Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-01-2011, 07:57 AM   #1
Winnebago Camper

2011 Tour/Ellipse 42QD

We recently visited the Atlantic City RV show & had a hance to check out the Tour/Ellipse 42QD....All I can say is WOW! What a wonderful floorplan! Suddenly, my Allegro Bay isn't enough according to the DW! I love the fact that it's 42' and the hall doesn't look like a landing strip down the middle of the coach. Winnebago Ind has a winner there!
MuckSavage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2011, 08:16 AM   #2
Winnebago Master

Isn't that some coach? We saw it this past summer at the Rally in Louisville and my DW felt the same way. We have a 2007 Ellipse and the sticker price on the new one is >$100k more than ours was. I guess making it the flagship and adding the bells and whistles adds up.

It's only money.

Rick

2007 Itasca Ellipse 40FD
RickO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2011, 09:40 AM   #3
Winnebago Owner

Have to agree that the 42QD is one sweet coach, as well as the 40cd which it the one we prefer, when we order we'll get it with the chairs on the drivers side and then I can take one out and build and install a small desk there, which we'll need.

Have to agree that I think Winnie hit a home run with that floorplan, since we plan on fulltiming in it the spacious rear bath is a big bonus as well as the spacious bedroom area.

Trap
Traps90 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2011, 03:22 AM   #4
Winnebago Owner

Yeah, this is the MH with the magic thermostat. It is installed behind the door that covers all the OnePlace stuff. Runs your roof airs and Aquahot to keep the little cabinet nice and warm or cool. Have not found the thermostat that controls the temp in the MH. Probably isn't one. Costs too much. If you are cold, just turn on all the TVs. Don't know what to do about cooling. See pg. 8 of Ellipse brochure for pics.

2006 Itasca Horizon 40KD, 2004 Honda CR-V
NoMoreAZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2011, 01:35 PM   #5
Winnebago Owner

We too saw the QD in Louisville, and instantly loved it. It fell off our short list because of a snippy sales rep. There are some things I didn't like as well as the Revolution, but the floorplan definitely wasn't one of them. It's by far the most genuinely residential layout I've seen in an RV.
2017 GMC Acadia toad
JMonroe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2011, 02:32 PM   #6
Winnebago Owner

Yep, The Ellipse either CD or QD is my dream coach. Still haven't decided on 40 or 42 when I do go for it.

But I do love that floor plans.... on both.

Regards Jim P.
pameridan04 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2011, 05:40 PM   #7
Winnebago Owner

We we're thinking the Ellipse with the Tarnished Silver exterior. but after just having seen a Tour with the Carbon Bronze, we may be switching to the Tour.
Will have to wait and see what 2012 brings.

Trap
Old 03-06-2011, 08:04 AM   #8
Winnebago Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by pameridan04 View Post
Yep, The Ellipse either CD or QD is my dream coach. Still haven't decided on 40 or 42 when I do go for it.

But I do love that floor plans.... on both.

Regards Jim P.
Jim, Pay close attention to the CCC, it may sway your decision. A 40' has most of the weight of a 42 - 43 foot rig, but without that third axle looses a lot of cargo capacity. I was just reading a review of a 40' coach that only had 1258 lbs of CCC left with full tanks, and NO people on board!!! My 43' rig has 6,000 lbs of CCC.
2017 GMC Acadia toad
Old 03-06-2011, 10:37 AM   #9
Winnebago Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by JMonroe View Post
Jim, Pay close attention to the CCC, it may sway your decision. A 40' has most of the weight of a 42 - 43 foot rig, but without that third axle looses a lot of cargo capacity. I was just reading a review of a 40' coach that only had 1258 lbs of CCC left with full tanks, and NO people on board!!! My 43' rig has 6,000 lbs of CCC.
Just curious are you talking about the 40cd or was that coach from another manufacture.

Trap
Old 03-06-2011, 11:54 AM   #10
Winnebago Owner

Hi Jay:

Yep I heard concerns about the carrying capacity when comparing the 40ft. vs 42ft. The other was the ride was so much better with the third axel.

I like the TV location amid ship over the fireplace on the 42. The ONLY thing I don't like on the 40 CD is the TV in front over driver. I have that now, and would rather in the middle of caoch somewhere.

But both layouts have all the other goodies I want, especially the bath and a half and regular fridge.

The one little thing I really liked in the Itasca Ellipse that the Winnie didn't have was a better looking, wood grained dash.

But I think I will wait till next year and save a few bucks on a 2011 used.... LOL

Regards Jim P.
pameridan04 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2011, 06:27 AM   #11
Winnebago Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoMoreAZ View Post
Yeah, this is the MH with the magic thermostat. It is installed behind the door that covers all the OnePlace stuff. Runs your roof airs and Aquahot to keep the little cabinet nice and warm or cool. Have not found the thermostat that controls the temp in the MH. Probably isn't one. Costs too much. If you are cold, just turn on all the TVs. Don't know what to do about cooling. See pg. 8 of Ellipse brochure for pics.
The thermostat has 2 remote sensors. One in the kitchen are & the other in the bedroom. It doesn't get a temp. reading from the thermostat in the cabinet.
MuckSavage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2011, 03:38 PM   #12
Winnebago Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Traps90 View Post
Just curious are you talking about the 40cd or was that coach from another manufacture.
Trap
I honestly don't remember, but should, I know it was recently. Sure sign of CRS.

I offer this as a simple caution. I have no doubt that there are 40' rigs with enough CCC for those that use them, but it is something you need to be aware of - do your homework, as there are many that are borderline, at best, for weekend use, let alone full time use.

If you're real serious, and about to sign on the dotted line, have them at least fill the tanks and take you to a certified scale. Then you'll know for sure. Mine was weighed before I took delivery.
2017 GMC Acadia toad
Old 03-07-2011, 03:47 PM   #13
Winnebago Camper

We also looked at the 2011 Tour/Ellipse but - For full timers or even half timers, there isn't much hanger space for clothes altho we really liked the floorplan and 2 baths. Have to give up something for something else I guess.

Richard
Old 03-08-2011, 03:10 PM   #14
Winnebago Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by richard12 View Post
We also looked at the 2011 Tour/Ellipse but - For full timers or even half timers, there isn't much hanger space for clothes altho we really liked the floorplan and 2 baths. Have to give up something for something else I guess.

Richard
That was one of my wifes concerns, but with having a washer/dryer in the unit we can definitely get by with less clothing, than if we had to go to the laundry mat once a week. heck my side will only have a few shirts and jeans along with a jacket.

Trap
Old 03-08-2011, 04:38 PM   #15
Winnebago Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by JMonroe View Post
I honestly don't remember, but should, I know it was recently. Sure sign of CRS.

I offer this as a simple caution. I have no doubt that there are 40' rigs with enough CCC for those that use them, but it is something you need to be aware of - do your homework, as there are many that are borderline, at best, for weekend use, let alone full time use.

If you're real serious, and about to sign on the dotted line, have them at least fill the tanks and take you to a certified scale. Then you'll know for sure. Mine was weighed before I took delivery.
I'm thinking if you get the Motorhome Magazine you may have read it on there write up of the new Integra Aspire 40'er. I just came accross it.

Trap
Old 03-09-2011, 07:48 PM   #16
Winnebago Camper

Traps90 and all,
I agree, don't need much space but still need sweats, Levis, shoes, shirts, T,s, etc....,and, going into and from winter temps to CA coastal weather we need some "stuff". Other half also "needs" "more" space.l

Richard