Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 12-09-2022, 11:49 PM   #1
Winnebago Watcher

Navion/View - Ditch the Spare Tire?

We recently purchased a 2020 Navion and are going through everything from picking out sheets to deciding on what upgrades to make. (Beige sheets and a Hellwig sway bar, among other things, thanks for asking.)

Anyway

We're trying hard to stay within the max weight limit for the vehicle, and while I was under the rear of the coach contemplating sway bars I noticed that big spare tire. Some thoughts:

• It's big, heavy, and I can't really get enthused at the thought of getting under there , wrestling it out of the mount, then wrestling the flat tire off and the spare on. Back in my 20's, sure, now, not so much.

• It's a dually, so if it's a flat rear we could likely limp to a shop.

• If it's a front flat could one move an outside rear tire to the front and limp to a shop?

• A couple of cans of Fix A Flat would likely allow limping to a shop.

• That would save a lot of weight that could better be carried in the form of beer.

I'm really tempted to leave the spare behind. Tell me why I shouldn't.
Loren D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2022, 12:37 AM   #2
Site Team

Hi Loren,
The dualies cannot be safely driven when one is missing or is flat. You could get AAA Premium RV or something like that to get roadside service.
Welcome to the forum.
Eagle5
Old 12-10-2022, 06:36 AM   #3
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eagle5 View Post
Hi Loren,
The dualies cannot be safely driven when one is missing or is flat. You could get AAA Premium RV or something like that to get roadside service.
Welcome to the forum.
Eagle5
Driving on a flat or low pressure dually is a recipe for a fire, not just a damaged beyond repair tire. That's one of the reasons a tire pressure monitoring system (TPMS) is a good idea if your Navion isn't so equipped. A flat or low dually isn't always apparent when driving and a flat or low inside dually isn't visually apparent.

Having a spare available will make roadside assistance less expensive and easier to get.
BobC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2022, 07:52 AM   #4
Winnebago Master

This is where we each have differing needs and wants. I have never had a tire problem on any motorhome. Does that mean I'm safe? No and it may catch me at any time but I also am not going to start changing tires at this point, so calling road service is sure to be better in the areas I travel.
What's the odss of that tire being any use if it hangs under there for years and years with nobody checking it?
I am ok with just taking the bigger hit of having road service bring one out and not sweat whether the old spare is going to have air!

Odds of me getting the lug nuts loose also has to figure into the idea!
Morich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2022, 09:01 AM   #5
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Loren D. View Post

• If it's a front flat could one move an outside rear tire to the front and limp to a shop?
If you have Alcoa wheels the rears are different than the fronts (look at the part number stamped into the wheel). Also the rear inners will be steel.
I contemplated removing my spare but decided it was not a good idea. Even if you lose one dual and drive even a short distance there will be permanent damage to the remaining, now overloaded tire.
As far as keeping the spare fresh, every time you buy new tires one of the old ones should be swapped into the spare location. I also keep a TPMS sensor on the spare.
My available payload is very meager, less than the View/Navion but it's very much doable. Your biggest problem will be people, if more than 2 people the payload will go quick. There is only 2 of us and payload is easily managed, mostly by traveling with near empty tanks, and we find we don't really need a lot of extra stuff, just the basics.
Surprisingly the loud and smelly diesel generator (which we rarely need) weighs in at 200 lbs and I have considered removing it and carrying a small Honda instead which frees up 150 lbs, lots more than the spare wheel/tire which is around 65 lbs.
Oh and I believe the white sheets are lighter than the beige sheets by .001 gram due to the coloring
Old 12-10-2022, 04:53 PM   #6
Winnebago Watcher

Thanks for the replies.
Loren D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2022, 10:11 AM   #7
Winnebago Camper

spare tire on 2022 navion

I would HIGHLY recommend NOT removing the spare. While traveling on I-15 south in Utah I had a blowout on my inside tire. Of course it was a holiday weekend, Sunday and fortunately the next exit had a truck repair facility. They could not work on replacing the spare for at least 2 hours so I called my State Farm roadside assistance. 3 hours later I was back on the road. Without a spare I would have been stuck at the truck garage until Monday. There is a reason we have a full size spare it being the Mercedes vehicles tire is not available at most truck repair nor normal tire stores.
johnmedman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2022, 10:14 AM   #8
Winnebago Master

I agree with Johnmedman but, if you do decide to ditch it, keep it in the garage since you may change your mind. I also suggest waiting until you're absolutely sure that you're going to be weight challenged.
BobC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2022, 10:48 AM   #9
Winnebago Owner

Reading posts like this all the time really makes me wonder why Mercedes doesn't bring out a heavier duty version of their chassis ... a 4XXX version.

The Ford 450 and Chevy 4500 chassis van chassis sure seem to fill a much needed hole for when heavier Class B+ and Class C weight carrying capacity is needed.

i.e. We have a 24 ft. Class C that we can load up with no over-weight concerns because it's built on an E450 chassis.
Old 12-17-2022, 12:46 PM   #10
Winnebago Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phil G. View Post
Reading posts like this all the time really makes me wonder why Mercedes doesn't bring out a heavier duty version of their chassis ... a 4XXX version.

The Ford 450 and Chevy 4500 chassis van chassis sure seem to fill a much needed hole for when heavier Class B+ and Class C weight carrying capacity is needed.

i.e. We have a 24 ft. Class C that we can load up with no over-weight concerns because it's built on an E450 chassis.
This string discusses why they're not using the 4500 chassis -
https://sprinter-source.com/forums/i...threads/91249/
jayelldouble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2022, 05:37 PM   #11
Winnebago Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by jayelldouble View Post
This string discusses why they're not using the 4500 chassis -
https://sprinter-source.com/forums/i...threads/91249/
Thanks for the link above. Reading it and trying to digest it ... the situation with the MB 3500 chassis versus MB 4500 being used under motorhomes in the U.S. seems "somewhat complex".

I'm glad we have an overkill Ford E450 cutaway chassis under our small Class C instead of a (marginal?) MB 3500 chassis. Regarding any "harsh ride" one might expect we would be experiencing - we aren't - because all the extra weight we have piled onto/into our small Class C smooths out the ride from the seemingly overkill chassis under it.

So I guess we're kindof getting the best of both worlds - a small but heavily loaded small RV that at the same rides decent, is safe carrying it's weight, and ... also has a rugged chassis under it.

Tags
view