Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Winnebago Owners Online Community > WINNEBAGO FLEET | MOTORHOMES and TRAILERS > Winnebago Class C Motorhomes
Click Here to Login
Register FilesRegistry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 11-10-2021, 05:42 PM   #1
Winnebago Camper

Navion Spare Tire removal and new tire

I had to replace one front tire due to alignment issue.
RV require a special wheel alignment (Commercial) operation to perform a wheel alignment

I thought I would share my experience. The Spare tire is under the chassis at the rear in front of the water tank. This spare tire (never used) is a Continental Vanco Four Season Radial (OEM).
I bought a 2021 Continental VANCONTACT A/S a 4 season radial for the front also. Continental said it is the same thread design but has different exterior branding.

It was difficult to understand the removal of the spare tire tire from the under chassis cage using the bottle jack, Mercedes provided. The metal tag above the cage clips had to be bent from the bottle jack force to unhook and drop the cage.
I have ALCOA rims on the front tire.

The Tire store claims there was a metal band to break off so they could mount the new spare tire to these rims.

Just sharing my experience
Lefler39 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2021, 10:17 PM   #2
Site Team

Hi Lefler39,
That was a great idea to use your bottle jack to help ease-out the spare tire. I have never lowered my spare tire, but I'll keep that in mind. Right as I brought my 22M home in January 2019, I removed all six tires to wash the road salts off the back-sides, and to facilitate cleaning the undercarriage more thoroughly. Other than that, I haven't needed to re-remove any wheels.
Thanks, Eagle5
Old 11-18-2021, 04:56 AM   #3
Winnebago Camper

I have a 2019 View. I had to remove the spare tire once to replace a flat. Removing the spare isn’t all that bad, just requires a little strength to lower it down. The worse part is getting underneath the unit to do it. But I am glad I did it as I now know what is involved. One could go for years and never need the spare.
rx4fishing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2021, 11:14 AM   #4
Winnebago Master

We have HWH levelling in our 21D - which adds a horizontal bar across the back of the spare tire rack, which must be removed to get the tire out.

The rack itself is secured by two bolts holding the tire rack up.

Unfortunately, when we had a flat tire, the technician that came out to the RV was unable to remove one of the bolts because the nut was stripped - and he was concerned that if he removed the nut, he wouldn't be able to secure the old tire back in the tire rack.

We ordered a replacement bolt, and it looks like Winnebago changed the part, because it's not the same size as the original bolt - but at least the nut isn't stripped so we can access the spare tire now.
rprochnow is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
removal