Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Winnebago Owners Online Community > WINNEBAGO FLEET | MOTORHOMES and TRAILERS > Winnebago Class C Motorhomes
Click Here to Login
Register FilesRegistry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 04-28-2023, 08:00 AM   #1
obx
Winnebago Camper

Class C 2021 22M on a 350 chassis?

Continuing our search for a Class C and have narrowed it down to either 22R, a 22M or a 25B. I'm looking at a 2021 22M right now online and plan to see it in person next Tuesday. It's on a 350 chassis.

The owner was good enough to send me a photo of the door sticker and the cargo carrying capacity is 2253 lbs. What is the voice of experience on that?
obx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2023, 09:33 AM   #2
Winnebago Master

Sorry , but I have no experience with that model.

But, when shopping, I like to find out as much as possible on lots of things and part of that is the way it is put together and details like where and how the holding tanks set.

This is the interactive parts catalog that lets us not only look at floorplans but details of size, capacity, location, etc. But the really great thing I like is the ability to "look through walls" and at the same time get the details, names, sizes on a list next to the drawings!

https://catalog3d.winnebagoind.com/menu/Parts.htm

It can help to sort out those hidden details like how a drain may have to use a second pump as it goes up and over the rear axle, etc. or the drain valves have to use an extended cable line to reach a valve set way back out of reach!

Lots of info on lots of Winnebago? Things like owners manuals and tons of info on drawings etc. can be found under the "owners " tab at top right, then at top left on the next site:
https://www.winnebago.com/

If I buy fewer problems, I have fewer things to fix! Shopping can be a trek but it sure beats trying to fix a mistake I bought!
Morich is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2023, 01:40 PM   #3
Site Team

Hi OBX,
Ford added an extra 1,000 pounds of cargo carrying capacity to the 2021 E-350, so it is now rated at 12,500 pounds, rather than 11,500. In 2019, the E-350 was very easy to overload, so for me and a 2019 model, I opted for the E-450 at 14,500. My capacity sticker is below, and your 2021 E-350 values should be about 2,000 pounds less, which would be just fine.
Thanks, Eagle5
Old 04-28-2023, 09:38 PM   #4
2019 Winnebago Sunstar 27

OBX,

Just a few comments about the 22M;

I had a 2018 22M on an E 450 chassis. I found the unit nimble, extremely easy to drive and small enough to fit anywhere. It was very limited in counter space, so I added a flip up counter extension. That being said, I THINK that Winnibago installs a flip up extension as standard equipment now. We did find the U shaped dinnette not overly comfortable for after dinner evening sitting.
Another area that always gave me pause was the grey and black water dump valve locations; as the valves themselves are on the passenger side of the coach while the dump output is on the driver side the valves are operated by long extension cables which could be difficult to open and close. In addition after closing the valves there was always some fluid left in the pipe. To avoid splillage after removing the cap I added a simple additional Valterra twist on gate valve.

The dual pane windows in the 22M are a great install, help to keep cold, noise and moisture out and heat in.

And again as I had the E 450 OCCC was never an issue
Lowdie24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2023, 06:50 PM   #5
Winnebago Owner

We have a 2021 22M and as Mr. Eagle pointed out Ford upped the GVWR. It also has the newer 7.3 Godzilla V-8. We’ve been averaging in the 10-11 MPG range. Also as Lowdie pointed out the tank drain handles are on the opposite side of the actual valves. Again Mr. Eagle had an excellent suggestion as far as lubrication and we’ve had no issue with them operating easily. It is a strange setup though. When it’s set up with the slide out extended there’s very little movement of the chassis. It did come with the rear electric stabilizers however we’ve never used them. There’s just myself and my wife and for us there’s just the right amount of space. So far we’ve taken it out for a 3 week road trip and it’s been very comfortable.
Raxel7851 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2023, 08:28 AM   #6
Winnebago Camper

2021 22m

We have a 2021 22M on E350 chassis and it works well for us. But we don’t tow anything, don’t drive over 70mph, and chose not to attempt 10,000 foot elevations driving across Colorado. We finally have all the factory problems fixed except for the black/greywater valves malfunctioning. Back for a second dealer repair on that next week. Did add an extra Valterra as mentioned. It lasted almost a year before a bump or something tore it off.
arthur145 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2023, 07:18 AM   #7
Winnebago Owner

Have a 22M for 7 yrs, log 10K miles/ yr. in many weather situations. Vary happy with overall performance but if I was to do it over again I would:

1. Floor layout - depends on your usage & life style. Getting up/down the ladder to overhead sleeping (M) is challenging in the middle of the night, crawling over your companion to access the bathroom. The foldout bed leaves little passage room even with the slide extended, and blocks the entry door so again, crawl over your companion. Floor layouts (G,J) with a fixed in place bed provide a place for the spouse to rest during long trips.

2. Weight carrying capacity/suspension - definitely an issue for the class B. Even unloaded vehicle handling is dicey. 1st mods I made were stiffer sway bar, heavy duty shocks and Timbren OL springs, Many miles logged in CO above 10K' elevation and in WY, NV strong wind. Need to checkout weather (wind) conditions in this high profile vehicle before travel. Tire choice and inflation pressure is important for winter weather, have traveled in the snow on occasion - advice is DON'T DO IT. Wind will push vehicle off the road, stay at a hotel/RV Park. Ironically, the heavy weight has marginal advantage in snow but once the vehicle starts sliding there is little one can do to recover.
IF winter driving, use heavy bedding material, sleeping bags are useful, reduce propane consumption. Install heaters in front seats.

FUEL CAPACITY is marginal at 20 gal, I have installed a hitch mount cargo carrier with 3ea 5 gal diesel cans (more weight), extending the range to well over 300 miles.

Overall, I am happy with the 22M it is very good answer to a moderate nomadic lifestyle.
Shedboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2023, 08:22 AM   #8
Site Team

Shedboy, you have a Itasca Navion 24M built on a diesel Mercedes chassis. The OP is asking about a gas Class C based on a Ford E350 chassis. Two very different animals and the Ford has no need to carry any extra diesel along.

Tags
class c, chassis