Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-27-2010, 06:35 PM   #1
Winnebago Master

HWH jack spring replacment

My right rear leveling jack has always been slow to retract but had recently gotten worse and would never completely retract. So, our friends at Lichtsinn sent me new springs and I dragged my 60 year old body under the beast to change them.

Getting the old springs off was not bad at all....they were obviously losing their spunk. The new springs are a bit more hefty and I knew I would never be able to stretch them enough while laying on my back on the ground. So, remembering a tip I read on this forum (I think), I used a nearby tree and the trailer hitch on my golf car to 'stretch' the springs enough to insert a bunch of wooden wedges (hope the DW doesn't miss those wooden clothes pins) between several of the coils. This lengthened the spring enough to get them back on....the fronts most easy since I could actually sit behind the front tire and push down of the jack foot with both hands. Once the springs were in place, I extended the jacks and removed the wedges .

Every time I get under the beast I tell myself this will be the last time I will do this stuff....getting too old and fat. So, I told myself that again today....we will see .
'07 Country Coach Allure 470 Siskiyou Summit #31578, Cummins ISL 425; 2014 Ford F150 toad; Air Force One Toad Brake.
Glen Allen, VA; Smith Mountain Lake, VA.
smlranger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2010, 07:02 PM   #2
Winnebago Master

Well, I'm pushing 68 and also "pleasingly plump". Still saying this will be the last time and still going under there... So, you've got lots more years left to get under the beastie.
tomsm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2010, 07:08 PM   #3
Winnebago Watcher

I turned 70 this year, and am a bit past "Pleasingly" plump. I got under yesterday, but the DW has to help me get back on my feet. Last year, got down on my knees in the front yard, had nothing to pull up on, had to wait till DW missed me and came to help me up.
Noelj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2010, 09:05 PM   #4
Winnebago Owner

Thank you guys for making me feel good! At 73 I feel like I'm still going strong, and enjoy doing the work myself! Not that I don't trust the mech, but when I do it, I know what was done and how it was done!

RedT in Glendale, AZ
'04 Meridian
'03 Jeep Liberty
M&G Brake System
RedT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2010, 09:44 PM   #5
Winnebago Owner

I wonder how many of us Old Farts are still shade tree mechanics at heart. I have a set of six inch ramps I drive up on when I need to be under the coach plus some cribbing I place under the jack pads so I can scoot around on my creeper in comfort and safety. The concrete floor in the garage sure beats a piece of cardboard on the gravel. Ah, war stories!
US Gear UBS
FleetMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2010, 05:32 AM   #6
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by FleetMan View Post
I wonder how many of us Old Farts are still shade tree mechanics at heart. I have a set of six inch ramps I drive up on when I need to be under the coach plus some cribbing I place under the jack pads so I can scoot around on my creeper in comfort and safety. The concrete floor in the garage sure beats a piece of cardboard on the gravel. Ah, war stories!
I can tell you if I had a garage or just a concrete pad, I would get a creeper and be less reluctant to continue to do all my own service work. Mine is parked on gravel and I'm stretching the limits of my HOA to have even that area to store the rig.
'07 Country Coach Allure 470 Siskiyou Summit #31578, Cummins ISL 425; 2014 Ford F150 toad; Air Force One Toad Brake.
Old 03-28-2010, 07:43 AM   #7
Winnebago Owner

No HOA for me! I poured the concrete pad before I bought the motorhome. (Not sure I like being called an Old Fart, though) <G>

RedT in Glendale, AZ
'04 Meridian
'03 Jeep Liberty
M&G Brake System
RedT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2010, 08:11 AM   #8
Winnie-Wise

Smallranger

Did you replace just the right rear or both rear jack springs. My RR jack is behaving in a similar manner. Last trip out it actually came down some while driving and set off all the alarms. Funny though about those RR jacks. My previous coach with HWH levelers it was the RR jack that was the slow to retract one also.
RCtime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2010, 08:31 AM   #9
Winnebago Camper

Both of our frt HWH jacks won't retract all the way. DW and I crawled under it with 2 longs crow bars and changed the springs. This helped but we still have to use a long handle shovel to get them all the way up. I guess I'll have to take them off and have them rebuilt?

I was telling DW the other day that we need to win the lottery before I get old so we can afford to pay youngster to work on our beast.

We have a nice concrete carport, but I don't have a low rider creeper so I keep destroying the backside of my coveralls/jumpsuit. My birthday is just around the corner so I'm keeping my fingers crossed.
lonestarace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2010, 10:22 AM   #10
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by RCtime View Post
Smallranger

Did you replace just the right rear or both rear jack springs. My RR jack is behaving in a similar manner. Last trip out it actually came down some while driving and set off all the alarms. Funny though about those RR jacks. My previous coach with HWH levelers it was the RR jack that was the slow to retract one also.
I replaced all the springs, front and rear. All the jacks store very quickly now.
Old 03-29-2010, 10:45 AM   #11
Winnebago Watcher

I had to purchase a 4x8 sheet of 2" pink styrofoam insulation for another project, and have found the leftover section is perfect for putting down on the concrete to slide under on. The surface is smooth, and I can put my knees down on it like a kneeling pad, which I can't do on the concrete. 1" works OK, but the 2" is better. I try not to do enough work under to justify the cost of a new creeper. so the foam works for anything that I will be doing.
Old 03-30-2010, 08:54 PM   #12
Winnie-Wise

Smile

OK I'll try & do 1 better. I just recieved the front left jack cylinder from HWH. I'm waiting for the rain to stop to R&R the RAM. This means I'll have to remove the springs, foot, electrical switch, hydrolic lines and un-bolt? the ram. Then reverse this to reinstall. All on a piece of cardbord box. MH is parked on old ground up asphault. Ouch. My jack doesn't retract from the ground and If I can get a crow bar under it to lift, sometimes it just pushed back down. U have to raise and lower the coach a number of times and maybe U can push the jack back up if U R lucky. Diognossis--- bad ram. Sorry I didn't mean to hi jack the thread.
2001 32-V Suncruiser,Ford V-10, 310 HP, 4 Koni FSD's, KVH Tracvision,trickle charge, awning travel lock, 1 dinning room slide; no roof leaks, 03malibu toad sometimes, Blackhawk all terrain towbar, Roadmaster brake Pro,1 wife,1 westy, life is good!
bobpie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2010, 04:36 AM   #13
Winnebago Master

Gary, I know what a chore it is. I replaced all of mine and watched a couple of guys from the local garage do it. Cost me $125.00 to have it done but they did all the stretching.

I use a old piece of carpet to lay on when under the coach...Like Jolson it isn't getting down that hurts its getting up. At 75,6'2" 320lbs anytime I get my butt below my knees I am in big trouble. Keep on keeping on and good , safe miles to all.
ichn2go is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2010, 07:45 AM   #14
Winnebago Watcher

In 2007 we took our MH to HWH in Moscow Iowa and let them do the work. I was amazed at how much work they done on the jacks, wiring, and switches that they said was "on the house".
JoeandMarcia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2010, 08:25 AM   #15
Winnebago Watcher

We also made a stop when we passed through Moscow. Iowa. One jack was leaking a bit, amd the controller was getting a bit flakey. Sure is nice to see how easy those folks can slide under and "get 'er done" They go past the call of duty, and made sure everythig was right before we left. Well worth the trip to go by there, but watch out for the roads.
Old 03-31-2010, 08:58 PM   #16
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeandMarcia View Post
In 2007 we took our MH to HWH in Moscow Iowa and let them do the work. I was amazed at how much work they done on the jacks, wiring, and switches that they said was "on the house".
With the economy like it is I wonder how much extra "on the house" they would do these days? I was at Forest City late in '05 with my '04 Winnebago when it was several months out of warranty and they did all sorts of free gratis service but was there again in the fall of '08 and they even charged me 1/4 hour labor to open the frig door and tell me I needed the contact pins replaced for the door heater. If anyone has been to Moscow lately, what kind of service did you get?

Wagonmaster2
wagonmaster2 is offline   Reply With Quote