Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-20-2020, 07:22 PM   #1
Winnie-Wise

2020 view broken entry door handle

Well broke my entry door handle after 3 days. The manuals have no info or maker on the door. Little sticker on the inside handle says do not open inside and outside handle at same time. Today I was going out while the wife was coming in. Now the outside handle just flops loose and has no function. Seems it could be a simple fix if a manual was available. Rather fix myself than the trouble to bring to a dealer. Anyone have info on who makes the door? I'll call Winn in the morning to find out. I dont think I'll be the first or last person that will do this.
crah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2020, 07:52 PM   #2
Winnebago Master

suspect a new latch is all that you will need, rather than the whole door. Not worked on that year, for sure!
Are you familiar with some of the online help sites?
This is a new one for ID on the options on your unit and how to read it. Might be a place to start. Also I might get in touch with Winnebago for specifics but having the info on hand first might always help.
There used to be lots of info like what colors, sealers, trim, etc. and Winnebago has changed a bunch of the online so that I've lost track of how to find stuff but assume it is still there somewhere?

Start for ID:
https://www.winnebago.com/owners/own...entify-your-rv
Morich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2020, 08:43 PM   #3
Winnie-Wise

Thanks for the link. I couldn't find anything on this door . For 2020 the view changed to a new European door and Winn buys it from Europe. That is what I heard anyways. I cant find any info on it. Seems a simple link is probably disconnected inside when both handles were pulled at the same time. I dont think that's an issue with domestic door hardware.
Old 01-21-2020, 11:17 AM   #4
Site Team

What did WBGO Support say when you contacted them about the issue?
Old 01-21-2020, 11:23 AM   #5
Winnie-Wise

The door is too new and they have no info on it. They suggested bring in to the dealer.

Said Lippert supplies it. Called Lippert and they said it was too new and they didnt have literature. Asked for me to take picture of inside handle and email it to them which I did a short while ago...looks like I may have to take apart myself at this point.
Old 01-21-2020, 11:42 AM   #6
Site Team

Yikes. Somebody knows. Otherwise they wouldn't have that warning on the door.

You can bet the dealer doesn't know. All they'll do is take it apart to see if they can fix it or not.

Also, you're not going to be the only 2020 View owner that runs into this issue. You can count on that.
Old 01-21-2020, 11:55 AM   #7
Winnie-Wise

Quote:
Originally Posted by creativepart View Post
Yikes. Somebody knows. Otherwise they wouldn't have that warning on the door.

You can bet the dealer doesn't know. All they'll do is take it apart to see if they can fix it or not.

Also, you're not going to be the only 2020 View owner that runs into this issue. You can count on that.

Agree. I told Winn that I didnt want it to have it sit at the dealer for a month especially knowing they have no manual on this. Looks like it's time to take it apart after work. Nothing like repairing a new RV. At least I made it 3 days.
Old 01-24-2020, 11:30 AM   #8
Winnebago Watcher

Great....same thing happened to my door 2020 N D
scottme33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2020, 11:49 AM   #9
Winnie-Wise

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottme33 View Post
Great....same thing happened to my door 2020 N D
I ended up fixing mine. You have to remove the plastic full height trim. There are 4 black plastic plugs on the edge of door. 2 on side and 1 on top and 1 bottom. Then remove the long door bar with small Allen wrench and screw. That will let you remove the cover. Once that is off, you have to orakbinside at the guts. There is a white plastic bar and different metal bar that has to be reversed position. You can push the plastic one over with a screw driver without opening the guts of the hardware. It's easier and faster than I explained. I have pictures that will help. First picture is the plugs you have to remove. They just pry off. 2nd picture is looking inside the hardware. In the middle you will see a white rectangular plastic piece with scrape marks and metal rectangular piece. This is how it should look when correct. It will be the opposite when you open it. You can use a screw driver and push the plastic piece to the other side. Let me know if you have more questions.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20200121_145422.jpg
Views:	260
Size:	148.4 KB
ID:	172750   Click image for larger version

Name:	20200121_151317.jpg
Views:	425
Size:	141.3 KB
ID:	172751  

Old 01-24-2020, 06:33 PM   #10
Winnebago Watcher

Thanks, that is very helpful....very helpful indeed!
Old 01-26-2020, 04:52 PM   #11
Winnebago Master

Crah - Congratulations on repairing your door lock. Not many of us tackle jobs like that but I have found that it is highly unlikely that a dealer tech has either so might as well try myself. Have been RVing for 12 years and fix virtually anything that can be but there are things that need to be replaced. Some dealers will order the part under warranty and let you do the fix as they are so backlogged. After 12 years, I have enough tools to tackle almost anything. Good luck and you will enjoy the coach much more with your skills to keep thing in shape.
bobmac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2020, 05:09 PM   #12
Winnebago Watcher

When I get mine apart next week, I will look for a more permanent fix. In the future, the person on the outside leaves the handle alone if its locked till the person on inside opens door.
Old 01-26-2020, 05:47 PM   #13
Winnie-Wise

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobmac View Post
Crah - Congratulations on repairing your door lock. Not many of us tackle jobs like that but I have found that it is highly unlikely that a dealer tech has either so might as well try myself. Have been RVing for 12 years and fix virtually anything that can be but there are things that need to be replaced. Some dealers will order the part under warranty and let you do the fix as they are so backlogged. After 12 years, I have enough tools to tackle almost anything. Good luck and you will enjoy the coach much more with your skills to keep thing in shape.
I have no problem fixing something if its fast and easier. Learned that from my first new RV 13 years ago after waiting on warranty work. Seems my RV may have been build on a Friday or Monday. I got every option available except the acrylic window. There is no sewer storage where its supposed to be. Its completely missing. Not sure of the 2020 is supposed to have a battery boost like the older models but I dont have one. I didnt inspect the roof on delivery due to the excitement and there is black sealant footprints all over the roof and silicone dabs covered all over the solar panels. All the sealant on the roof is black. For some reason all the videos ive seen it being white just like my previous rvs. All the caulking. On the outside has a slight yellow tint too. Not sure if these are all supposed to be normal. Looks like I need to call Winnie tomorrow. If anyone else has info on this please chime in.
Old 01-26-2020, 06:15 PM   #14
Winnebago Owner

I broke mine. It is a pretty standard setup. I ordered one from etrailer. It was an exact fit.
Snakebite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2020, 10:07 AM   #15
Winnebago Watcher

Thanks for above post

Had same issue over the weekend on a 2020 view

removed inside long door handle
removed plastic studs
removed inside door cover

looken in to lock mechanism ( from the side of door ) and noticed that when you pull on outside door handle out , a little metal rectangle lever moves from left to right ( as if looking from outside of door )

normally that should push a little white rectangle plastic lever from left to right which opens door

the white plastic lever was on the left of the metal lever, so when metal lever goes from left to right ( when you pull outside door handle ) nothing happens

need to get the plastic piece on right side of metal lever so when you pull handle and the metal lever moves right, it pushes the plastic piece and opens door.

I did stick a large screwdriver in to the openeing to try to move the plastic lever to the other side of metal lever and was afraid I would break the plastic bit if I used too much force.

but with a combination of pulling on the outside door handle and wiggling the exposed plasic lock mechanism thats visible because the door panel is off, the plastic lever popped back in to place with relative little force.

It does seem like a design flaw to have such a set up but it is an easy fix

took about half an hour.

Everything goes back as easy as it came off so no issues there.

hardest part is removing the 4 plastic studs that hold the door panel in place without damaging the door panel with screw driver marks.
Sea Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2021, 06:55 PM   #16
Winnebago Watcher

Winnebago view door handle

Can someone help me? I’ve been reading through this feed to try to figure out how to fix my latch. I followed the steps above and have removed everything but can’t seem to figure out which white plastic piece to switch sides with the metal piece. I don’t wanna break anything. I’m a single woman trying to fix this on my own. Can someone please help me
Valerie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2021, 07:09 PM   #17
Winnie-Wise

Quote:
Originally Posted by Valerie View Post
Can someone help me? I’ve been reading through this feed to try to figure out how to fix my latch. I followed the steps above and have removed everything but can’t seem to figure out which white plastic piece to switch sides with the metal piece. I don’t wanna break anything. I’m a single woman trying to fix this on my own. Can someone please help me
I didn't write the best description. Go back to my picture. On the right hand side there a black wire cable. Follow tha to the left and your will see a darker image deep inside the door (disregard all the highly visible stuff in the picture) it is inside the dark portion of the image deep inside the door. You will see what looks like a small white piece of plastic and a small piece of metal adjacent to it. The image in the picture is how it needs to be. You need to take a screwdriver and wiggle the plastic piece into the correct position.

Hope it works. Send me a PM if you need further explanation. You could always bring to a dealer also and hopefully they can get you in.
Old 06-01-2021, 05:53 PM   #18
Winnebago Watcher

Metric?

Is that Allen head metric?
bubbasboat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2021, 06:26 AM   #19
Winnebago Watcher

Added notes

I had the same problem on a Navion 21D. A few notes to add from my experience.

- I had to replace three of the four black plastic tabs because the heads broke while pulling them out.
- I had a hard time seeing where and how to realign things. I backed out the screws that hold the mechanism on the door to loosen things up. When I did this and jiggled the door handle I heard something click into place and it started working!

Thanks for the clues on getting me started.
bubbasboat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2021, 03:16 PM   #20
Winnebago Master

While preparing to leave our RV site, as the door was being opened, the engine was also started (to pull in the slide).

Heard something pop loose inside the door when this happened - and after that, the door would not electronically lock. It would electronically unlock - and manually lock and unlock.

Was able to carefully pry off the 4 black tabs (without breaking any) and remove the handle.

A plastic peg broke off one the plastic pieces in the door lock assembly - preventing it from being electronically locked. I've contacted Lichtsinn to see if they can (quickly) send us a replacement - appears to be pretty easy to replace - removing one bolt and popping off a small rod in the assembly.

Click image for larger version

Name:	20210728_095615.jpg
Views:	109
Size:	250.5 KB
ID:	180351

I was able to thread a zip tie through the black lock piece and the hole in the white broken piece, connecting the two elements together.

And that appears to work as a temporary solution.

We've put the plastic cowel back on the door and the handle - though I'll hold off on putting the black tabs back in until we have the replacement part.

At least it's back and working again - and we should be able to use the door on the next road trip, if necessary.

[Unfortunately - we have another showstopper which is more difficult to overcome... We hit a pothole which damaged a rear outer wheel - and getting a replacement quickly is proving to be impossible - and hoping Lichtsinn can come through and get us a replacement wheel before we start our next long road trip next week...]
rprochnow is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
door