Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Winnebago Owners Online Community > WINNEBAGO FLEET | MOTORHOMES and TRAILERS > Winnebago Class A Motorhomes
Click Here to Login
Register FilesRegistry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 11-21-2022, 04:19 PM   #41
Winnie-Wise

Quote:
Originally Posted by creativepart View Post
Joe, have you posted about this on IRV2 in the Ford F53 Chassis forum. If you you might seek advice there. You might find some alternatives. Just a thought.

Yes- thank you for the follow up. There is a good thread that's been going on there for a while and I have been posting and monitoring it. Lots of good info and some back and forth with ideas. It appears I'm not the only guy who caught a bullet on the " bullet proof" engine! LOL

https://www.irv2.com/forums/f23/2015...ht-598511.html
Americanrascal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2022, 04:25 PM   #42
Winnie-Wise

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigb View Post
..... I guess mainly it's the size of the motorhome, and the motor likely needs to come out the bottom?
It appears that's the case. A 40 foot rig is on the long side for many shop bays. Lifting a 26000lb chassis is pretty tough from what I hear- not impossible- but not a lot of those lifts around. Height, length , weight all play in.

I always thought Freightliner would be a viable source as they do a lot of 40-45 foot DP work, But they sure weren't interested in this rig????
Old 11-21-2022, 06:09 PM   #43
Winnebago Owner

Places to repair my RV ,was a deciding factor in me buying a Freightliner chassie . Most ford dealers don't sell /repair or do 550 and up chassies with boxes on the back . You have to find a Ford truck center or independance shop
deckape is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2022, 06:57 PM   #44
Winnie-Wise

Have you tried Rush Truck Center? There are several in Georgia including Atlanta. Lazy Days had the engine replaced in my Vista at the one in Denver. They pulled the engine and did a tear down to diagnose the issue, then replaced it with a long-block V10.

https://www.rushtruckcenters.com/loc...ocation-search
Old 11-21-2022, 07:45 PM   #45
Winnie-Wise

Thanks for the lead. Will check in the morning with the Columbus facility
Old 11-22-2022, 06:09 AM   #46
Winnie-Wise

Quote:
Originally Posted by wyocamper View Post
Have you tried Rush Truck Center? There are several in Georgia including Atlanta. Lazy Days had the engine replaced in my Vista at the one in Denver. They pulled the engine and did a tear down to diagnose the issue, then replaced it with a long-block V10.

https://www.rushtruckcenters.com/loc...ocation-search
Called this morning. Interesting response to my inquiry. The size didn't spook them but they said they only do diesels? I sure was hoping they'd say yes as they are reasonably close by. Oh well. Looks like I'm headed to Montgomery, AL.
Old 11-22-2022, 09:39 AM   #47
Winnie-Wise

That's weird, did you try calling any others in the area? Maybe it's store by store what they work on?
Old 11-22-2022, 10:31 AM   #48
Winnie-Wise

Quote:
Originally Posted by wyocamper View Post
That's weird, did you try calling any others in the area? Maybe it's store by store what they work on?
Nah but thanks- Montgomery is about the closest and has the capabilities so going to head there.
Old 11-22-2022, 01:33 PM   #49
Winnebago Master

Finding repair centers for our Chassis whether ford, or freightliner is tough. I just wanted some annual service on my Freightliner and the local shop informed me they will not work on anything as old as my 2007 Journey. Ended up at a Cummins Coach Care thirty miles away. I could never find anyone to work on my F53 Ford.
Old 11-28-2022, 05:05 PM   #50
Winnie-Wise

Its bad

I'm about too disgusted and frustrated to write much about this, but here is my update. After $4000 of towing across Alabama and Georgia over 3 weeks to a place that can at least address and deal with the rig, I got my first information on findings. As suspected all along no. 10 cylinder is damaged (heavily grooved and scoured) and valves are seriously damaged but unclear to what extent yet. Cylinder was bore scoped and significant damage to cylinder wall was observed. No compression to speak of out of No. 10. Based on these findings alone Ford service recommends engine replacement. Good Sam insurance/ service contract says the engine in fact may need replacement but refuses to authorize a replacement until the engine is disassembled to find the point of origin. They won't pay- I have to eat that cost plus my deductible- and who knows- they may not step up in the end.

At least 1 more week until they can start to get it torn down- estimate 20 hours labor? Then if they can nail it down and satisfy Good Sam's they may authorize replacement. Then a 4 1/2 month wait on a reman engine.

Stunning news.
Old 11-28-2022, 05:55 PM   #51
Winnebago Master

Very disappointed to hear this, it sounds like you have Good Sam extended warranty coverage though, let us know how that turns out. I have a similar warranty through Wholesale Warranties but I chose the plan that only covers the drive train. In reading my documents it basically says it will cover the "failure of any lubricated parts" and there is a list of parts but the list is not all inclusive, according to the wording if oil comes into contact with the part it is covered. There is a clause about maintenance so make sure to have all your records ready and let us know what Good Sam does for you. Maybe explain to the shop that the payout will hinge on the teardown results that you have to pay for and maybe they will work with you on that. I didn't realize they would want a teardown on your dime before authorizing coverage.
Old 11-29-2022, 04:29 AM   #52
Winnebago Owner

Americanrascal, I'm sorry about the bad news. I'm sure some others get great service from their V-10. My brother in-law told me his V-10 was replaced two times from failure.
I hope they will be considerate and work you in for quicker service.
Old 11-29-2022, 07:26 AM   #53
Winnie-Wise

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bo Walker View Post
Americanrascal, I'm sorry about the bad news. I'm sure some others get great service from their V-10. My brother in-law told me his V-10 was replaced two times from failure.
Hi Bo:

Thanks for your thoughts.

Actually they got the rig in the shop very quickly for their assessment. The long wait will be for a rebuilt engine which from this shops source takes 4 months now. They advise V-10's are no longer on the shelf and are rebuilt to order (????)
Joe
Old 11-29-2022, 08:02 AM   #54
Site Team

Ugh! So sorry for your troubles.

I saw this YouTube video a few years ago about a similar RV engine replacement. I don’t know if it it will help but they found a shop that sells lots of these engines.

Old 11-29-2022, 03:43 PM   #55
Winnie-Wise

Quote:
Originally Posted by creativepart View Post
Ugh! So sorry for your troubles.

I saw this YouTube video a few years ago about a similar RV engine replacement. I don’t know if it it will help but they found a shop that sells lots of these engines.

Thanks. I was aware of the video and the shop. My dilemma is as much as I want to shop around for an engine on my own, the repair center I am stuck with will only use their designated supplier of rebuilds. I've looked all over for an independent or major truck service center to do this but came up empty. The only one in this region according to Ford Motorhome Customer Support that can handle the 26000 lb chassis and motorhome is their commercial truck center in Montgomery. It was surprising that Ford steered me away from the Atlanta market indicating their facilities in that region were not big enough for this rig. I have no bones about the service in Montgomery as its as close as Atlanta, and they do offer various warranties on the new crate engine- if Good Sam's approves the install. A new engine is a no brainer to me and to the Ford truck service center given the already verified damage, but Good Sam's seems to have a different path that digs deep into my wallet.

I've had a lot of input from knowledgeable folks about this. The word is clear to me that I should not even consider a tear down and repair of this block- that it must go to a well qualified re-manufacturing facility. (i.e. just repairing cylinder 10 and a few valves won't get the job done). Its kind of hard to swallow that there are not any rebuilt crate engines available on the shelf that this service center would grab, but they insist its rare to find a rebuilt 2016 3 valve V-10's sitting on the shelf anymore since Ford quit manufacturing new ones.
Old 11-29-2022, 03:54 PM   #56
Site Team

Every time someone posts on these forums asking if they should get an extended service contract I think about cases such as yours.

1. Assuming they will pay for new engine it was a great purchase

2. Seeing first hand how they work hard to NOT pay for this repair just illustrates what we all know about this kind of product.

Wishing you all the best is the most I can say, Joe.
Old 11-29-2022, 09:32 PM   #57
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bo Walker View Post
Hi Bo,
Does your brother-in-law use 5W-20 oil in his three V-10s?
Thanks, Eagle5
Old 11-30-2022, 08:36 AM   #58
Winnebago Owner

I'm sorry Eagle5. I'm not sure what he used. He has since passed.
Old 11-30-2022, 08:41 AM   #59
Site Team

Hi Bo,
Sorry to hear of his passing.
Ford has changed the recommended viscosity for the V-10 from 5W-20 to 5W-30. I am using 0W-40, as I like the extra viscosity protection (thinner at 0ºF, and thicker at 212ºF.)
Thanks, Eagle5
Old 12-01-2022, 04:38 PM   #60
Winnie-Wise

Thats all folks!

Yippee! We are headed to Montgomery AL tomorrow to pick up our motorhome. Well I was pleasantly surprised today when the phone rang and the service tech at the Ford Truck Service center at Stivers in Montgomery came on the line and said I could come pick my rig up it was fixed!!!! No 4 month wait for a new engine, no major tear down expense, the rig had been repaired and put back together. They and other mechanics had really thought the engine was shot and a new one was needed. Seems Good Sam's (service contract) insistence on a tear down to the point of failure was the right call and saved everyone a bunch of time and $$$$ with a new engine not being necessary .Turns out after beginning the tear down they found the exhaust valve spring had broken on number 10 cyl. giving the screwy compression reading because of a non functioning exhaust valve. $7.00 part and a whole bunch of labor cost and I am one happy and lucky cowboy. I am spending the night listening to Gene Autry sing : "I'm Back in the Saddle Again!!!!".. I think I'll sing along with him.