Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Winnebago Owners Online Community > WINNEBAGO FLEET | MOTORHOMES and TRAILERS > Winnebago Class A Motorhomes
Click Here to Login
Register FilesRegistry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 11-12-2020, 09:24 PM   #1
Winnebago Master

2015 Tour 42QD leveling?

Can anyou enlighten me on the leveling system, lippert, dump air bag feature.

When selecting autolevel, and I belive manual level the bags dump automatically.
Wayne M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2020, 06:34 AM   #2
Winnie-Wise

On auto level my bags dump automatically. I only use the manual level as a fine-tune (if needed) at the end of the auto cycle so can't positively state that the bags dump 'automatically' when only using manual level.

How does 'bump' affect your question?
Old 11-15-2020, 08:02 AM   #3
Winnebago Master

Bump was just trying to get attention. I think it worked, :-)

Thanks Steve but I'm still confused. Yes, the bags automatically deflate in Auto mode. I don't know for sure in manual mode because it has been a long time since I used manual mode. It could be because they don't automatically deflate in manual. If they do, then I am still confused about the ability to deflate/inflate manually and the reason for the feature.
Old 11-18-2020, 09:13 AM   #4
Winnebago Master

Ah so grass hopper! According to Winnebago the manual air dump is for those who need to clear a few more inches to get into their storage facility. Well that is what I was told. I guess it could be used to go under a low clearance if one knows what the clearance is on their motorhome.

Mine, on the 2015 Winnebago Tour 42qd is:

Heights
Top of the AC is 12’ 8”
Top of the TV antenna is 12’ 9”
Top of dome is 12’ 11”

I don't have a dome but a Traveler, however I'm still going to go with the 12' 11" as a good clearance measure.
Old 11-18-2020, 10:19 AM   #5
Winnebago Master

Don't cut the posted clearance too close as there are places where they have laid a new layer of asphalt on top of the old and not always got around to changing the height posted!
Morich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2020, 09:16 AM   #6
2014 Tour 42GD

On my 2014 GD the manual level mode dumps the air before I can manually level. I use manual mode air dump often because I believe I can let more air out thus lowering the Coach before I either auto level or manual level. After manually letting the air out and entering Auto level the system still goes through air dump before leveling. I do this in locations that may require extending the jacks to full or near full height. Hoping to avoid a failure to level warning.
trower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2020, 01:59 PM   #7
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Morich View Post
Don't cut the posted clearance too close as there are places where they have laid a new layer of asphalt on top of the old and not always got around to changing the height posted!
I've been telling that for years and it can be up to two inches of road-bed raise.

Quote:
Originally Posted by trower View Post
On my 2014 GD the manual level mode dumps the air before I can manually level. I use manual mode air dump often because I believe I can let more air out thus lowering the Coach before I either auto level or manual level. After manually letting the air out and entering Auto level the system still goes through air dump before leveling. I do this in locations that may require extending the jacks to full or near full height. Hoping to avoid a failure to level warning.
Yes, but I find it interesting that manually dumping the air bags will allow one to move the MH and the bags do not automatically re-inflate. Great computer control. Be interesting to know if once the engine is shut of and then restarted if the results of a manual dump would be reset and the air bags inflate.

In my driveway one time upon starting the engine the bags did not automatically inflate and I used the manual mode.

If you have ever driven a MH while it was sitting on the rails let me tell you from experience it is bone jarring. My very first Winnebago leveling system acted up and we pulled out of the driveway not knowing the air bags did not inflate. I pulled over, called Winnebago and the fix was to extend all the way and then retract. It worked. I never had another incident like that - and I don't want one. :-)
Old 11-22-2020, 07:21 AM   #8
2014 Tour 42GD

I have restarted my coach on several occasions after a manual air dump and manual leveling to move the slides in do to wind and never had the bags fill. Maybe I didn't run the engine long enough or perhaps the reset comes after a retract of the jacks. Not sure.
Old 11-22-2020, 07:33 AM   #9
2014 Tour 42GD

I was outside Elko, NV when I noticed how rough my 2000 Mountainaire DP was riding. I looked down and saw my air gauges at 60 psi. I stopped and looked things over and since the air was holding at 60 I limped into Elko. You are right about the ride. It was bone jarring even at 30 mph. The Cummins dealer in Elko had RV hookups so we stayed the night and next morning they found the main air line from the compressor had a rubbed hole in it. No problem they had me going in no time ��
Old 11-23-2020, 09:03 AM   #10
Winnebago Master

Quote:
I have restarted my coach on several occasions after a manual air dump and manual leveling to move the slides in do to wind and never had the bags fill. Maybe I didn't run the engine long enough or perhaps the reset comes after a retract of the jacks. Not sure.
That sounds like a very reasonable explanation. If the jacks retract the air bags will fill.

Come to think of it, last time in the driveway I manually dumped the bags to lower the step after parking it. Don't put the jacks down. Got ready to go, rolled off my ramps (big slope) and could not get the ramps out. Went in and manually filled the air bags.

Conclusion is that the airbags will not refill if manual dump is used.

Thanks.

Quote:
I was outside Elko, NV when I noticed how rough my 2000 Mountainaire DP was riding. I looked down and saw my air gauges at 60 psi. I stopped and looked things over and since the air was holding at 60 I limped into Elko. You are right about the ride. It was bone jarring even at 30 mph. The Cummins dealer in Elko had RV hookups so we stayed the night and next morning they found the main air line from the compressor had a rubbed hole in it. No problem they had me going in no time ��
At least you had 60psi. I was riding the rail so most likely 10 fold of what you had for teeth shattering ride.
Old 11-25-2020, 04:49 PM   #11
Dives2Little

On AutoLevel, our '16 Ellipse 42QD dumps the air bags (check for obstacles!) before it starts to auto-level. Once it gets done doing the "hokey-pokey", we fine tune the level, if needed, using an electronic level and the manual level.

I can dump the air bags, manually, but it really reduces your ground clearance and is hard on the airbags, if you are goimg more than a few feet. Also, remember to dump your tag axle as it will keep you up a bit...
Dives2little is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2020, 10:00 PM   #12
Winnebago Master

My tag automatically dumps under a certain speed.

I basically do the same in leveling as you do. My tell-tale-level is DW and dryer door. She can't stand it if the dryer door will not stay open when she want to use it. Works for me. If the dryer door is steady at level, everything else seems to be level.
Old 11-26-2020, 08:06 AM   #13
2014 Tour 42GD

Hope your dryer was leveled when it was installed!! Even so DW must be level headed!
Old 11-26-2020, 10:22 AM   #14
Winnebago Master

How well I know that a level anywhere in the MH will show different results. One has to remember,

My go to spot for leveling is on the tile floor right next to the center console. I use an 8 inch level that happens to be a laser level. I don't use the laser though for leveling. It is pretty much in tweak with the dryer door. I might have to give a side a little "bump" but not enough to notice anything anywhere else except the dryer door.

Rembember, Happy Wife, Happy Life.
Old 11-28-2020, 09:11 AM   #15
Winnebago Owner

FYI:
RV heights: measure those at “Ride Height”
ie: suspension bags are full of air,
otherwise you will be short, or is it tall?
pobstlmo is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
leveling