Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Winnebago Owners Online Community > WINNEBAGO FLEET | MOTORHOMES and TRAILERS > Winnebago Class A Motorhomes
Click Here to Login
Register FilesRegistry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 03-04-2022, 07:29 AM   #1
Winnebago Owner

Please explain thermostat

2017 Vista 35LX with heat pumps.. at nite we close sliding door between living and bedroom, one thermostat in living room, 1 in bedroom, 1 in living room has heat pump position. Using LP at nite for heat does thermostat in bedroom actually control just heat in bedroom? Considering heater vents are not separated to do so. We just got this used unit and our old one only had 1 thermostat and no heater pumps
Quickuc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2022, 09:38 AM   #2
Site Team

I don't know about your Vista LX specifically, but in our 2017 Adventurer, the living room thermostat (there is only one thermostat with zones 1 & 2) Zone 1, the living room zone, controls the LP Furnace. The living room temp sensor (dime-sized plastic dot on a wall or cabinet) is also the one that feeds the temp to the thermostat for zone 1.

But, you can easily test this on your RV. Does your bedroom thermostat have a Gas Heat setting? Or does just the living room thermostat have such a setting? We have a Heat Elec setting on Zone 2 (the bedroom) and both Heat Elec and Heat Gas settings on Zone 1 (the living room).

I would guess that closing the sliding door between the bedroom and the living room would cause the bedroom to get very warm at night.
Old 03-04-2022, 01:01 PM   #3
Winnebago Owner

I think its safe to assume your if different than. Mine being ours has 2 thermostats.
Old 03-04-2022, 02:51 PM   #4
Site Team

I understand that you have two t-stats, but do both of them control the LP Furnace?
Old 03-04-2022, 03:31 PM   #5
Winnebago Owner

T stat

Well its our 1st trip is the vista so its a leaning trip for sure on some things. It seems that the front t stat controls off/on of both heat pumps because the rear t stat has no selection For heat pump, this I know, and they each control their own a/c. Each of them can turn on LP heater. I can only assume the front t stat dominates the temp of whole RV when LP heat is on, Thats all I know it this time, I've read that if temps drop to cold using heat pumps they turn off and some how the LP heat turns on, have yet to see that. If its that cold I'd rather not travel and stay home. But it can happen we all know.
Old 03-05-2022, 07:37 AM   #6
Winnebago Owner

Good morning. I have a 2015 Vitsta 35B which I know on my Model year is very similar to the 35F from a systems standpoint (only difference is the slightly different floorplan in the middle as we have bunks) I’m guessing that carried forward to your year.

On ours, the bedroom thermostat has 3 settings, Cool, Heat and off. The heat function is for the heat pump only, the bedroom thermostat is not tied to the furnace in any way. The midship thermostat has 4 settings, Cool, off, electric heat and gas heat. This thermostat is the only one that controls the furnace. When using the furnace we keep the pocket doors partially open to allow for better airflow or the rest of the coach gets pretty warm by the time the air hits that midship thermostat due to the layout of the floor ducts and winnie wisely not putting one near that thermostat.

Of note, I know there is some “logic” built into the heat system where if it’s trying to run the heat pump and doesn’t see enough of a temperature rise in a certain time frame (aka it’s too cold to use the heat pumps) then the system will automatically shut down the pumps and turn on the furnace. I don’t know however if the bedroom thermostat contains this logic or if it’s just the midship thermostat that is also connected to the furnace, I believe it’s the latter but haven’t tested it and it’s too cold here in VT to uncover the RV and try!

Enjoy the new coach! We’ve had ours for 3 years (we upgraded from a 2008 Sunova 35B) and have been happy with it.
Old 03-05-2022, 08:08 AM   #7
Winnebago Owner

Blastvalve, You Nailed it...That makes perfect sense...
Thank You, Our mystery is solved. Your think one of them 3 big Manuel's would tell me, or Coleman. But noo. That would be to easy.
Old 03-05-2022, 03:59 PM   #8
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quickuc View Post
Blastvalve, You Nailed it...That makes perfect sense...
Thank You, Our mystery is solved. Your think one of them 3 big Manuel's would tell me, or Coleman. But noo. That would be to easy.
Here is your brochure: https://www.winnebago.com/Files/Imag...-digital.x.pdf
With what you have learned this may fill in some more gaps
I have been on the road for about 17 years now. This is my third coach and we have been in it for several years. I'm still learning new things.
My latest discovery is detailed in "HVAC room sensor" thread.
Happy trails. Your adventure has just begun.
Rick Y
Old 03-05-2022, 08:08 PM   #9
Winnebago Owner

Glad it helped! Rick summed it up perfectly, between the manuals and the great members of this forum we can usually figure things out!

Enjoy the new ride!
Old 03-06-2022, 08:00 AM   #10
Winnebago Owner

Thanks Rick, we started the RV thing 10 years ago and this is our 5th unit, went from A to pull to C to big A to bigger A, were trying to find the one. This is the big one, thinking maybe its to big for our use, but the wife loves it, SO you know what that means..
Old 03-07-2022, 06:57 AM   #11
Winnebago Owner

Blast ! I have an update, still in TX. Outside it dropped to 30s last nite. Our unit does not have the feature saying pumps turn off when it get so cold and LP takes over. I woke up and both LP and pumps were going at same time, air out of pumps was cold, so I turned them off and let LP do its thing.
Old 03-07-2022, 11:13 AM   #12
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Blast ! I have an update, still in TX. Outside it dropped to 30s last nite. Our unit does not have the feature saying pumps turn off when it get so cold and LP takes over. I woke up and both LP and pumps were going at same time, air out of pumps was cold, so I turned them off and let LP do its thing.
It sound like the 3* differential kicked in. The heat pump could not supply heat once it dropped below 39* or so. As your set point could not be satisfied, when it got 4* cooler than it the PL furnace kicked in. At some point the heat pump would shut down. This is a cycle that need to be satisfied before the heat pump is ignored. The table should be in your coach user package.
I have upgraded to the Micro-Air EasyTouch thermostat. I can monitor my coach remotely over the internet on my phone app. Great feature.
We simply love our coach. The Journey has a 40U also. The drawback is the length. It's a bit big for some of the older parks. On the plus side, it has 6 group 31 AGM's and lots of storage room. Easy to dry camp in. The Cummins 380 HP diesel is a real work horse.

Happy trails,
Rick Y
Old 03-07-2022, 01:49 PM   #13
Winnebago Owner

Ok help me out here 3*, 4*. We talking degrees in temperature?
Old 03-07-2022, 02:04 PM   #14
Winnebago Owner

I for one think also its to big for our use, meaning maybe we travel for a few weeks at a time twice a year, rest of them time we dash to the lake or to a concert in the front range here in Colorado but never more than 3 days on those trips. Wife had to have it cuz of the bath and a half, and we know who has the BIG BATH, cant say I like the extra 4,000 pounds as we only have the Triton 10 cylinder. Never drove a pusher, but we came close when shopping for this one, I was so wanting to feel the freightliner Suspenion and turbo line 6. Oh well.
Old 03-08-2022, 06:43 AM   #15
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Ok help me out here 3*, 4*. We talking degrees in temperature?
Yes. Over the years this has become the accepted symbol on the forum.
Old 03-08-2022, 07:08 AM   #16
Winnebago Master

Quote:
I for one think also its to big for our use, meaning maybe we travel for a few weeks at a time twice a year, rest of them time we dash to the lake or to a concert in the front range here in Colorado but never more than 3 days on those trips. Wife had to have it cuz of the bath and a half, and we know who has the BIG BATH, cant say I like the extra 4,000 pounds as we only have the Triton 10 cylinder. Never drove a pusher, but we came close when shopping for this one, I was so wanting to feel the freightliner Suspenion and turbo line 6. Oh well.
Ok. Good dream. If the TV location is not a big deal, there are many smaller DPers that will give you a nice vacation home and ride getting there.
Here are a couple of Journey rigs:
https://www.winnebago.com/Files/Imag...-Digital.X.pdf
https://www.winnebago.com/Files/Imag...-digital.x.pdf
Here is the Winnebago Brochure Archive: https://www.winnebago.com/brochure-a...&model=Journey
Pick a year and explore the models. If you find a floor plan and length you like, look back a few years to find when it was introduced. Then see, here on the forum, how folks like that rig.

I don't recommend buying new. Quality control (QC) issues can ruin your first year of trying to camp. Most used rigs are in good, usable condition. On a DP, chassis lubrication, tires and air filter are on the top of the list of maintenance. Fuel filter(s) and air dryer would be next in my humble opinion (IMHO).

Happy hunting and happy trails.
Rick Y
Old 03-08-2022, 11:30 AM   #17
Winnebago Owner

Don't care to be bothered by sales people thank you
Old 03-24-2022, 01:18 PM   #18
Winnebago Owner

Quote:
Don't care to be bothered by sales people thank you
???????