Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-02-2022, 06:03 PM   #1
Winnebago Camper

Tire replacement on Duals 2021 Miinnie Winnie 22M

Tire help anyone? Just returned from exciting trip in VT and NH. We got a flat tire on right rear inside dually. Tire was replaced with similar size however a different brand tire was used. Is this a problem I should rectify before our next trip. Our MH is a 2021 Minnie Winnie which has about 6000 k on it. Thanks for any input, Barry
Bugzapr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2022, 07:49 PM   #2
Site Team

Hi Barry,
I believe if the outside duallie was not driven very far, it should be OK. If you drove for many miles on just the one tire, then I would be concerned that the one tire remaining was overloaded and heat-damaged. How long did you drive on the one? How hot was the good tire when you pulled-over to swap-out the flat duallie?
Of course, by similar size, I trust you mean the exact same size; right? Do both tires appear to be the same height when you view horizontally across the top edges of the tires.
Thanks, Eagle5
Old 06-03-2022, 06:22 AM   #3
Winnebago Camper

Tire

Eagle 5, We were very fortunate . We picked up nail as we pulled into a harvest host. We put no miles on the flat as we parked immediately and watched air pressure decline. The tire is correct size however being a different manufacturer it may not have the same characteristics, wear different then the other 3 tires on axle. Barry
Old 06-03-2022, 10:48 AM   #4
Site Team

Hi Barry,
If you had two different brands of tires on the front axle, there is a possibility of a very minor effect on steering. On a rear axle with duallies, it is not an issue at all. You are good to go.
Thanks, Eagle5
Old 06-03-2022, 11:18 AM   #5
Winnebago Camper

Tire

Eagle 5 , I spoke with a tire center and he believes the tire that was installed was not appropriate. This tire cost alot less than the Hankook tires present on my Minnie. He will order tire for me and install the proper tire. Thanks for you help. Barry
Old 06-09-2022, 07:11 AM   #6
Winnebago Owner

Of most pressing concern is tire height on a dual. Even the same manufacturer will have tires of the same size, that have a different height. Naturally, this translates to the taller tire receiving more of the load. As mentioned, different brands on the front can result in affecting handling.
Rick 99037 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2022, 09:28 AM   #7
Winnebago Camper

Thanks Rick, I had tire removed and replaced with original brand tire. The tire company assured me that the previous tire was okay and able to handle the load, but he could not assure me that they were same exact height, tread pattern was also different. Being the inside rear dually I paid extra for the correct tire.
Old 06-09-2022, 10:14 AM   #8
Winnebago Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eagle5 View Post
Hi Barry,
If you had two different brands of tires on the front axle, there is a possibility of a very minor effect on steering. On a rear axle with duallies, it is not an issue at all. You are good to go.
Thanks, Eagle5

I think this may be backwards. Duals need to be almost identical in OD 1/4" OD or 3/4" OC. Here is a Youtube.
https://youtu.be/DgIAKzWM8a8
Old 06-26-2022, 07:54 PM   #9
Winnebago Master

Dual tires must be within 1/4" of diameter to wear and run properly.
The make and tread design are not as important.

reference: https://www.doublecointires.com/wp-c...-InfoSheet.pdf
2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA 1SG, retired;PPA,Good Sam Life member,FMCA. "We the people are the rightful masters of both the Congress and the Courts - not to overthrow the Constitution but to overthrow men who pervert the Constitution." Abraham Lincoln
Ray,IN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2022, 08:04 PM   #10
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tireman9 View Post
I think this may be backwards. Duals need to be almost identical in OD 1/4" OD or 3/4" OC. Here is a Youtube.
https://youtu.be/DgIAKzWM8a8
Hi Tireman9,
Yes, I totally agree. Here is my first comment to Barry:

Of course, by similar size, I trust you mean the exact same size; right? Do both tires appear to be the same height when you view horizontally across the top edges of the tires.

Great video that you did about dual tire size; very nice.
Thanks, Eagle5.
Old 06-26-2022, 08:57 PM   #11
Winnebago Master

I forgot to include this link to what happens to mismatched dual tires:
2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA 1SG, retired;PPA,Good Sam Life member,FMCA. "We the people are the rightful masters of both the Congress and the Courts - not to overthrow the Constitution but to overthrow men who pervert the Constitution." Abraham Lincoln
Ray,IN is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
replacement, replace, ace