Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Winnebago Owners Online Community > WINNEBAGO FLEET | MOTORHOMES and TRAILERS > Winnebago Class A Motorhomes
Click Here to Login
Register FilesRegistry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 05-20-2023, 06:41 PM   #1
Winnebago Camper

Wire / Fuse identification, 2017 29VE

While doing some interior mods on my 2017 Sunstar 29VE I found a fuse holder with a 5 amp fuse above the "storage area" just behind the drivers side front speaker.

When I removed the top panel of the storage space I saw a bunch of Winnebago-numbered wires and along with them is a relay that activates when turning on the dome light switch on the headlight switch dimmer thumbwheel. Next to that relay is a 5 amp fuse. It's not fusing the dome light relay or light. Why would they hide a fuse behind (well, on top of) an interior panel and, as far as I can see, provide no reference to it.

Wire ID's going to the 5 amp fuse holder are:
195046-01-000(A)FEED and 195046-01-000(A)EEC1

I searched this forum and also the Winnebago diagrams but cannot find anything. Can anybody tell me what circuit or device this hidden fuse fuses?
bobby5832708 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2023, 07:34 AM   #2
Winnebago Master

This may depend on the options you have on your specific RV but it may also be wiring in place for options you don't have!
The code doesn't seem to fit the list I have here:
https://www.winnebago.com/Files/File...ical_guide.pdf

The list only goes into three digits, not four, os there is room for doubt there.

However, if it is an option, it looks like the relay may involve the loft bed and lighting as this shows? Since you do not mention it being really hard to work that space, can we assume you do not have the 45B option and no loft bed?
That bed is often just exactly in the wrong spot to get into those upper areas!

Click image for larger version

Name:	loft.jpg
Views:	39
Size:	105.1 KB
ID:	186046
Morich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2023, 11:49 AM   #3
Winnebago Camper

"can we assume you do not have the 45B option and no loft bed? "

No, my RV has the loft bed.

The relay up above the storage area powers the light above the driver. Turning the dimmer thumbwheel on the headlight switch energizes a relay either on the inst cluster or really close behind it. That relay energizes the relay above the storage area. That second (above the storage area) relay sends the power to the single LED lamp above the drivers head. I think the first relay might be a Ford-supplied relay that comes with the chassis (just a guess) while the second relay is a Winne-provided relay due to it being connected to Winnebago-labeled yellow and white wires (again, just a guess).

Removing the 5 amp fuse and the dome light and relays still work. That's as far as I went in tracing the fuse because it was not the easiest area to work in.

Yet another guess is that the 5 amp fuse may be for the control circuit for the loft bed. I did not go back to test whether the bed still operated when I took the fuse out.

If we could find out what this hidden fuse protects it might save somebody some grief when troubleshooting an electrical issue in the future. Normally we expect circuit protection devices to be located in accessible areas, not buried behind interior panels. And if they are going to hide a fuse then document it!

Sometimes I wish that Winnebago provided real schematics (like the car manufacturers do) so we could see what devices are in the various circuits.
bobby5832708 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2023, 04:10 PM   #4
Winnebago Master

Yes, I agree that we get lots better info on the older RV before 2010 when is comes to wiring schematics.
But then I do like some of the info that gives us for the after 2010 on interactive parts drawings.
Hard to figure why decisions loike that are made??/
Part of it may be due to the changing skill/interest levels of the public. The RV world seems to be one of the few places where I find many people interested in really digging in and doing anything that involves actual labor!
Using the brain may be slowly becoming a lost art as we relie more and more on letting somebody or something else do things for us?
Also I have to admit that much of the more complex things that we used to do are now so much more complex that most of us will never have the need of the tools it takes to analize things when they fail.
Just figuring out what is wrong when we want to crank the engine is now getting too diffcult to figure.
I sold my last tow car when the experts at several dealers were unable to find and fix an intermitant cranking problem. The computer kept coming back to change the battery as the solution but they had done that until blue and it still failed 5 out ot ten times!

Possibly as a long shot, you might try calling Winnebago and asking about those circuit ID on those wires and see if it gets anything. That portion does look like Winnebago work and just becasue it doesn't show on the online Id chart, doesn't mean that theat list is fully up to date? Possibly they have now moved into the four letter letter but it is not yet posted?
Others who have called on different questions seem happy with the response!
They may have the answer to what magic is needed?
Morich is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
cat, fuse