Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-11-2020, 02:39 PM   #1
Winnebago Camper

TV antenna cable replacment

A weak signal to the TV started me looking at fixes. The cable that comes out of the roof at the antenna mount is worn. Also noticed the coax is RG 59, in our 2001 Adventurer. The PO replaced TV's but they used a dish and don't think the relied on the roof antenna. Has anyone run new cable through the roof of their older unit? From openings where I can see, the roof insulation is Styrofoam, about 3" worth. The cable at the antenna going into the roof has a fair amount of play, but haven't yet pulled hard enough at the roof end to see what happens. I also haven't yet accessed the cable behind the TV to see how much play is there. I pictures from a couple other TV replacement projects I have seen where the cable comes out of the ceiling in the space behind the TV. The cable runs about 10' inside the roof.
Another question is how much, if any loss of signal will happen if I replace the section of cable from the antenna connection to however far I can get into the roof? Looks like I could get the connection into the roof opening maybe 6 to 8 inches.
Any thoughts or input would be appreciated!
Thanks, Phil
Skipperphil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2020, 05:03 PM   #2
Winnebago Camper

Found part on TV reception problem.
Antenna head is rotated up 90 degrees in picture.
Click image for larger version

Name:	A117A78B-C91A-4D97-A7E2-A03AA625BA68.jpg
Views:	89
Size:	170.7 KB
ID:	173526
The Winegard Rayzar antenna head wears the cable when the antenna is down.
A new Sensar lV is on the way.
Cable replacement in the roof remains an unknown.
Skipperphil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2021, 06:28 PM   #3
Winnebago Watcher

Just read your posting regarding the cable replacement and found it most interesting. However, in my 2011J model, I have to replace that cable and a former owner cut it off at the roof level and then stuffed the rest down the hole in the bracket. Do know where INSIDE the coach this cable is? The new cable is only 5ft.long and from what was left on the antenna itself, that looks to be the length outside. That being said, the amount of cable within the coach is only about a foot or so long. Any help would be appreciated sir.
EdsView is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
antenna