Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Winnebago Owners Online Community > WINNEBAGO FLEET | MOTORHOMES and TRAILERS > Winnebago Class A Motorhomes
Click Here to Login
Register FilesRegistry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 07-23-2023, 06:44 PM   #1
Winnebago Watcher

Replacing entry door handle with keyless

Trying to see if anyone has replaced the entry door handle with a keyless entry style. I've seen several but not sure if or how they work out. We have an 2017 Winnebago vista 29ve and thinking of replacing the entry with keyless.
Thank you
CW
Chrisjen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2023, 06:51 PM   #2
Winnebago Master

I found this old thread addressing your lock: https://www.winnieowners.com/forums/...ck-356976.html
2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA 1SG, retired;PPA,Good Sam Life member,FMCA. "We the people are the rightful masters of both the Congress and the Courts - not to overthrow the Constitution but to overthrow men who pervert the Constitution." Abraham Lincoln
Ray,IN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2023, 06:59 PM   #3
Winnebago Master

Since that thread above, RV Lock has released the Atlas model that works with the Trimark style mentioned in the thread.

RVLock Atlas Keyless Handle

tderonne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2023, 10:47 PM   #4
Winnebago Watcher

Thank you, unfortunately I checked it out and the position of my current handle does not meet the fit for their particular keyless entry requirements. I'll keep trying, but it was also $299... not sure it's worth it at this point.
Thanks again for your response
CW
Chrisjen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2023, 05:36 PM   #5
Winnebago owner

I'm curious to know what in particular caused the RV lock Atlas to not work on your RV. It looks similar to the lock on my 2015 Itasca Suncruiser 38Q, which I replaced with the RV lock Atlas, and I love it.

When I first measured my clearance on the door it appeared that it would not work, but closer inspection showed that my door had about a half inch overhang that does not affect the lock. If this is your issue, the Atlas will work.

When I installed the Atlas I had an issue that it kept binding, but my door had 3 aluminum spacers that pushed the width about 1/8 inch too thick for the Atlas, I removed these and it worked like a charm.

As I said, I absolutely love this lock. It comes with two key fobs and two new keys. It cannot be rekeyed to your coach's keys, but that does not matter (at least to me). I hide a key that will open the drivers door in an emergency, and a key for the atlas lock in case the battery goes dead and I know I can get in. If I"m outside and I want something in my RV I simply enter the code and enter, no more walking into the house to find the RV keys.

That being said my only issue was the battery. Because this is not hooked to your 12 volt system, and 12 volts does not exist inside my door the Atlas relies on a lithium Ion battery onboard. Every few months you need to hook a cable to the door and recharge the internal battery or it might go dead. I recharged my battery 3.5 months after install, not because it had stopped working, but because I just felt 3.5 months was a sufficient time to wait. I've only had mine installed since early April and if I forget to charge that battery I just have to locate the key.

If you have issues you can call RV lock, they told me to re-measure when I originally thought the opening was too far from the edge of the door, and they were absolutely correct that it would work. As your lock appears very similar to mine, I think, if you really want a keyless entry calling RV lock would help. It's worth the money and the install was a lot easier than I though it would be..
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_6442.jpg
Views:	34
Size:	332.4 KB
ID:	186813   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_6443.jpg
Views:	39
Size:	228.4 KB
ID:	186814  

Old 07-31-2023, 05:19 PM   #6
Winnebago Owner

I have a 2004 Horizon and I purchased the atlas lock and it was almost exactly like the original but it was just not quite right and would not work on my coach. I sent it back. They do charge a fee to take it back so you don't get all of your money back. I really wanted that lock but it was just different enough that it did not work. I also had to cut some metal off the door to get it in. The original lock covered where I had to cut the door.
Old 07-31-2023, 05:42 PM   #7
Winnebago Owner

I have the RV Lock Atlas on my 2017 29ve.

The door is indeed "too thick" to work. I, however, determined a way around that and had to bend the internal plate that makes the outside handle "catch" the internal mechanism.

I love the lock and convenience and almost gave up before I found someone who had to do something similar.

I posted a few photos. You can see I bent the inside "catch" that was getting scratched by it's outside counterpart because the door was too thick. If interested, send me a PM, and I'll share my experience.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	20230601_170345 (2).jpg
Views:	37
Size:	313.5 KB
ID:	186830   Click image for larger version

Name:	20230601_171944 (2).jpg
Views:	46
Size:	236.2 KB
ID:	186831  

Name:	DoorHandleRVLockJun2023 (2).jpg
Views:	40
Size:	124.0 KB
ID:	186832  
Old 07-31-2023, 07:11 PM   #8
Winnebago owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by JLUSoCal View Post
I have the RV Lock Atlas on my 2017 29ve.

The door is indeed "too thick" to work. I, however, determined a way around that and had to bend the internal plate that makes the outside handle "catch" the internal mechanism.

I love the lock and convenience and almost gave up before I found someone who had to do something similar.

I posted a few photos. You can see I bent the inside "catch" that was getting scratched by it's outside counterpart because the door was too thick. If interested, send me a PM, and I'll share my experience.

Looking at that piece of aluminum on the bottom of photo 2, isn't that removable to make the door thinner? I had three of these, one on the bottom (like the one you show), one on the edge near the side of the door and one on the top. Once I removed all of these I was able to mount the Atlas, and tighten it down easily. I did add caulking to the outside just to keep the atlas in place because there was caulking on the original lock. It works great.

I've attached photo's of the three pieces I removed from my door to make the Atlas work in case this also affects you (should you need to remove the lock any time in the future).
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMG_6444.jpg
Views:	24
Size:	214.6 KB
ID:	186835   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_6445.jpg
Views:	26
Size:	236.1 KB
ID:	186836  

Old 07-31-2023, 07:36 PM   #9
Winnebago Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by pubtime View Post
Looking at that piece of aluminum on the bottom of photo 2, isn't that removable to make the door thinner? I had three of these, one on the bottom (like the one you show), one on the edge near the side of the door and one on the top. Once I removed all of these I was able to mount the Atlas, and tighten it down easily. I did add caulking to the outside just to keep the atlas in place because there was caulking on the original lock. It works great.

I've attached photo's of the three pieces I removed from my door to make the Atlas work in case this also affects you (should you need to remove the lock any time in the future).
Ah, I did see those in there, and you're right they did make it thicker. If I have trouble, I'll look into pulling them out.

Thanks, makes more sense now as to what you were referring to.
Old 07-31-2023, 08:36 PM   #10
Winnebago owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by JLUSoCal View Post
Ah, I did see those in there, and you're right they did make it thicker. If I have trouble, I'll look into pulling them out.

Thanks, makes more sense now as to what you were referring to.
At first I thought they were molded into the fiberglass and considered sending the lock back, but got lucky when one moved as I was fitting. A light went off, so did the three pieces of metal and my problem solved. I removed some styrofoam between the panels as a precaution, but that wasn’t necessary because with the metal gone it was just perfect.

I’ve made a lot of mods to my RV, but this one was the one I wanted most and the most useful, even better than the electric tank drains operable from inside while snow birding.

To the original OP, it’s worth it, no matter what small mods you have to make to have a keyless lock. Give it a try, if it works I think you’ll be pleased.
pubtime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2023, 09:48 AM   #11
Winnebago Watcher

Pubtime,

Thanks so much for posting this. This has been one of the upgrades that I wanted the most. Didn't even know that anyone had come up with a keyless entry replacement for the TriMark lock until I stumbled on to this thread. I had given up a while ago.

Then I measured my 2016 Vista 31BE and it looked like it wouldn't work due to the 1/2" overhang on the front door edge. I thought about it and measured from the back and I surmised what you were saying about it before I read your post. Problem number one solved by your post. I then had read about the door width issue and after reading your first post- suspected the spacers were gonna be removable-but wasn't quite sure what they looked like. Your next posts cleared that up also.

I have mine supposedly arriving Friday and look forward to a fairly painless install thanks to your postings.

Just wanted to let you know you helped someone else as well.

Thanks!
Slatsup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2023, 10:52 AM   #12
Winnebago owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slatsup View Post
Pubtime,

Thanks so much for posting this. This has been one of the upgrades that I wanted the most. Didn't even know that anyone had come up with a keyless entry replacement for the TriMark lock until I stumbled on to this thread. I had given up a while ago.

Then I measured my 2016 Vista 31BE and it looked like it wouldn't work due to the 1/2" overhang on the front door edge. I thought about it and measured from the back and I surmised what you were saying about it before I read your post. Problem number one solved by your post. I then had read about the door width issue and after reading your first post- suspected the spacers were gonna be removable-but wasn't quite sure what they looked like. Your next posts cleared that up also.

I have mine supposedly arriving Friday and look forward to a fairly painless install thanks to your postings.

Just wanted to let you know you helped someone else as well.

Thanks!

Good luck. I think you'll love it, I have it on all my vehicles and wanted it on my RV. Take your time and carefully fit it in the opening. If it binds, just move it a little. You may have to trim a bit of Fiberglass around the opening, depending on how Winnebago originally cut yours, but it will be minimal.

Those aluminum spacers will easily pop out giving you that extra 1/8 inch you'll need to screw the RV Lock atlas together without having to screw it in so tight that it binds. Too tight and it will bind and not extend the lock. If you get to that point just loosen, and (if necessary) re-align carefully. Once it works I'd suggest using a decent caulk on the outside (originally there was a (it appears non silicon) caulk on mine). I had an open tube of white Proflex RV that worked well (clear would look better but at my age I don't care too much).

Good luck on your install, just work with it, finesse and you'll have it in no time.
Old 08-01-2023, 05:14 PM   #13
Winnebago Watcher

Thanks for the tips. I'll let you know how it goes.
Old 08-01-2023, 05:29 PM   #14
Winnebago Owner

Quality is every bit as good, if not better, than the TriMark. I'm impressed, and for me too, it's great.

I have my RV parked on the side of the house and right outside my office (behind a fence to NOT be a nuisance to neighbors). I go in several times a week for one reason or another between trips, and NO more keys to find.

It looks much better on the inside - mine was whit"ish" inside and didn't look good, the new one is black on the inside and looks much more modern.

I strongly suggest as was pointed out pulling the braces and making the door a bit skinnier - no need to tweak a brand new part - thanks Pubtime for sharing.
Old 08-05-2023, 02:29 PM   #15
Winnebago Watcher

Success on my install! Works very well and I am very pleased. After reading pubtime's posts this install was very easy.

Had to trim just a small amount of the manufacturers cut mainly the upper right and left outside corners. Used my Dremel with a small 'barrel' sander. Took two minutes at most. That and removing the three metal spacers seemed to be the trick.

Did manage to lock myself in because I foolishly shut the door to make sure the deadbolt lined up with the door frame before I adjusted the calibration nut (like a moron) but since I was inside it was easy to unscrew the inside cover and unlatch the bottom latch. Other than that- it was pretty painless.

Thanks so much for everyone's posts.

Anyone with a 2016 Vista 31BE that reads this shouldn't hesitate even though the measurements don't look acceptable due to the 1/2" overhang that makes it look like instead of 2 1/4" to 2 1/2" to out edge of door it measures 2 7/8". It works anyway.

For some reason photo orientation isn't correct. But you get the idea of the measurements for the Vista.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	RV Trimark lock measurements 2.jpg
Views:	26
Size:	68.9 KB
ID:	186880   Click image for larger version

Name:	RV Trimark lock measurements 1.jpg
Views:	27
Size:	98.8 KB
ID:	186881  

Old 08-10-2023, 07:24 AM   #16
Winnebago owner

I’ve bee traveling with the grandkids and just thought to check how it went with your RV lock install. Glad it went well! I’m generally reluctant to say “try this” because I know every RV is different and there are hidden obstacles others may encounter but I’ve never been happier with an upgrade I’ve done so I had to suggest others try it.

The RV lock atlas is great, my granddaughters are able to return from the campground pool without a key, and since they’re first out of the car the door is open when I get there. It’s a great upgrade and I’m happy yours went well!!

You’ll enjoy having it.

Jim
Old 01-31-2024, 06:29 PM   #17
Winnebago Watcher

I'm giving it a go

Alright, you guys motivated me to give this a shot. Ordering it now for my 2017 29VE
elgreco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2024, 07:28 PM   #18
Winnebago owner

I have confidence you’ll love it. I’ve been elated with mine. I installed it last summer and have been snow birding since the end of December with it. Haven’t had to carry my key, and a couple of times was able to unlock it in the rain BEFORE getting to the door with the FOB.

It’s one of the best mods I’ve done and the one I was happiest to discover.

Good luck on the install. If you have any problems I think you’ll find the manufacturer helpful, but most problems are pretty easy to resolve from my experience.
Old 02-02-2024, 09:49 AM   #19
Winnebago Watcher

Quote:
Originally Posted by pubtime View Post
I have confidence you’ll love it. I’ve been elated with mine. I installed it last summer and have been snow birding since the end of December with it. Haven’t had to carry my key, and a couple of times was able to unlock it in the rain BEFORE getting to the door with the FOB.

It’s one of the best mods I’ve done and the one I was happiest to discover.

Good luck on the install. If you have any problems I think you’ll find the manufacturer helpful, but most problems are pretty easy to resolve from my experience.
Just finished! I'm pretty stoked about it. It looks great and feels so much less sloppy than the original when opening it.

All I had to do was trim away some of the border to make it a little more square. It would have been an easy job with a Dremel, but I had to make it more difficult and use a small hand saw since I didn't have one. I was even able to leave those aluminum pieces that people were talking about in place and the handle still seems to catch fine.

Thanks for giving me the confidence, guys.

For the next guy using google: 2017 Winnebago Vista 29ve RVLOCK Atlas
elgreco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2024, 10:23 AM   #20
Winnebago Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by elgreco View Post
Just finished! I'm pretty stoked about it. It looks great and feels so much less sloppy than the original when opening it.

All I had to do was trim away some of the border to make it a little more square. It would have been an easy job with a Dremel, but I had to make it more difficult and use a small hand saw since I didn't have one. I was even able to leave those aluminum pieces that people were talking about in place and the handle still seems to catch fine.

Thanks for giving me the confidence, guys.

For the next guy using google: 2017 Winnebago Vista 29ve RVLOCK Atlas
That's great - my door still needs me to go back and remove the aluminum trim as others noted. My bottom lock won't move freely but I think that was on me as I bent the catch down due to the thicker door.

I too think it's a great mod - one of the best for us as well as we have it stored on the side of the house and get in it between trips!

Tags
door