4, & 5 to the <Off> position.
Switch-on 12 VDC.

---------------------------------------
If you wish to confirm that you are in Tank Mode:
Shut-off 12 VDC.
Flip Dip Switch 1 to <Off>.
Switch-on 12 VDC.
LEDs flash from <Max> to <Fault>.
Shut-off 12 VDC.
Flip Dip Switch 1 to <On>.
Replace controller cover.
Switch-on 12 VDC.
I was still getting some pump on/off pulsation with low water flow. This was because the stock pump's original pressure controller was set for too low a pressure, which was very close to the 30 psi the IRVWPC tries to maintain. To fix this, I increased the pump's built-in pressure regulator with a 1/16" Allen Wrench and two full turns tighter.
I am very happy with the performance of this water pressure regulator, and I highly recommend it.
Eagle5
Old 08-24-2022, 02:04 AM   #2
Winnebago Owner

What would be the advantage over the usual system?

Regards!
Tony65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2022, 09:23 AM   #3
Site Team

Hi Tony,
Here are the advantages:
1.) The pressure in your system remains constant, so faucets and shower-heads behave like those in your home; without pulsation.
2.) It is quieter, with a drop of approximately 10 dB for typical water flows. (see jwiebe's post)
3.) The fully-off / fully-on "hammering" of the pump is eliminated, as the pump gently ramps up and down in speed.
4.) It saves water, as many folks will subconsciously fully crack open a faucet with more stream than they might have otherwise needed, just to stop the hammering.
Thanks, Eagle5
Old 08-24-2022, 03:11 PM   #4
Site Team

In a further review of the Operator's Manual, and also after an on-line chat with the folks at:
https://www.irvwpc.com/
I have found out that the only safety feature activated by the factory is the Dry Run Timer (Dip #6.) This is a feature everyone should want, as it shuts the pump down after 30 seconds of running dry.
Consistent with my instructions above, here are what the six Dip Switches control:
#1 = <Off> on power-up shows the current Mode (Tank Mode or On-demand Mode; set to <On> for normal operation.
#2 = no function; not used.
#3 = Run Watchdog Timer; when <On> will shut-down the pump after 5 minutes of steady-state use; default is <Off>.
#4 = Low Flow Cycling Counter; when <On> will shut the pump off due to a dripping faucet; default is <Off>.
#5 = Long Run Timer; when <On> will cut power to the pump after 60 minutes of non-use; default is <Off>.
#6 = Dry Run Timer; when <On> will shut-down the pump after 30 seconds of pumping air; default is <On>.
Old 08-25-2022, 01:56 PM   #5
Winnebago Owner

Very interesting, I'll give it a thought. I hope it is not difficult to do the installation.
Old 08-25-2022, 05:31 PM   #6
Site Team

Hi Tony,
Regarding the installation, I don't think of it as being difficult, but rather, I think of it as being fun. A little plumbing and a little computer work; who could ask for anything more?
James from The Fit RV has a good video here, which shows the reason for the IRVWPC and its installation. Hopefully, my notes will be of use too.
Eagle5
Old 08-26-2022, 03:42 PM   #7
Winnebago Owner

I will put this job on my agenda. Thanks so much!
Old 11-10-2022, 06:44 PM   #8
Winnebago Owner

Thanks, I'll have to check it out.
Ed
edju is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
water, water pump