Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Winnebago Owners Online Community > WINNEBAGO FLEET | MOTORHOMES and TRAILERS > Winnebago Class A Motorhomes
Click Here to Login
Register FilesRegistry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 11-12-2020, 03:52 PM   #1
Winnebago Master

Wrinkles on new slide out toppers

I had my slide toppers replaced due to some sun damage and when they finished they were noticeably wrinkled. The tech told me that is normal and after time the wrinkles will go away. Is that true or did I get a poor job? They got them both done in like 45 minutes.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	wrinkle1.jpg
Views:	103
Size:	370.2 KB
ID:	175790   Click image for larger version

Name:	wrinkle2.jpg
Views:	109
Size:	288.6 KB
ID:	175791  

Old 11-12-2020, 06:35 PM   #2
Winnebago Master

That's not true. They should be wrinkle free from the get go.

Visit my RV Travel & Repair Blog at : https://chaos.goblinbox.com
Jim_HiTek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2020, 09:24 PM   #3

My guess is that they did not cut the topper perfectly square. That's why you can see layers rolled up on the ends.

I'm guessing they can easily remedy this, but they need to remove the material and redo the spline.

Alternatively, they may argue that it will stretch in to proper shape over time, but I would not necessarily buy that. Although it might be true? I don't know.

Maybe there is a spring adjustment that can be made; or one side is rolling up tighter than the other. Again, I don't remember what the crew at Tough Top Awning did to get my awnings to roll-up properly?

Please let us know what you find out? Who installed them for you?
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Wrinkled Topper.jpg
Views:	76
Size:	167.3 KB
ID:	175880  
imnprsd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2020, 05:56 AM   #4
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by imnprsd View Post
My guess is that they did not cut the topper perfectly square. That's why you can see layers rolled up on the ends.

I'm guessing they can easily remedy this, but they need to remove the material and redo the spline.

Alternatively, they may argue that it will stretch in to proper shape over time, but I would not necessarily buy that. Although it might be true? I don't know.

Maybe there is a spring adjustment that can be made; or one side is rolling up tighter than the other. Again, I don't remember what the crew at Tough Top Awning did to get my awnings to roll-up properly?

Please let us know what you find out? Who installed them for you?
They were in a big hurry when they did it, there was literally a guy waiting to haul his trailer out and a wrecker idling in the street with another one waiting to come in, nobody could move till they got mine done.
I parked in the sun two days with the slides out and the wrinkles did lessen a bit but they are still there. I have some parts on order from them and will bring this up when I go to pick them up.
Old 11-22-2020, 10:03 AM   #5
Winnie-Wise

I did my own several years ago (fabric by ToughTops). Other than working very slow, by myself, doing three slides, I had no problem with wrinkles.

Only way to really eliminate them would be to unroll them, and re-roll. Not sure why you have them. But I learned the fabric has a lot to do with it. My old OEM toppers were terrible with wind flapping, and eventual tearing at the threads sewed in. ToughTop fabric, has been great!
Old 11-25-2020, 04:22 PM   #6
Winnebago Owner

Send a message via MSN to e4services
Quote:
Originally Posted by Journey39n View Post
I did my own several years ago (fabric by ToughTops). Other than working very slow, by myself, doing three slides, I had no problem with wrinkles. ... ToughTop fabric, has been great!
I agree, you just have thin material. ToughTop stuff is so thick it cant wrinkle like that
e4services is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2020, 04:38 PM   #7
Winnebago Owner

I had awnings done by Stone Vosshttp://http://stonevoss.com/index.php/programs/. They use a special German mill to make their fabric. It was head and shoulders above what one normally gets. I had a local RV place do the first replacement. After 8 years the Stone Voss was still good. No relationship, but good work and product. No wrinkles should be present. I did the installation.
thataway4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2020, 04:40 PM   #8
2015 Itasca Spirit 27QP

Looks like a poor quality job to me. And I wouldn't believe their explanation either. Shameful.
JoeC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2020, 04:42 PM   #9
Winnebago Owner

Whether material is Thick Top or Sunbrella (or something else) doesn't change the mechanics of WHY there are wrinkles; it is from something being rolled in an un-square manner. IOW, the top where it connects to the cabin is not square to the top where it connects to the slide rail. It can be fixed, by you, with ease.

A larger ladder like an 8' or 10' is best. Put the slide out about half-way, so you can see the direction of the wrinkles. They are pointing to where the topper is TOO FAR that way, so un-do the screws that hold the topper to the rail on the coach and slide them an inch away from where they are pointing. It shouldn't take much...

Actuate the slide and time or two, check for wrinkles, and do more if needed.

IF.....IF...there is no change, then the material that was used isn't square. That isn't cool, and you'll need to have somebody re-do the thing....UNLESS you own a sewing machine and like to DIY. I really is easy if you have the time and the interest in making your product perfect.
Old 11-25-2020, 06:19 PM   #10
Winnebago Owner

I did mine two years ago, no wrinkles. You might try unwinding them and see if you can get them to roll up flat.
ftodaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2020, 06:41 PM   #11
Winnebago Master

I've opened them up a few times and let them sit in the warm sun and the wrinkles have diminished somewhat
Old 11-25-2020, 07:44 PM   #12
Winnebago Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigb View Post
I've opened them up a few times and let them sit in the warm sun and the wrinkles have diminished somewhat
you read posts 8 and 9, and think that you'll keep pushing buttons until it fixes itself? Good luck with that and hope it works out for you. The good news is that you can have a wrinkled cover and the only people it affects are those looking at it.
Old 11-25-2020, 07:53 PM   #13
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by bamaboy473 View Post
you read posts 8 and 9, and think that you'll keep pushing buttons until it fixes itself? Good luck with that and hope it works out for you. The good news is that you can have a wrinkled cover and the only people it affects are those looking at it.
If you read post #1 the installer told me they would go away with use. How can I bring it back to have it fixed without first using them to prove he is wrong?
And if you read post #4 you will see that I am re-iterating in post #11 what I said in post #4
And aren't you the one who told me to actuate the slides??
Old 11-27-2020, 05:15 PM   #14
Winnebago Owner

They are not installed in a square way. Show the service manager other RVs on their lot as they are most likely OK.
I had the same problem with my main awning on my new RV, At first they told me that it was normal. I took the service manager for walk around their lot and showed him what IS normal. Is scheduled to get fixed next week.

Retired "Quiet Professional". Lifetime HSUS and ASPCA member and supporter.
71_340 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2020, 05:45 PM   #15
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by 71_340 View Post
They are not installed in a square way. Show the service manager other RVs on their lot as they are most likely OK.
I had the same problem with my main awning on my new RV, At first they told me that it was normal. I took the service manager for walk around their lot and showed him what IS normal. Is scheduled to get fixed next week.
I'm taking it back next week, hopefully they'll not want me to leave it overnight or longer
Old 11-28-2020, 06:56 AM   #16
Winnebago Owner

Without getting into which post said what, you can avoid a trip to the service area if you have access to an 8' or larger step ladder. Look at how the topper fits into a groove on the edge of the roof, and there is probably a small screw that holds the topper from sliding in the groove.
Remove both screws (left and right). Extend the slide half-way. Grab the slide-side roller and loosen tension on the topper, while pulling the groove-side topper AWAY from where the wrinkles are pointing. An inch or two should be all that it takes.
Actuate the slide to confirm that the topper is square to the rig, and re-install the screws. Should take you longer to find a ladder than it takes for the correction.
Old 11-28-2020, 05:40 PM   #17
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by bamaboy473 View Post
Without getting into which post said what, you can avoid a trip to the service area if you have access to an 8' or larger step ladder. Look at how the topper fits into a groove on the edge of the roof, and there is probably a small screw that holds the topper from sliding in the groove.
Remove both screws (left and right). Extend the slide half-way. Grab the slide-side roller and loosen tension on the topper, while pulling the groove-side topper AWAY from where the wrinkles are pointing. An inch or two should be all that it takes.
Actuate the slide to confirm that the topper is square to the rig, and re-install the screws. Should take you longer to find a ladder than it takes for the correction.
OK I did what you said and they are better, but the larger one seems to be bunched up in the retaining track as the wrinkles point outward on both ends (opposite each other). When I pull, the entire topper slides in the retainer but the bunched up part does not smooth out. I even tried putting one screw back in and pulling away from it, those bunched up wrinkles do not want to smooth out. Maybe wait for a sunny day to soften the fabric a bit? Or is in the way they prepared the end to slide into the retainer?

They do look better when rolled up, there are some creases but could be left over from being rolled up wrinkled, I don't know. It's almost always warm and sunny here but today wasn't so warm and by the time I got around to this there was no sun in the parking area and the fabric was pretty stiff.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	slidetop.jpg
Views:	60
Size:	445.9 KB
ID:	176017  

Tags
slide out, slide