Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-20-2020, 09:45 AM   #1
Winnebago Camper

Replace Trimark entry door lock

I have a 2001 Class A and need to replace the entry door handle/lock. Has anyone found a key-less or key/digital combo lock that covers the old hole and uses the same cut-outs. Seems the Trimark factory lockset uses an unusually large hole. Thanks everyone in advance !
Grady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2020, 09:56 AM   #2
Site Team

To date I've not seen nor heard of a keyless system that will work on a standard Winnebago door latch from anyone.
Old 04-20-2020, 10:21 AM   #3
Winnebago Master

It's not just the size of the hole in the door. It's also the latch style. The Trimark 30-900 uses a single striker mounted on the door jamb. The latch is separate from the handle, and mounted to the door frame.

You'll find a few styles of keyless RV Locks, but none with that setup.

tderonne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2020, 09:34 AM   #4
Veteran RV Owner

I asked RV Lock (www.rvlock.com) why they didn’t have a keyless lock for Winnebagos and they replied to me that they are working on the design for one now and it would be available soon. No date given.
armullis59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2020, 02:56 PM   #5
Winnie-Wise

The P.O. of our Sunstar added a second, residential style Kwikee deadbolt to the door, and it's the only one we lock.

You could fairly easily do the same with a keyless deadbolt.
SLOweather is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2020, 03:33 PM   #6
Winnebago Owner

tri lock replacement

Seems to me I read about this in the Class A section " All Intents and purposes" Very long posts but pretty sure they did exactly what you are looking for..found it post# 426..thru Amazon but currently out of stock..
Reniram is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2020, 06:01 PM   #7
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reniram View Post
Seems to me I read about this in the Class A section " All Intents and purposes" Very long posts but pretty sure they did exactly what you are looking for..found it post# 426..thru Amazon but currently out of stock..
That's for a different style handle.

tderonne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2020, 04:50 PM   #8

What seems to be the problem with your existing Trimark lock?

* Are you sure your lock needs replacing?

* Most of the time it either needs: A) An adjustment to the nut you access on the outside edge of the door, using a thin-walled deep socket (1/4 drive ought to do it, 7/16" if I remember, but if not it could be 11MM or 12MM); or...

B) You just need to bend a little tab you access (on the outside half of the lock) after you split the Trimark lock apart...but not all the way... and then you bend the tab... as circled in the picture below.

https://www.winnieowners.com/forums/...re-330834.html

Hopefully this will fix your problems for no money and no down-time!

Secondarily, I think you are asking how to fix your Keyless Entry System (KES). And here's how you can do that.

1) Don't try to repair your old fob or RF handshake with the transmitter if replacing the battery does not work; or resetting your system does not work. ...This old system has failed in 95% of all the RV out.

2) Fortunately, you can easily replace your own KES using the Wire Conversion Chart you will find in this thread:

https://www.winnieowners.com/forums/...ue-354305.html

Note: You can re-use your oem wire harness. Just solder according to the diagram in the above link and add a few relays.

Note: I did not add a keypad, but I know you can. They don't make a lock with an integrated keypad to my knowledge, but that would be nice. Instead, you need need to cut a hole in your coach side wall and then run the "trigger wire" to the new KES system. It's not hard to run the wire, but you need to be capable of cutting a hole in the side wall without scratching the paint.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Tri-Mark 030-900 (INSIDE).jpg
Views:	222
Size:	99.4 KB
ID:	173386   Click image for larger version

Name:	20190617_203349.jpg
Views:	140
Size:	174.4 KB
ID:	173387  

Name:	20190704_203532.jpg
Views:	137
Size:	358.3 KB
ID:	173388  
imnprsd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2020, 05:08 PM   #9
2015 Itasca Spirit 27QP

I've been trying to do this for years... good luck. Hopefully someone will produce one before I move on to the afterlife. I've replaced the original latch/lock twice in the past 4 years because my door jamb has issues and flexes when I use the levelers causing the door and latch to stick sometimes. Best wishes and happy camping.
JoeC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2020, 02:00 PM   #10
Winnebago Camper

Trimark

I ordered a replacement directly from Trimark using the stamped Trimark model number and it did not work, I determined the mechanism was not engaging, I measured the old linkage and found the new one was around a 16th of and inch Shorter. I called Trimark and found out they make the same model for Winnebago but change the linkage to fit the thickness of the Winnebago door. I ended up ordering the replacement latch from Winnebago parts
LeonardoBF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2020, 02:18 PM   #11
2015 Itasca Spirit 27QP

1/16", really?

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeonardoBF View Post
I ordered a replacement directly from Trimark using the stamped Trimark model number and it did not work, I determined the mechanism was not engaging, I measured the old linkage and found the new one was around a 16th of and inch Shorter. I called Trimark and found out they make the same model for Winnebago but change the linkage to fit the thickness of the Winnebago door. I ended up ordering the replacement latch from Winnebago parts
Did you order the whole door latch assembly? There was a redesign of the assembly several years ago and parts may not be compatible new to old. I'm not sure where you lost the 1/16", but as a whole, 1/16" in an RV fit is virtual nothing.
JoeC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2020, 02:42 PM   #12
Winnebago Camper

Trimark

My bus was a 2005 38J and I replaced the whole assembly about 6 years ago. when the new assembly from Trimark was Installed the door would open from inside but not outside. After reinstalling it a number of times I started measuring to find the difference. I do not know the technical name of the part, put the gizzy that triggers the door to unlatch when you pull the outside handle was not engaging and that was the part that was too short. The same assembly from Winnebago parts worked perfect. Hopes this helps
LeonardoBF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2020, 11:02 PM   #13

Trimark will charge you $300-$400 in parts.... and most of the time you just need to know how to adjust the door nut, per the instructions above; and/or you just need to bend that "tab" so it catches on the other half of the Trimark lock.

This is a very good lock! It is very reliable and easy to maintain if you decide to fix it yourself.

95% of the time, the only reason why people replace their lock with a new Trimark (the only game in town) is because they do not know how to repair it.

The problem with order a Trimark lock is because it is very hard to know what model number you coach came with. Your Trimark model number is only found on the inside of the locking mechanism, you can only see if you split the lock apart, and even then they may not have stamped it or wrote it on the back of the lock using a magic marker. (See attached picture... where the model number is circled in red.)

So this may explain why other people have so much trouble replacing parts!

=====

As for TRASHING you old SCS-Frigette KES... do it today! Trimark has a $350-$500 solution in parts, but then you have to add 2 hours of labor to use their so called "proprietary" wire harness they claim will only work with your OEM connectors, but this is not really the case any more. Just follow the Wire Conversion Chart (found in the above link) and you will know what to do.

And the best news is that you can add a siren for another $20 and that will give you the ability to press your FOB PANIC BUTTON... which I use to scare away skunks outside my coach in the Montana backwoods.

Note: I don't know if the striker is the right picture for your lock, but it might be.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Tri-Mark Door ID Schematic.jpg
Views:	263
Size:	116.7 KB
ID:	173402   Click image for larger version

Name:	Mark's Trimark Outside Latch Markings.jpg
Views:	146
Size:	153.9 KB
ID:	173403  

Attached Images

imnprsd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2020, 07:10 PM   #14
2017 Vista 29ve

I have installed the Trimark Keyless Entry system into my 2017 Vista.
It is not a cheap unit, and requires installing a lock-actuator in the door, installing electrical contacts in the door, and a bit of wiring. The actual door handle/locking mechanism is still the same. But it is handy having the RV door act more like a car door with a FOB, and being able to lock/unlock the door from the drivers seat is nice.
The system is the same units they install in the high end diesel pushers with the keypad on the handle with a doorbell....
corvetteSS is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
ace, door, replace