Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Winnebago Owners Online Community > WINNEBAGO FLEET | MOTORHOMES and TRAILERS > Winnebago Class A Motorhomes
Click Here to Login
Register FilesRegistry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 01-27-2024, 09:51 AM   #1
Winnebago Owner

Door wind noise/whistle 2009 Journey 39Z

I have a 2009 Journey 39Z and there is a nasty wind noise in the passenger door area. I plan on taking someone with me and some masking tape and hit the road and see if I can find the culprit. I have been in the automotive business for 35 plus years. We use the masking tape outside the MH to see if taping up seems in the a area and if the noise goes away. Then you know you fixed it. Also you use a hose like a small piece of garden hose (diameter) put to your ear. I then you move the hose around to find the area the noise is the worse.

Curious though if anyone has had a wind noise in that area and found the issue?
HollywoodGT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2024, 05:16 PM   #2
Winnebago Master

Yep; I had a lot of wind noise from the entry door. I asked an RV service manager if they could reduce/eliminate the noise. He said, yes but you aren't going to like it, so I suggest you visit our retail store until we finish.
I elected to stay and watch. First they removed the window glass, then a tech came with a 2x4 about 3' long. The measured the door for being true and found it was warped.
Then the tech put the 2x4 between frame and door at strategic places, and proceeded to shove and bend the door back straight and true. This was at the top where there isn't much metal to keep the door straight.
He said that will work for a while but every time you slam the door you're bending the top open corner open a bit. Sure enough, 6 yrs later it's making a lot of noise again and now leaks water.

I would never attempt to do that myself,
2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA 1SG, retired;PPA,Good Sam Life member,FMCA. "We the people are the rightful masters of both the Congress and the Courts - not to overthrow the Constitution but to overthrow men who pervert the Constitution." Abraham Lincoln
Ray,IN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2024, 08:48 AM   #3
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ray,IN View Post
Yep; I had a lot of wind noise from the entry door. I asked an RV service manager if they could reduce/eliminate the noise. He said, yes but you aren't going to like it, so I suggest you visit our retail store until we finish.
I elected to stay and watch. First they removed the window glass, then a tech came with a 2x4 about 3' long. The measured the door for being true and found it was warped.
Then the tech put the 2x4 between frame and door at strategic places, and proceeded to shove and bend the door back straight and true. This was at the top where there isn't much metal to keep the door straight.
He said that will work for a while but every time you slam the door you're bending the top open corner open a bit. Sure enough, 6 yrs later it's making a lot of noise again and now leaks water.

I would never attempt to do that myself,

I like this shop and this guy's way of dealing with real life! No thanks on the guy who wants to tell me a bunch of lies but never gets around to actually trying to fix things!

When they've screwed up, we need to find the true story and deal with it.
Morich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2024, 11:47 AM   #4
rightleftdyslexic

We will get a terrible noise if we don’t get the door shut tight. It makes so much noise we will stop as soon as possible to get the door shut properly.
I always worry about the wind yanking the door out of my hand and bending a hinge or torque the door frame.
Joeantolik32 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
door, journey, noise, wind noise