Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Winnebago Owners Online Community > WINNEBAGO FLEET | MOTORHOMES and TRAILERS > Winnebago Class C Motorhomes
Click Here to Login
Register FilesRegistry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 12-23-2022, 03:12 PM   #1
Winnebago Watcher

2017 Aspect Step Height

We have a 2017 Winnie Aspect. Love everything about it except the interior entry steps. WAY too tall for short older folks. Anybody have ideas to to modify from 2 10" high steps to lower rise (7" or 8")?
Dori is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2022, 03:14 AM   #2
Winnebago Master

My first thought was to build a 2in platform that would set on the stairs. But then I realized that would not solve the problem. I you added 2in to the first step it would mean a very large step from outside to inside. Then if you put a 2in platform on inside step 2 you would still have the 10 in step distance.

I guess if you were to put the 2in platform on the second inside step would maybe be the best answer. I would use 2by lumber even though its not 2in. you could get a combination of widths to fit and cover with 1/4plywood. I would get 4 "L" brackets and screw them to the side of coach step well and top of platform. That should hold it in place.

Also would help to purchase an outside step with adjustable legs.

Just my thoughs good luck
be happy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2022, 09:18 AM   #3
Site Team

Hi Dori,
Another way to solve the problem is to reduce the load on your legs for each 10" rise.

--- Firstly, I would recommend that you add a couple of step carpets which will reduce the slipperiness of the steps, allowing you to better angle-leverage yourself up the steps.

--- Secondly, I would add an additional hand rail on the right-hand side, so that you can use both arms to help yourself up into the motorhome. The Winnebago part number for the existing hand rail is 137605-02-CHT, or you might find something simple like a generic RV Grab Handle.

My 92 year old mother-in-law does well with this combination in my Minnie Winnie.
Welcome to the forum.
Eagle5

Old 12-24-2022, 09:42 AM   #4
Winnebago Master

When dealing with this question for a one time trip, we found 4X4 was the better size for a couple reasons. One it got the added height to fit what we needed and it also had more weight which held it in place better.
If it had been a long term need, we would have done more to attach it firmly but found the weight allowed us to just lay the short lengths in the steps after they were connected together to the correct size to fit the step area good and snug.
For the starting point which was already too high for that person, we had a step stool but also used a set of blocks for them to board at the steps stool!
Due to recovery from a broken hip, the step up was limited to around 3-4 inches on each rise so the 3 1/2 of a 4X4 was about right.
Relatively easy to build with just the sections of 4X attached together with 1X at both ends and just laid in the step well, made for good use without long term damage to the RV.
Morich is online now   Reply With Quote