Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-28-2021, 09:16 AM   #1
Winnebago Master

10 Year Park Rule

Anyone have issues with some parks that won't let a rig over 10 years old in? My rig reached 10 this year but it still looks like new, I heard that sometimes they will make an exception if you text them a pic. With spots likely in short supply in the coming months/years it has me wondering about this, we plan to use mostly parks with hookups in our travels.
Old 01-28-2021, 10:17 AM   #2
Winnebago Master

I don’t tend to go to RV parks, but I have been to one with rules like that. I met all their requirements so it was a non-issue. However, once at the park I noted many rigs that didn’t technically meet the criteria (too short, too old) but we’re in good condition. Obviously they were given exceptions (fine by me). I’m guessing anyplace you would actually want to stay would be flexible on this. If you’ve got some tentative travel plans, you might just call ahead and see what they say.
Old 01-28-2021, 12:05 PM   #3
Winnebago Master

This question pops up often.

While we usually avoid the "all inclusive resort" type parks, in all our many miles through 3/4 of the states, we have only encountered age discrimination at two locations.

In Wala Wala, Wa. (neat!), no questions were asked over the phone, but on arrival, the comment was made that they didn't know we were an older diesel (????) and they gave us a thorough oil leak inspection. But for the fact that it was impossible to turn around at the gate, we would have left in a huff. Having said that, once in they were just great folks.

The last couple of times into Admiral Baker Field, San Diego, CA, they asked our (rig's) age and condition and SAID they had a 10 year rule that they were waiving on our assurances. I fully understand how elitist this sounds, but saying it anyway. Ready? Ever since they opened ABF to all and sundry, the place has turned into a cramped, dog poop littered disgrace.

Take care of your rig, wash it often, wax it ocaisionally, be happy, don't worry, lots of good people out there.

Oh, and pick up after your dog.

Fair Winds and Following Seas
Oldchinahand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2021, 12:12 PM   #4
Winnebago Camper

The most common question I encounter is "How do you want to pay?"
Dollars trump condition, for the most part.

2014 Winnebago Sightseer 33C
winston74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2021, 12:54 PM   #5
Site Team

We have a few times, but we've never kept an RV more than 8 years before buying a new one to replace it.

They simply want to keep out some of the run down RVs that are decades old and not kept up. We all know what these RVs look like and they can financially hurt the nicer RV Parks by attracting bad reviews on various rv park review sites, etc.

It's not just the older appearance, but bad mechanical condition as well.

Typically, if your rig is close enough and looks good and is mechanically sound many of them do make exceptions. And, the 10-year rule isn't a thing at the vast majority of commercial rv parks anyway.
Old 02-03-2021, 04:15 PM   #6
Winnebago Camper

Age limit

We are in a park with the 10 year rule. Our rig was 15 when we applied and they asked for a photo. We sent one and it was approved. Like previously mentioned they are just trying to keep out the run down units.
BobT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2021, 04:17 PM   #7
Winnebago Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldchinahand View Post
This question pops up often.

wash it often

Wash? You're supposed to wash these things?!
fsj1978 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2021, 04:23 PM   #8
Proud “No Intent” Owner

I think the rule is in place so that they can use it if needed. Sort of like restaurants, "We reserve the right to refuse service to anyone", kind of deal. Some crack head comes in with an old beat up Rv they can point to the rule...
Old 02-03-2021, 05:35 PM   #9
Winnebago Camper

10 year parks.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigb View Post
Anyone have issues with some parks that won't let a rig over 10 years old in? My rig reached 10 this year but it still looks like new, I heard that sometimes they will make an exception if you text them a pic. With spots likely in short supply in the coming months/years it has me wondering about this, we plan to use mostly parks with hookups in our travels.
In my appearance, I find that these are parks where the owners of the sites vote to keep older RVs out so it doesn't make there park look bad. Like you my coach turned 10 years old but still looks new. In my case, I don't want to be where I am not wanted. Besides, most of the people, that own these sites, bought them with the idea that the site would be rented to help pay for the park fees and their site payment. They are only hurting themselves. I have been to every state in the USA over the last 6 years and have not been disappointed by the parks that did not question the age of my coach. Travel and enjoy your stays at friendly parks, with friendly people. You won't be disappointed.
69skylark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2021, 05:51 PM   #10
Winnebago Master

My rig is 18yrs old. .. never had a problem with a "10 yr old" rule. I avoid "resorts" (some are high priced dumps!), KOAs, & "destination" parks.
Old 02-03-2021, 06:35 PM   #11
Winnebago Camper

I have been told by these parks that they only enforce when needed and not when you’re coach is in good condition.
Pdest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2021, 06:40 PM   #12
Winnebago Master

I was once told the reason for the rule is that people abandon worthless RVs at a park because it is cheaper than disposing of them properly.
Old 02-03-2021, 08:39 PM   #13
Winnebago Owner

My 2005 Winnebago Adventurer 38R coach is way past the "10 Year" rule at 16 years old, but it still looks like it just rolled out of the factory. The full body color paint scheme still looks current and in style, and it has always been kept inside, plus it only has 20,000 miles on it, so it still looks like new. I also keep it buffed and waxed to a high shine so you can see yourself in its finish. Look at the pic below and you can see the reflection of my house in in the paint.

Although I rarely stay in high end campgrounds, I ran into the "10 Year" rule just once with my previous 2002 Monaco La Palma coach. It was also in very good condition after I put a lot of work into painting and buffing it. When I was making a reservation by phone, they asked for the year, make and model and they informed me about their "10 Year" rule. I told them it was in very nice condition, so they asked for me to email them a few pics of it. After they saw them, they said "no problem" and made my reservation. In the future if I encounter this again, my coach will be a "2015" model and I doubt anyone will know the difference or care when I pull in. If not, I won't stay there.

My currrent coach, a 2005 Winnebago Adventurer 38R, just after I buffed it out.

My previous coach, a 2002 Monaco La Palma. This is how it looked when I sold it, which was much better than when I bought it.

deucehotrods is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2021, 10:40 PM   #14
Proud “No Intent” Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by deucehotrods View Post
My 2005 Winnebago Adventurer 38R coach is way past the "10 Year" rule at 16 years old, but it still looks like it just rolled out of the factory. The full body color paint scheme still looks current and in style, and it has always been kept inside, plus it only has 20,000 miles on it, so it still looks like new. I also keep it buffed and waxed to a high shine so you can see yourself in its finish. Look at the pic below and you can see the reflection of my house in in the paint.

Although I rarely stay in high end campgrounds, I ran into the "10 Year" rule just once with my previous 2002 Monaco La Palma coach. It was also in very good condition after I put a lot of work into painting and buffing it. When I was making a reservation by phone, they asked for the year, make and model and they informed me about their "10 Year" rule. I told them it was in very nice condition, so they asked for me to email them a few pics of it. After they saw them, they said "no problem" and made my reservation. In the future if I encounter this again, my coach will be a "2015" model and I doubt anyone will know the difference or care when I pull in. If not, I won't stay there.

My currrent coach, a 2005 Winnebago Adventurer 38R, just after I buffed it out.
Curious what you use to keep it so nice? What do you wax it with and how? Also, how do you handle the decals? Thanks! Looks great!
Old 02-04-2021, 12:37 AM   #15
Winnebago Owner

First of all, I was so fortunate to find this coach for sale within miles of my home and it was in excellent condition with just 12,000 miles and spent very little time outside. Since it has full body basecoat/clearcoat paint it is very easy to take care of compared to a gel coat finish, which takes a whole different routine and materials.

https://www.prestaproducts.com/GEL_COAT-details.aspx

I used my trusty 6" Harbor Freight orbital buffer. It has been invaluable and I figured I would wear it out after all the buffing I did on the Monaco but it still works fine.

https://www.harborfreight.com/8mm-ra...der-64528.html

I used their blue polishing foam pad that is ideal for light to moderate polishing which is ideal for pre-wax cleaners.

https://www.harborfreight.com/8-in-p...pad-61531.html

The paint was in good shape but it needed a good cleaning and polishing so I used Meguiar's 16 Ounce G191016 3-in-1 Wax.

https://www.meguiars.com/automotive/...-g191016-16-oz

It worked very well and that is when that pic of it was taken. This year I used Meguiar's M2116 Mirror Glaze Synthetic Sealant 2.0 to see if it would give greater protection and longevity. I'll see how well it stands up this summer.

https://www.meguiars.com/professiona...6-16-oz-liquid

I used their grey polishing pad for waxes and sealants this time.

https://www.harborfreight.com/power-...pad-60310.html

Everything is full body paint except on the rear side of the coach where the decals are just the "Adventurer" and large "W", so I wax around them. The "Adventurer" decals are a chrome finish and are indestructible but the "W" decals were discolored when I bought it. I haven't been able to restore the "W", so replacement is the only option. Decals of any type are trouble sooner or later.
deucehotrods is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2021, 08:07 AM   #16
Winnebago Owner

We have a 2003 Winnebago Adventurer but only encountered this rule a couple times. We've been able to provide them with pictures of the rig and have not been turned away.
JimStreit is offline   Reply With Quote