Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 12-13-2020, 02:43 PM   #1
Winnebago Camper

Time for tires

My tires on the Suncruiser 33V are nearing 9 years and I am planning on replacing them before hitting the road this spring. The current tires are Hercules model H 901 and the tread is still like new but I am obviously concerned about the age. They have been trouble free other than hard to keep balanced and the ride is very stiff. I have tried to research the best option for replacement and have found myself more confused than before I started. I would like a little better ride if possible. I would appreciate any recommendations you guys may have on this.
Thanks!
John
GJCruisers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2020, 03:00 PM   #2
Site Team

The Hercules are commercial truck tires and they are built for mileage not comfort. You are correct that regardless of the tread left you are certainly due for new tires if not overdue.

The usual RV tire brands are Michelin, Toyo, Goodyear and Hankook. Lately, I've seen folks rave about Toyo RV Tires.

I don't know if the Suncruiser is 19.5" or 22.5" tires. And since my RV uses 22.5" tires I'm more attuned to reviews on these. My RV came OEM with Michelin XRV tires which are good tires but suffer from sidewall cracking kind of prematurely - usually 5 to 7 years max.

In a couple of years it will be my turn and at this moment I'm leaning Toyo. But who knows what I'll do then.
Old 12-13-2020, 03:10 PM   #3
Winnebago Master

This is an area where there will be a wide range of thinking as lots of us have different views and differing uses of the RV.
So this is what I see for my use as a retired but not heavy user of the RV tires. We go once in a while now as we reached the point of not being interested enough to get out and look at lots of things!
We also added tire pressure monitors and that does give me a much different view than before when I had no idea what the tire pressures were doing. I aired tires to spec and thought it right to keep them as close as possible to that spec. I did the air when tires were deemed "cold" as they had not been driven, even though cold here in Central Texas is obviously not the same as "cold in Minnesota! But that's what the books recommend and I went with it until I got readings to watch what my tires actually do when I start driving.
I now find I get a much better ride if I air my tires to less than spec and let them come up in temperature and pressure to way above spec after I drive a few miles! Since I do not expect to ever drive enough miles to wear tire tread out, I'm willing to give up any slight loss of miles for a much better ride overall but still keep it well within same temperature and pressure.
Different RV, loaded and built different may have a totally different experience but the TPMS certainly showed me how much folly there was in the idea of setting to spec without taking temperatures into account.
Morich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2020, 04:35 PM   #4
Winnebago Camper

Mine are 19.5. Thanks !
Old 12-13-2020, 04:36 PM   #5
Winnebago Camper

Thanks! I am very particular about maintaining air pressure as well.
Old 12-13-2020, 06:02 PM   #6
Proud “No Intent” Owner

TireMinder has a good blog, in my opinion. Pick your topic, because he covers A LOT.

https://www.rvtiresafety.net/search/...er%20inflation
Old 12-20-2020, 05:20 PM   #7
Dives2Little

I replaced my Michelins with Toyo 22.5s. Love the ride and the $1000 price differnce forna set of 10!
Dives2little is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2020, 07:37 PM   #8
Winnie Owner

Continental vs Michelin tires

Swapped out 19.5" Continentals for Michelin XZE's due to age (Contis were pushing 9 years). Believe that means going from a truck tire "family" to an RV tire. The Michelins provide a much better ride. And a lot quieter. Handling just fine. Did notice that the Michelins might be slightly more sensitive (handling-wise) to underinflation than the Continentals.
jarnarcos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2020, 08:57 PM   #9
Proud “No Intent” Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by jarnarcos View Post
Swapped out 19.5" Continentals for Michelin XZE's due to age (Contis were pushing 9 years). Believe that means going from a truck tire "family" to an RV tire. The Michelins provide a much better ride. And a lot quieter. Handling just fine. Did notice that the Michelins might be slightly more sensitive (handling-wise) to underinflation than the Continentals.
Why would you be driving under inflated? Just curious.
Old 12-20-2020, 09:40 PM   #10
Winnie Owner

For my weight (VISTA 26P @16K lbs), can go down to 80PSI although 90PSI is more like it. At 80PSI the Contis were fine but the Michelins had bad oversteer. Pumped the Michelins up to 90PSI and all was fine. Only real suspension mod is a rear track bar. All else (e.g. front sway bar) is stock.
jarnarcos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2020, 12:45 AM   #11

Mayby your tires could have done with lower pressure safely to, and this gives a more comfortable ride.

I am able to calculate a pressure with maximum reserve, but still acceptable comfort and gripp. Then still the 10 years preventive replacement could be reached.
Mayby more treathwear and a bit more fuellconsumption.

Need best , weighed axle-end loads in the loading you go on tripp, second best axle-loads, but uf you did not weigh we will have to do with the GAWR's and GVWR , and configuration, number of axles and single/ dual load axle.

From tires exact sises ( so not only 19.5 inch) and loadrange, and if you can find it the speedcode.

And what pressures did you use.
jadatis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2020, 03:02 AM   #12

One of the hardest decisions I ever made was to buy Michelin. But after 100 miles I knew I made the right decision.

80,000 miles later, which is about 1,600 hours in the seat, I now pat myself on the back every time some one asks what brand of tires I recommend.

So thank you for that!

However, I will say this:

* 22.5 tire shopping is not the same a 19.5. There is about 10,000 lbs difference between these RVs and if you know nothing about RVs I would tell you buy the RV with the bigger tires every day of the week.

* Isn't ironic that Michelin's RV branded tires are known to crack. And from my own experience, their 22.5 RV tires are junk. DON'T BUY THEM. I had to return my 22.5 RV tires because of road noise at 55mph. And Michelin, being the best stood behind their product, and upgraded me at no charge to their 22.5" Truck Steer Tire.

The road noise was gone at 55mph and the ride was great and the side-wall construction took out some of that "coach side-to-side sway." I love this tire!

If you have 22.5" wheels, I highly recommend you buy Michelin's "Steer" tires and put them all the way around.

* Yes... Toyo is real popular too, but more so due to price. I say this because I have never heard from any owner who says they have run on both... and prefer Toyo over Michelin in the 22.5" wheel category. (Same coach, different tire manufacture... And Michelin always wins!)

* Buy the "G" rated tire for your coach. Don't think 2 extra ply with the "H" rated tire is better. It's not, because you want to buy a tire that allows you to run in the upper range of it's PSI. ...And in MAX or -5 PSI from MAX RATED COLD-PSI. THIS IS WHERE YOU WANT TO BE!

* Find out what your front and rear axle is rated for. The front tires will get the max-psi, but the back tires will be much less, because you have four tires.

...And the even with the "G" tires I still run them at 105 PSI. Note: The book for my rear axel weight says I should be at 95 PSI, but I do not like running on the low side of what the tire is rated for.

* 80PSI is the lowest pressure Michelin specifies, and below that your tire will blow due to heat and other road conditions.

* You want PSI "headroom" to catch a low tire in the event your valve stem leaks. (And they do sometimes!) Alternatively, if you have a TPMS. then this is not that important, but RIDE COMFORT IS.

* I recommend going with the "book" when it comes to setting PSI and then you can add 5-PSI at a time to know where you like your ride... mostly in the rear tires, because your front tires will be running near max-pressure anyway.

I once had a 38'DP with 19.5" wheels, rated at 21,000 CVGR (I think) and the Michelin RV tires road soft Cadillac! At first I didn't care for that but soon I liked the "glide." And after just 500 miles on the road I also was less fatigued.

* You don't hear much about fatigue, but less fatigue is very important if you ask me, and I got that riding on Michelin Vs Goodyear.

* I think Michelin is the gold standard all tire manufactures try to measure up!

On the other hand, if I knew I was only going to own the RV for 5 years... and I knew I would only be drive it 25,000 miles or less, then I would buy the TOYO!

...Everybody loves a good deal, but I'm in it for the long haul and comfort is worth paying for.
imnprsd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2020, 07:08 AM   #13
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by imnprsd View Post
...And the even with the "G" tires I still run them at 105 PSI. Note: The book for my rear axel weight says I should be at 95 PSI, but I do not like running on the low side of what the tire is rated for.
This is consistent with Tireman9's recommendation that you add 10% to the PSIs from the weight/psi tables.
BobC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2020, 07:23 AM   #14
2012 Itasca Suncruiser 37

Tires

I too have a 2004 Suncruiser 33V with a Workhorse Chassis. Last year I switched from Michelins to Toyos. I cannot tell the difference. And was almost 1/2 the price. We drive about 10,000 miles per year. So far they have been great. Hope this helps.
Armydave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2020, 08:11 AM   #15
Winnebago Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dives2little View Post
I replaced my Michelins with Toyo 22.5s. Love the ride and the $1000 price differnce forna set of 10!
Did the same last March. So far very well pleased, ride noticeably better.
Old 12-21-2020, 08:59 AM   #16
Winnebago Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Armydave View Post
I too have a 2004 Suncruiser 33V with a Workhorse Chassis. Last year I switched from Michelins to Toyos. I cannot tell the difference. And was almost 1/2 the price. We drive about 10,000 miles per year. So far they have been great. Hope this helps.
I made the same switch with the same results, couldn't tell a difference in ride, handling (such as 'handling' is in an RV) or road noise.
I'm on 22.5s, so different than the OP as far as that goes.
Old 12-21-2020, 01:24 PM   #17
Winnebago Owner

After 35000 miles and 5 years on the original Goodyear tires we changed to Continentals (19.5) and feel a better, quieter, and less jarring ride. Set at 100lbs cold and use TPS to monitor. 26HE Visa
Edbehl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2021, 06:11 PM   #18
Winnebago Camper

All good advice for tire care and maintenance.

Always keep in mind the enemy of your tire is low PSI, heat and weight distribution. The premium brands will generally be more forgiving. Michelin commercial is the only one that I know of that designs their bead package with rectangular strands of steel set at a 35 degree angle. All other brands use circular strands wrapped then encased in rubber bead package. According to Michelin testing this supports the claim of better wear and performance.
Farmhood is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
tires