Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-12-2005, 05:30 PM   #1
Winnebago Camper

I noticed on our 2000 Journey a multitude of small multidirectional hairline cracks in the fiberglass sides varying in length with some as long as 5-6 inches. Although I've found them on both sides of the coach they appear particularly concentrated in areas where water drains down the coach sides. I've been told that this is fiberglass breakdown and have submitted pics to Winnebago. Anyone with similar problem or otherwise aware of problem?
Thanks
Bob Egan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2005, 05:30 PM   #2
Winnebago Camper

I noticed on our 2000 Journey a multitude of small multidirectional hairline cracks in the fiberglass sides varying in length with some as long as 5-6 inches. Although I've found them on both sides of the coach they appear particularly concentrated in areas where water drains down the coach sides. I've been told that this is fiberglass breakdown and have submitted pics to Winnebago. Anyone with similar problem or otherwise aware of problem?
Thanks
Old 03-12-2005, 06:36 PM   #3

....probably called "stress fractures"....very common....geokaye
Old 03-13-2005, 12:30 PM   #4
GG1
Winnie-Wise

Has Winnebago indicated they would pay for any repairs? I have similar things but thought I had to live with the.
Old 03-13-2005, 01:51 PM   #5
Winnebago Camper

I am not sure if my problem is the same as yours. I had a 2000 Adventurer and stated to see circular popping on the coach. They would start as circular lines in spots and than would pop out looking almost like a small rock it the coach.
I followed up with Winnebago and found out that there was a problem with the assembly of the fiberglass siding on some of the Winnebago coached starting in 2000 - 2003?.
Most dealers don't know about the problem. I got lucky because I was at Lazy Days in 1/05 and found a sales manager who knew exactly what the problem was. He had the Wibbebago rep look at my coach and he authorized fixing the problem at no charge.

Not sure if this is your problem - but wanted you to know about my issue.
Bobg43 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2005, 04:10 PM   #6
Winnebago Master

I have the small pocks showing up on my fiberglass panels also. Talked to Winnebago, they claim to not know what it is. They had me take it to a nearby RV repair place. They repaired the Pocks, they have now returned again. Will take it further with Winnebago. First Pock appeared just 6 months after I took delivery new. Then 5 or 6 each side towards rear. Dealer was of NO help what-so-ever.
Izzyblueye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2005, 04:32 PM   #7
Winnebago Camper

I just posted a couple of pictures of the fiberglass changes in the photo gallery. They should give an idea of the severity of the problem. At this point Winnebago is reviewing the issue and discussing it with the fiberglass manufacturer.They have been real slooooow about coming to a conclusion but they've not blown me off at present. There is no associated problem such as pock marks or delamination. Thanks for any input.
Old 03-13-2005, 06:36 PM   #8

......I had a customers boat that had "****" down the side where the floor was screwed to the hull.....the SS assembly screws were a 1/16" too long and were working their way through the fiberglass....there were 72 on each side of the boat.....Bayliner replaced the whole boat-"manufacturing error"......[a $72,000 error].....geof kaye
Old 03-14-2005, 01:00 AM   #9
Winnebago Camper

Winnebago better start stepping up to the plate! They'll be wondering where all their sales went, after people read these forum posts, if they don't correct these errors.
Old 03-14-2005, 04:12 AM   #10
Winnebago Camper

The sales maanger at Lazy Days who helped me said that you have to stay after Winnebago but that they will come through. His name is Bob White, 800-626-7800. I traded my 2000 Adventurer for a 2005 Itasca with them in Jan.

I also posted this issue on RV Net last year and someone responded that they had the same problem and had the dealer fix it at no charge.

If you are a FMCA member and save their magazines there was a write up from a reader on the same problem that was also fixed at no charge. It was in an issue from last year - I think the first half.
Bobg43 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2005, 08:51 PM   #11

.....quick way to clean out the bubbles is with an 1/8" hole and your vacuum cleaner...sucks out the water and air and then can be refilled with resin or superglue.....will ruin the vacuum so use a neighbors or your x-wifes......geof kaye
Old 03-15-2005, 09:09 AM   #12
GG1
Winnie-Wise

In ref to the photos of scratches. Mine are exactly the same. Has a factory rep authorized the repair and if so can I have his name. I am getting these in various parts of the white paint. From a distance you cannot see them.
Old 03-15-2005, 06:42 PM   #13
Winnebago Camper

GG1
When did you start noticing the problem? Do they appear anywhere other that in the white painted area. Have they affected the decals..on the red slash decal I've noticed small splits where the underlying white now shows through.
Bob
Old 03-16-2005, 04:39 PM   #14
GG1
Winnie-Wise

I noticed them about one month ago. There are no flaws in the decals, so far. The scrathes are in the white only near the rear cap on the sidwall between the bedroom slide and the cap, also on the white panel under the drivers side window area. Its not that I do not take care of the finish I constanly wash and polish the exterior.
Old 03-17-2005, 02:59 PM   #15
Winnebago Camper

GG1
These "scratches" are an internal problem with the fiberglass itself and are not a consequence of "not taking care of the finish". We'll be contacting Winnebago in a week or so if they don't call us with the outcome of their discussions with the fiberglass manufacturer. Will post our reaction to their response.
Old 03-30-2008, 10:34 AM   #16
Winnebago Watcher

PLEASE LET ME KNOW HOW YOU FAIR WITH WINNEBAGO. I'M HAVING SAME POP MARKS ON MY 2003 WINNEBAGO BRAVE 36M. CALLED WINNI THEY PLAYED DUMB. SO IF YOU COULD POST OR E-MAIL ME THAT WOULD BE GREAT. THANKS RJD
RJD NJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2008, 02:46 PM   #17
Winnebago Watcher

Some Alfas are having a problem "blisters"they are calling them.They say that the area has to be removed and replaced.They are working with the fiberglass manufacture to get these coaches repaired [I hope]
Flints AR Mike and Lorrie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2008, 03:01 PM   #18
Winnebago Master

This thread started over 3 years ago and the original poster has not made a post since. Chances of an update are nill.

Jim

Our Webpage
jimandsue60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2011, 08:36 AM   #19
Winnebago Watcher

Hello: I'm so grateful you all posted the fiberglass fractures issue. We have an 04 Minnie. We have noticed that same type fractures on the back near the ladder. Does anyone have a direct contact at Winnebago? I hate to contact Bob White at Lazy Daze just yet since I am in south Texas.
mjheringer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2011, 08:48 PM   #20
Winnebago Camper

Fiberglass Cracks

I have hairline cracks at the corners of most windows both sides as well as the topcap above the winshield. Not really noticeable unless you really look but I see them on quite a few units. Given mine is 2004 I'm not optomistic about Winnebago repairing.
colemole is offline   Reply With Quote