Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Winnebago Owners Online Community > WINNEBAGO FLEET | MOTORHOMES and TRAILERS > Winnebago Class A Motorhomes
Click Here to Login
Register FilesRegistry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 08-19-2023, 11:51 AM   #1
Itasca Sunstar Owner

Slideout motor replacment 2015 Sunstar 35F

I have a 2015 sunstar 35F. I need to replace a motor on the bedroom slideout. When I took it in to get fixed the service technician could not get the motor out. He said the whole slide would have to be removed. This is a reputable rv service place and the tech has over 30yrs experience. Has anyone else had problems getting the motor out of a slideout??
Old 08-19-2023, 02:43 PM   #2
Winnebago Master

Well, that sounds a bit out of line!
Sometimes we find the right folks and sometimes we don't! I can's say for sure but that is not the way I see it done on most RV, so perhaps a closer look is needed?
There are many, many videos online showing it done on different RV, so perhaps a closer check with a search on the problem, will help?

On a 2015 Vista, it was a difficult job but done from the inside as there was an opening in the metal upright where the motor was slipped in/out. It is on the outer corner, so I did not see need to remove the whole slide to get to it!

But then, all RV have some differences, so they may need different methods?
What do you have in the corner of your slide? At the outside is there a strip of metal that you can imagine a gear rides along to open/close it?
This is not likely to be the correct slide or corner but an example?
https://catalog3d.winnebagoind.com/menu/Parts.htm

Click these to get better view?

Look to see if this is what you have as shown in drawings for your RV!
Click image for larger version

Name:	slide1 copy.jpg
Views:	31
Size:	38.4 KB
ID:	187032

Got this looking from outside but with motor enclosed in wall?

Name:	slide2 copy.jpg
Views:	31
Size:	45.1 KB
ID:	187033

Close view of how the gear and motor seperate

When looking from inside do you see a rubber flap/seal that blocks view of motor that sets in metal upright at corner? Pulling it back may let you spot the motor with a large screw holding the motor from sliding up and out through an opening in the metal track?

But before removing is it certain the motor is bad? Two points of failure, one which may not require removal/replacement!
The connections on top may get wet/ corrroded and fail.
But the better failure is the weight of the electrical cable hanging down can pull the connector loose enough to fail and it needs to be replugged and supported better!
A continuity test from the slide controller to the bmotor can save you a bunch but is the "tech" a real honest to goodness tech?
Telling you the whole thing has to be removed, kind of gives me some doubt but then there are many things I have missed, so that may just be my cynical side coming out!
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	slide3 copy.jpg
Views:	26
Size:	54.4 KB
ID:	187034  
Morich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2023, 03:48 PM   #3
Winnebago Master

I have replaced a motor on a 2015 Vista 27N. You do it from outside. With the slide at least 1/2 way open:

You will see the motor and a retention screw just above the top track behind the slide seal. You back out or remove (I don't remember which) the retention screw so the motor can lift of the shaft. There is a connector near the motor.

There is a metal plate hidden behind a plastic trim that you might have to remove to get enough clearance to get out the motor, I think I had to to remove it to replace the motor but I don't remember for sure. The plastic trim will slide down and off it is held only by a small glob of adhesive caulk near the bottom.

The metal plate is what the Lippert Swintek "H" rail assembly is attached to. You never want to unscrew the metal plates on both sides at the same time while working on it unless you have the slide box supported and really know what you are doing.
powercat_ras is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2023, 07:33 AM   #4
Itasca Sunstar Owner

Hi Morich and powercat_ras

Thanks for the reply.

Morich...it is the one that you posted. The tech worked over 3 hours on it and tested the wiring and controller. He figures it is the motor but could not get it out. He could get it loose but could not get it past the wall. I know they can be tight. He said some have a cutout to get the motor out but mind did not and he did not want to cut a notch in the metal bracket to get it out. The service place where I took it to is a reputable dealer and the tech has over 30yrs experience.
I am taking it to another place this weekend and the guy there said he has never had a problem getting a motor out and that you do not need to remove the slideout room...we will see...

powercat_ras

I have looked seen the motors in the wall but I am not physically able to do the work myself. I think the tech did not want to start ripping off trim to get it out. They were very busy and fitted me into their schedule probably thinking it was an easy job.

My superslide is also acting up. It is jumping on the one side and does not go out smoothly. The tech think the whole mechanism needs to be replaced on that one and says the slide definitely will have to come out. The guy I am taking it to on the weekend says he can get to the gears without having to take the slide out. I am having my doubts but again...we will see
Old 08-21-2023, 09:39 AM   #5
Winnebago Master

Sounds like a good plan. It will be interesting to find what actually happens.
I hate to be cycical all the time and it gets me in trouble at times but then I would have to question why your Rv would be so different.
Old 08-22-2023, 03:17 PM   #6
Winnebago Master

The metal extrusion that Winnebago used on my Vista so that they can mount the Swintek "H" col. to the outside sidewall is hidden by a piece of decorative trim that just slides down and off the extrusion. In fact when my RV was new one of the globs of adhesive caulk that was supposed to keep the trim from sliding down and falling off going down the road did not adhere to the trim and one of the 6 trim (my 27N has 3 Swintek slides) kept sliding down (fortunately never completely fell off) until I refreshed the glob of adhesive caulk. So your tech will not have to "rip off trim" to get to the metal extrusion.

Each extrusion is held on the sidewall by over a dozen fasteners each. Once you remove all the fasteners the extrusion and the H col can be moved out of the gap between the slideout and the sidewall , once you lift the motor from the shaft, allowing better access to to the motor and also allowing the bearing blocks to be inspected if need be to see if the plastic shoes that keep the V roller and spur gear properly meshed with the track on the sidewall are unbroken. The plastic shoe breaking leads to wear on the spur gear and or track and leads to the entire assembly on that side of the slide needing to be replaced.

The long slide on my Vista 27N acted up similar to what you describe above about 2 years after I purchased my 27N and the Winnebago factory service center replaced the entire assembly on both sides. My RV was made in December 2014 and the replacement was October 2016, and Winnebago used the latest version of Swintek for the replacement. There were several improvements made by Swintek that seem to make it more durable in particular on the very long slide box application. Fortunatly I had an extended warranty that covered the cost other than the deductible and my cost to drive from Kansas to Iowa.

Other than the 1 motor that failed that I replaced, I have had no other problems with my slides since the long slide repair in 2017. I do use the CRC Dry PTFE Lube and follow the recommended Lippert procedure to spray on the bearing blocks. NOT on the tracks only as directed on just the bearing blocks. It is a PITA to do but only needs to be done about twice per year.
Old 08-23-2023, 04:41 PM   #7
Winnebago Camper

Called Winnebago Tech Support?

Have you called Winnebago Technical support and asked them? 800-537-1885
LizandBruce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2023, 08:53 AM   #8
Winnebago Owner

Interested keep us updated, thanks
Brooks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2023, 08:56 AM   #9
Winnebago Owner

Slideout Motor Replacement 2015 Sunstar 35F

Randy,

Regarding:

I do use the CRC Dry PTFE Lube and follow the recommended Lippert procedure to spray on the bearing blocks. NOT on the tracks only as directed on just the bearing blocks. It is a PITA to do but only needs to be done about twice per year.

Is it possible you can expand a little on the above?? Or can you tell me how to find the Lippert procedure?? I have just been lubing the tracks on our 2020 Navion 24V.

cthiggy
cthiggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2023, 09:45 AM   #10
Winnebago Master

Lubricate the gibs and motor coupler areas on the bearing block. This was the best thing I ever found that shows exactly were the points are that lube is recommended.

The photo is without the sidewall track and the "shoe" that fits into the slot on the track and is snapped onto the bearking block that is actually in front of the gear and motor coupler. So, it's not as easy to get in there to the coupler area as it looks in the photo.

In my opinion the two "gibs" that are even with the center of the roller below the track on each side of the roller is the important area to lube. The bearing block can move in and out on them to allow it to follow the sidewall tracks so the V roller and gear stays properly aligned with the track.

Once you get the right shape bent to the red extension tube it becomes easier to repeat.

Attached Thumbnails

Name:	2013-11 Slide Mechanism Noise Tech Info.jpg
Views:	155
Size:	114.6 KB
ID:	187068  
Old 08-24-2023, 11:01 AM   #11
Itasca Sunstar Owner

thanks for all the replies. I will keep you posted on what happens.
Old 08-24-2023, 05:48 PM   #12
Winnebago Camper

Slide out motor removal

When our slide stopped working hubby had to first remove the screw under the rubber seal on the outside up at the top that holds the motor in place.

He then took the trim off the inside of the slide out to access the motor. Then he had to cut a hole in the metal in front of the motor on the inside where he removed the trim. He then tipped the motor and it came out. He put it back the same way.

Didn’t seem that hard. Getting the trim back on and looking good because he wasn’t real careful, taking it off and putting the rubber seal back was the hardest part.
Joette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2023, 02:53 PM   #13
Winnie-Wise

I just attended Lippert's technical Institute classes for owners and this was discussed at length. Everyone agrees, this is a tough (not fun) job, but completely doable. There was never any mention of having to remove a slide to remove/replace a motor.
Since I have a 35f, I'll be following.
Good luck
Old 08-26-2023, 07:03 PM   #14
Winnebago Master

If you think of what it would take to remove a slide? Maybe a fork lift to set it down?
And what does one have to do once you have the slide totally torn out and setting on the ground?
Pretty much the same as if you did it without taking the slide off the RV!

It's at that point that I begin to wonder about the folks who tell us we have to take the slide out!
Are they just folks who honestly have no idea what they are doing OR are they the sort who will tell you that story to justify a huge bill and then they actually do it the quick way???

Tags
slideout, slide