Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-17-2019, 06:22 AM   #1
Winnebago Camper

View Wet Storage Compartment....too wet

The passenger side rear compartment on my View is a wet compartment where I stow my water hose. Water pools in this compartment and it never dries out. I have looked and looked for some sort of drain for this compartment. I have tried leaving it open when parked to see if it will dry out. Should I make my own drain hole somehow? Any ideas or suggestions?
gthatch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2019, 06:40 AM   #2
Winnebago Master

Send a message via Yahoo to rk911
from where is the water coming?

2016 Itasca Suncruiser 38Q
rk911 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2019, 07:06 AM   #3
Winnebago Camper

Sorry I was not very clear. As an example, I put away my water hose after use. Some water dribbles out. There is no where for water to go or any way for the dampness in this compartment to dry out. Another time, due to constant rain, I had to stow a clear plastic tarp in there. Again, no way for any water to drain or the contents to dry out.
So, it's pretty much always wet in there. I guess i could get a bunch of old towels or something and dry it out, but it seems to me there should be some sort of low point drain in this compartment.
Old 02-17-2019, 07:10 AM   #4
Winnie-Wise

We have only had our View only a couple of months and are making our way around and from top to bottom and will probably be drilling two holes in the low point of the plastic tub.
We have done the same with previous motorhomes with no issues long term.
WinnieView is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2019, 09:15 AM   #5
Winnebago Master

Send a message via Yahoo to rk911
Quote:
Originally Posted by gthatch View Post
Sorry I was not very clear. As an example, I put away my water hose after use. Some water dribbles out. There is no where for water to go or any way for the dampness in this compartment to dry out. Another time, due to constant rain, I had to stow a clear plastic tarp in there. Again, no way for any water to drain or the contents to dry out.
So, it's pretty much always wet in there. I guess i could get a bunch of old towels or something and dry it out, but it seems to me there should be some sort of low point drain in this compartment.
ahh, ok, I understand. regarding the hose get thee to a Home Depot, Ace, Lowes, etc. and pick up a couple of hose caps. they come in metal or plastic and should run no more than a buck or two. these will screw on to the end of the hose when stored. that problem solved. a

as for the other I wouldn't be drilling holes unless the floor of the bay is sloped to the center. if it's flat you'd have to drill a bunch of holes to get the water to drain. and remember holes are two-way and might be inviting to bugs. your best bet is to carry a bunch of old towels and just wipe up an excess moisture. the floor of that compartment is likely a very hard plastic which water won't affect. all I did on our first MH back in the 80's was to make sure that compartment was dry before I put it away for the winter.

2016 Itasca Suncruiser 38Q
rk911 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2019, 08:05 PM   #6
Winnebago Camper

Or, you could do what we did with our 2016 View 24J...buy a low sided plastic rectangular storage container and just put anything that has any potential tail for water leakage in that. It can occasionally be removed to dry out contents in the sun. We have a separate one to store the dump hoses in as well.
Pathfinder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2019, 09:04 PM   #7
Winnebago Camper

I usually blow my hose out before storing in the compartment, then when I roll it up , the rest comes out, alot less water to leak out that way
Old 02-18-2019, 02:46 AM   #8
Winnebago Master

Assuming its a moulded plastic compartment? Just drill a couple of 1/4”holes and let things drain out. Its also nice to rinse out the bay and it dries on its own

Jeff - WA6EQU
'06 Itasca Meridian 34H, CAT C7/350
SCVJeff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2019, 08:14 AM   #9
Winnie-Wise

The problem with drilling drain holes in the compartment is that the first time you drive in a rainstorm, you are likely to fill the compartment with water.

Drain your hoses and water filters before you store. It doesn't hurt to unload the compartment and leave the door open to dry it out. An old towel does a good job of wiping moisture out as well.
luvlabs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2019, 11:42 AM   #10
Winnebago Camper

If you drill two 1/4" holes in the wet compartment on the right hand side (lowest side as you're looking in); one in the front and the second at the back, it will be sufficient to drain all the water out and they're small enough you will have no problem with water coming in from the road. This solution is shown many times on YouTube as a solution for the View.
Old 02-18-2019, 02:35 PM   #11
Winnebago Master

I don't have a View and store my hose in a plastic bin in one of my "dry" storage compartments. I empty as much water out of my hose as I can, roll it up and screw the two ends together before stowing. I've never had a problem
BobC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2019, 02:40 PM   #12
Winnebago Camper

Full transparency …. I do have a View but I'm with Bob C and also store my water hoses in a plastic bin in one of the dry basement storage areas. Just seems more hygienic to my way of thinking. The solution I gave was what I saw on YouTube …..
Old 02-18-2019, 03:14 PM   #13
Winnebago Owner

I put mine in a plastic tote so I can always clean out the tote if needed. I use totes for different sets of items. One hose's, pressure regulator and spray nozzle. One dump hose's and adaptor fittings. Plus big blue rubber gloves.
Mike Owens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2019, 04:30 PM   #14
Winnebago Camper

Thank you for all the input. Much appreciated. How is it I'm 65 and never knew they sold caps for the ends of a hose
Old 02-24-2019, 06:00 PM   #15
Winnebago Owner

If it's really just water from the hose, just screw the two ends of the hose together when you roll it up, that's all I do...
MainelyScott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2019, 02:12 AM   #16
Winnie-Wise

We have a few drain points in our RV. they have what is called a 'duck bill' drain cover. It is simply a rubber bib like thing that fills a drain hole, trailing down a few inches like a hose, ending into a duck bill shape. Water can dribble out, but dust, bugs, and water don't go in.

If you want a drain hole, get one of these to seal the hole and let the water out.
Old 02-25-2019, 07:47 AM   #17
Micro Minnie 1800BH

Wet storage bay

Quote:
Originally Posted by MainelyScott View Post
If it's really just water from the hose, just screw the two ends of the hose together when you roll it up, that's all I do...

Yes, as you roll up the hose the water runs out and you screw the ends together. Simple. 🤔

Everything I keep in the storage bays is in a plastic bin.

The right rear compartment on my J is for the sewer hookup bin.
PWRving is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2019, 10:06 AM   #18
Winnebago Camper

Wet compartment woes

Never mind the hose end caps...MT as much water from hose before coiling and then screw the male and female hose fittings together! easy peasy
1953m38a1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2019, 02:11 AM   #19
Winnebago Master

Back to the hole drilling.. I drilled a couple of 1/4” holes 10 years ago and there is zero water intrusion. Not sure how it would get in. Highway slosh is coming at it from underneith at 90 degrees so thats a non-issue. If you’re talking about intrusion from deep water, you have way bigger problems and better think about moving. I have a low point duck bil drain in the bay, but its not in the center of the bay and only drains whats in the little moulded cup. The two holes i drilled are and it simply drains the entire bay. Doesn’t take much to drain a little water out

Jeff - WA6EQU
'06 Itasca Meridian 34H, CAT C7/350
SCVJeff is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
storage