Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Winnebago Owners Online Community > WINNEBAGO FLEET | MOTORHOMES and TRAILERS > Winnebago Class A Motorhomes
Click Here to Login
Register FilesRegistry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 08-09-2023, 01:27 PM   #1
Winnebago Camper

Tour 42QD How to keep the door open

Anyone had any luck finding a way to keep the door open on windy days? I hate that every other camper I see has a way to hold the door open and ours just slams shut if the wind hits it, thanks!
Cheryl_H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2023, 02:15 PM   #2
Winnebago Master

Ya see that giant mirror on the passengers side? Loop a flat bungee with plastic hooks around the horizontal portion of the arm of that, pull the door open all the way, and loop the other end around the inside door handle. So now the door is basically on a spring. And the wind can move it a tad in/out, but not with much force and can't slam it.

Of course I leave the screen door closed.

I've been doing that for nearly 15 years now with no damage to the paint of the mirror or the lock mechanism. If the wind becomes fierce, then the loud clicks that the device that holds the door makes warns me and then I'll go and close it all the way until the gusting wind dies down.

Visit my RV Travel & Repair Blog at : https://chaos.goblinbox.com
Jim_HiTek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2023, 02:19 PM   #3
Site Team

Does the Tour have that gas strut at the bottom of the door? If so, it's easy to remove and replace it with either a new strut of the same "weight" or get one a little bit stronger.

Mine started closing in a breeze and I replaced mine and this fixed the problem - but only for another 2-years. I may get a little bit stronger version this next time. Not too much stronger. I still want to be able to pull the door closed.
Old 08-10-2023, 05:13 AM   #4
Winnebago Camper

Thank you!
Old 08-10-2023, 05:14 AM   #5
Winnebago Camper

LOL, so simple. Thank you for the great idea!
Old 08-10-2023, 11:01 AM   #6
Winnebago Master

The Tour does not have a gas strut.

I also use the bungee method.
Wayne M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2023, 04:21 PM   #7
Winnebago Owner

New door Bracket works great

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cheryl_H View Post
Anyone had any luck finding a way to keep the door open on windy days? I hate that every other camper I see has a way to hold the door open and ours just slams shut if the wind hits it, thanks!
I have a 2013 QD and have used the bungee method but the bungee started to damage the rubber gasket. I ordered a new bracket from PTL Engineering for $119, part Hold Open Mechanisms Locking Door Check Kit, Kit Number: K001-523
marco1b is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2023, 04:38 PM   #8
Winnebago Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cheryl_H View Post
we've owned our2013 QD since new. I used a bungee for awhile, then took the strap off the top of the door and "renewed" the catch pocket that snaps around the little post on the door frame. that worked forabout a month, went back to bungee cord. when back at home, i replaced the bracket with new one which lasted about a year. Im back to the bungee, again. One of Winn's not so hot designs...like the 20' Aqua Hot exhaust pipe
good luck

2008 Winn Destination
2013 42QD
2023 Jeep Grand Cherokee
mwk50 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
door