Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Winnebago Owners Online Community > WINNEBAGO FLEET | MOTORHOMES and TRAILERS > Winnebago Class A Motorhomes
Click Here to Login
Register FilesRegistry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 01-30-2021, 03:01 PM   #1
Winnebago Master

Wet Bay shower/hose/sprayer upgrade?

I was checking out my wimpy wet bay shower head and 5 foot hose, went to put on the Camco flexible hose and found the faucet leaking internally. So in looking to replace I see a quick disconnect 15 foot coil hose and faucet on Amazon, only drawback is it looks to big to actually store in the wet bay of my small MH. My initial thought was just a better hand held, something like a garden hose sprayer as opposed to a shower head. What are some upgrades folks have done to the wet bay shower. I don't intend on ever using it for an actual shower, more like an outdoor faucet/wash up area.

What about a pocket hose and a pipe thread to GHT adapter? With a strap/clamp to keep the hose from jerking on the plastic faucet fitting
Old 01-30-2021, 05:25 PM   #2
Winnebago Master

I would look at which part of the operation is bugging you first.
Is it the length, stiffness or other part of the hose? Then I might look at simple like replace the tube with something like plastic tube of choice using barb fitting.

If it is the end and you don't like the shower head operation, then perhaps a change to your choice of end by cutting the current tube, use barb fittings to add the new end and make the tube longer if that is wanted?

Maybe add a quik connect fitting to the faucet bib and store the item of choice nearby for the odd times when you DO want to use it?

Since hose fittings are kind of the weird things in plumbing I tend to avoid them when more standard size or barb are so handy.

So what is it that YOU are wanting? I've got all kinds of ideas but those don't count on your RV!!
Morich is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2021, 05:31 PM   #3
Winnebago Master

I guess what I am wanting is a garden hose with a sprayer like I have at home. One thing I didn't consider is that whatever I choose should be rated for hot water although it may not get used much with hot water and the pressure will be low. I found a nice 10 foot shower hose but the only way I'll get a trigger sprayer on it is to adapt from the shower hose to the hose threads on the sprayer. I believe the threads on the shower hoses are standard 1/2" pipe thread? If so there are fittings to go from that to GHT.

One issue is that the wet bay is on the opposite side and end of the rig than the entrance door so say we are at the beach and want to rinse sand off our feet before going inside I would want a hose that could reach. I just went and looked at my wet bay and discovered a huge wasted space in a cavity above (open to the wet bay) that I could put a hook or shelf in and keep a hose up there.
Old 01-30-2021, 06:59 PM   #4
Winnebago Master

Okay! better idea and agree with the "washdown" shower never in the right spot!
But I like the ease and flexible nature of simple plastic tubing.
But that does mean that you would be likely to turn the pressure off at the faucet, not leave a plastic tube under pressure for long while not watching???
So either replace from the faucet all the way, using 1/2 npt thread fitting and garden hose at the other end?
Or if there is enough room, use a thing? cheap garden hose and cut out enough to make it the length wanted when adding the 1/2 npt fitting at the faucet. That might be preferred if you want to leave the new hose hanging near the door and not have to run back to the faucet to kill the pressure??? A 1/2 inch to barb size to match the hose size and add a metal seal to make it secure?
Too bad it's not safe to hang out in the hardware section of the big box while we do this sort of thinking! With the folks hanging out around here, I just want to get in and get out as fast as possible.
Morich is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2021, 07:08 PM   #5
Winnie-Wise

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigb View Post
I guess what I am wanting is a garden hose with a sprayer like I have at home.
On my trailer, the city water connection is right next to the out outside shower. I purchased a CAMCO faucet adapter that connects right to the city water connection. This gives me a hose bib on the trailer to connect a garden hose, fill buckets, etc.

Camco 90 Degree Water Faucet - Provides Extra Outside Water Source by Connecting to Your RV's Fresh Water Inlet

That won't help if you want hot water or don't have city water available.
Old 01-30-2021, 07:14 PM   #6
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Navy View Post
On my trailer, the city water connection is right next to the out outside shower. I purchased a CAMCO faucet adapter that connects right to the city water connection. This gives me a hose bib on the trailer to connect a garden hose, fill buckets, etc.

Camco 90 Degree Water Faucet - Provides Extra Outside Water Source by Connecting to Your RV's Fresh Water Inlet

That won't help if you want hot water or don't have city water available.
That's a good idea too but I just thought I'd carry a wye and put it on the site supply faucet. The wet bay hose would mainly be for when we are not hooked up
Old 02-03-2021, 04:27 PM   #7
Winnebago Camper

You will find the adapter you are looking for at HD I used one to attach a spray device to clean my black tank from the shower hose!
TerryMA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2021, 10:37 PM   #8
Winnebago Master

The internal tubing that feeds that shower valve, etc will not provide the volume required to run a standard hose nozzle very well so going with a Y connector with a separate shutoff valve for each outlet on the water hose connection and adding a short garden hose with a nozzle connected to it will be your best bet for filling buckets etc while connected to campground/city water. Putting a higher flow head on the valve will usually result in just a dribble of water without any spray as whats there is to conserve water and be usable even when dry camping using the water pump.

Often what leaks when replacing the external shower hose is the vacuum break that allows the hose to drain after you shut the water off and prevent back flow. Depending on the faucet you may be able to replace or simply bypass the vacuum break. The main reason for the vacuum break being there is to prevent any reverse flow from getting into your fresh water system while cleaning a sewer hose or other contaminated item so its in your best interest to replace it.

Tags
shower, upgrade