Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Winnebago Owners Online Community > WINNEBAGO FLEET | MOTORHOMES and TRAILERS > Winnebago Class C Motorhomes
Click Here to Login
Register FilesRegistry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 05-10-2021, 03:58 PM   #1
Winnebago Master

Fixing 55MPH display on dashboard of 2020+ View/Navion

Since picking up our 21D last summer, the dashboard display hasn't shown speed limits above 55 MPH.

Today, our local MB Sprinter service was asked to fix the problem, and after performing a software update - the correct highway speed is now shown on the dashboard!

And, it looks like we have a new version of Android Auto. The AA icons are now displayed in a vertical bar on the left side of the AA display.

Not sure I like this - since the media controls that used to be displayed on the bottom, are now gone - requiring entering the media app in order to pause/play or skip forward/backward.

Two steps forward... One step back...

Now I wonder if we're getting the automatic software updates we are supposed to be with MBUX and Mercedes Me... We haven't seen any software updates since getting our View 11 months ago...
rprochnow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2021, 07:14 PM   #2
Winnebago Camper

My 2021 View only shows speed limits up to 55 mph also.
How long did it take them to do the software update?
I had taken my View into Mercedes in Phoenix and they said they would have to keep it overnight to try to fix the Traffic Sign Assist 55 mph problem and I couldn’t stay.
Bobbit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2021, 06:35 AM   #3
Winnebago Master

It took several hours for Mercedes in Sugar Land (TX) to do the update and a test drive to verify it worked.

We're supposed to get automatic software updates for the MBUX system. Since the Android Auto interface was updated when they fixed the 55 MPH problem, that probably means MBUX received a software update - and not clear why that update hadn't been installed automatically before...
Old 05-11-2021, 11:04 AM   #4
Winnie-Wise

By "Mercedes Sprinter service" did you go to a Mercedes car dealer to get this done?

by the way the 55MPH is something we see with our 2020 Sprinter but also with our Garmin 760 GPS and that is with the latest updates installed.
Elkman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2021, 12:41 PM   #5
Winnebago Master

Our nearest Mercedes dealership also services Sprinter vans - a dealership that services cars only will probably not be able to help.

Interesting that the Garmin is having the same issue. Unless MB has licensed Garmin's nav software, the two issues are probably unrelated.
Old 05-11-2021, 08:30 PM   #6
Winnie-Wise

There are only two companies in the world that maintain the database used by 100% of the GPS devices. The great thing about computers is that bad data inputted by humans gets propagated again and again and again.
Old 05-11-2021, 09:29 PM   #7
Winnie-Wise

So I connected my phone to my 2020 View for the first time a short while ago. During the process, the MBUX display said it was doing the latest map update on the top of the screen. I didn't hit any buttons or anything of sorts.

I shut off my 55 mph display function off on my last trip. I think this was the first trip I've had where my caution with beeping sound goes off randomly didn't happen. Not sure if the 55mph is related to that problem. The Mercedes me connect app works nicely. Too bad there is no remote start or TPMS.
Old 05-12-2021, 06:57 AM   #8
Winnebago Master

Agree that remote start is a missing feature that would be very useful - especially because our diesel generator doesn't have auto-gen-start, which can be used to run the generator automatically so the A/C can run if the coach gets too hot.

TPMS can be added with 3rd party - and while it would be better to have it integrated, it's actually more useful to have it with a separate device. When checking tire pressures before a trip, I take the TireMinder monitor outside and for any tires that are too high or too low, I remove the sensor, add/remove air, and when I screw the sensor cap back on, I instantly get a digital reading - much easier than dealing with a tire pressure gauge...

With out Tesla vehicles, we've had problems with the speed limit database they are using - and because they keep that database in the vehicle and it isn't updated very frequently, the database is almost guaranteed to be incorrect in areas of new or recent construction - or if the road beds have shifted (when adding or removing lanes). The problem with the MBUX speed limit display was something different - for some reason the software decided to cap the speed limit at 55 MPH - perhaps because MBUX thought we were towing vehicles in states with 55 MPH towing limits...
Old 05-15-2021, 06:07 AM   #9
Winnebago Master

This problem is NOT FIXED.

After the updates, the speed limit is now capped at 65 MPH (not 55 MPH), even when the posted speed limit is 70 or 75 MPH.

If the MBUX system is supposed to read the speed limit signs, it is ignoring those with speed limits above 65.

So whatever was done with the fix - only increased the cap - the speed limit is still capped and not reflecting the posted speed.

Have reported this to our MB Sprinter dealer and will continue working with them to find a solution.
Old 05-15-2021, 11:13 AM   #10
Winnie-Wise

It is not so much a problem as a minor annoyance. The Attention Assist "feature" is a major annoyance as it activates and flashes continually the orange warning in the display when driving if there are any crosswinds. It is not a matter of Attention but of it creating a Distraction when I want to focus on the highway and other vehicles around me.
Old 05-15-2021, 01:26 PM   #11
Winnebago Master

However... This is a feature MB claims is provided with Sprinter MBUX - and I'll keep working with our Sprinter service until it works.

This seems like a simple issue - something was limiting the displayed limit to 55 and now it's limiting at 65.
Old 05-17-2021, 01:59 PM   #12
Winnebago Camper

I have a 2021 24D and the speed limit was stuck at 55 as the max also. Then one day it wasn't so I assumed that it was an over the air update to the MBUX. Now it won't go over 65 and I assume that it is reading the truck speed on the interstate signs and not the car speed limit. Many times both speed limits are posted on the same sign. Just a thought
Vince5764 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2021, 09:06 PM   #13
Winnebago Master

Texas doesn't have separate speed limits for cars and commercial trucks - the signs only have one speed - MBUX caps the limit at 65, even though highways here have 70, 75 and 80 MPH speed limits...

I suspect the "fix" applied by Sprinter service was an MBUX update - which we should have received OTA automatically - because not only did the cap go up from 55 to 65, but Android Auto has been changed - the status icons are now in a vertical bar - providing more room for the map, but eliminating the media controls that used to be at the bottom of the map while navigating.

Will touch base with our Sprinter service tomorrow about this issue...
Old 05-18-2021, 03:40 PM   #14
Winnebago Master

Just heard back from our Sprinter service.

The maximum (recommended) speed for Sprinters appears to be 82 MPH.

This is not documented in the Sprinter manual.

They are going to reach out to MB to find out how to fix the 65 speed limit display cap.
Old 06-08-2021, 01:24 PM   #15
Winnie-Wise

Mine magically started working last weekend and was consistent with changes in posted limits. Went up to 75 MPH driving through Utah. I did notice a couple of updates were done through notifications sent to me through the Mercedes Me Connect App. I do recall having to turn on automatic download on the touchscreen.
Old 06-08-2021, 08:49 PM   #16
Winnebago Master

An interesting feature we discovered today...

Driving Rocky Mountain National Park, since there wasn't any cell phone signal, we had to use the MBUX navigation instead of Google Maps with Android Auto.

When approaching a hairpin curve, there was a yellow warning sign with a recommended speed (either 15 or 20 MPH). When we passed the sign, the MBUX navigation display would show the posted speed limit and below that in yellow the recommended speed.

Unfortunately, the recommended speed wasn't displayed on the dashboard, so I didn't even realize it was happening (not going to look at the map while driving down the side of a mountain...

This experience also reinforces the need to keep the MBUX maps updated. Mercedes recently released updates to all of the North American maps, and I loaded those from USB right before we left on the trip.
Old 06-13-2021, 02:40 PM   #17
Winnebago Master

It appears the 65 MPH speed limit cap only happens while in Texas.

When driving in Colorado and New Mexico, the correct speed limit was displayed.

The Texas maps were the only ones automatically updated - I manually downloaded the updates for the rest of the maps.

So i went into mercedes me website and turned off automatic map updates - and will see if the next Texas update fixes the issue.

Though since that may be a while, I will also have Mercedes service look it when they have the RV to check on our cruise control problems.
Old 07-11-2021, 06:50 PM   #18
Winnebago Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by crah View Post
Mine magically started working last weekend and was consistent with changes in posted limits. Went up to 75 MPH driving through Utah. I did notice a couple of updates were done through notifications sent to me through the Mercedes Me Connect App. I do recall having to turn on automatic download on the touchscreen.
Where was that automatic download button. On your phone or the radio.
berniez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2021, 08:37 AM   #19
Winnebago Master

Mercedes service made some changes during our last service to see if they could eliminate the 65 MPH cap in Texas. Evidently our Sprinter was configured as a commercial vehicle that is supposed to have a max speed of 65 - so they tried to change the configuration to allow a higher speed in TX.

Will check during our next road trip in a few weeks.

If an RV is using a 2019 or later Sprinter, and Mercedes Me Connect has been activated, automatic software updates should automatically enabled on the Mercedes Me Connect website and in the app (the service is marked as enabled, and can't be disabled).

The other place to look is in the MBUX settings in the vehicle. I don't have access to our View right now, but as I recall, there is a setting in MBUX to enable or disable the automatic software updates.
Old 07-12-2021, 03:20 PM   #20
Winnie-Wise

Quote:
Originally Posted by berniez View Post
Where was that automatic download button. On your phone or the radio.
I remember it on the MBUX far right menu under vehicle info. Can't really miss it once you get there.
crah is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
dash, view