Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Winnebago Owners Online Community > WINNEBAGO FLEET | MOTORHOMES and TRAILERS > Winnebago Class A Motorhomes
Click Here to Login
Register FilesRegistry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 01-15-2022, 09:19 PM   #1
Winnebago Watcher

Suspension Upgrades - 2014 Sunova 33C

I have a 2014 Itasca Sunova 33C, I added the Safe-T steering assist to the tie rods. I wanted to upgrade the front and rear stabilizer bars, anyone have experience or suggestions as to what brand is a good choice? Also what are everyone’s thoughts on sumo springs?
Subdoc58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2022, 08:20 AM   #2
Site Team

There are a lot of threads on this topic here and over on irv2.com (we are a spin-off of that forum). Stabilizer bars, also known as anti-roll bars, or even roll bars, are available from Roadmaster and Heilwig. Your rv comes stock with front and rear roll bars

If you upgrade these, for the rear an additional, thicker bar is added but for the front there isn’t room for an additional bar, so the stock bar is replaced with a thicker bar. Some people simply relocate the rear links on the existing front bar to increase roll resistance. It’s known as the CHF or cheap handling fix. Those that go this route swear it fixes everything from the way your RV handles… to the taste of instant coffee.

All these will do for you you is help with body tilt. Which is a definite plus. Sumo Springs also help with this but unlike roll bars they do stiffen the ride. Sumos are helper springs installed on your leaf springs. So they help with “wallowing” or lack of body control.

I have installed the steering stabilizer, a Roadmaster rear roll bar, new Koni FSD shocks and Sumo Springs front and rear. These have helped with body control and body tilting. Note that they have helped but haven’t “fixed” the harsh truck like ride of my RV.

I recently removed the Sumos as a test and went without them for a few thousand miles. I wanted to be sure that they helped. I found the ride less harsh but less controlled. So I reinstalled them last month. The ride is harsher that’s for sure but body control is greatly improved.

One thing you didn’t mention was adding a rear Track Bar. This helps better locate the rear axle which helps wandering. I haven’t done this but those that have swear by the improvement.

Lastly, there is a company called Liquid Spring that can fully replace the leaf springs with a fluid spring. Word is it fixes the whole suspension. Unfortunately, it cost $12,000 for each end of the RV… $24,000 to do both ends.

PS. I moved your post out of that other members year old thread on a different topic to its own new thread. It’s always best to start a new thread when you wish to discuss a new topic or ask a different question.
Old 03-25-2022, 04:22 AM   #3
Winnebago Watcher

I have a 2014 Sightseer 33C.

I weighed the coach and set the tire pressures to the recommended pressures based on my axle weight. In my case they are 75psi in front and 85psi in rear. This cost nothing, and will help with ride quality. Worth it.

I installed the Roadmaster anti sway bars in the front and rear. That really helped the sway of the coach. Worth the money.

I installed new Iconi FSD shocks. They helped a little with the ride quality, but not a big difference. Maybe worth the money.

I installed Sumo springs all wheels. Ride was stiffer. I later removed them. Not worth the money.

Bottom line, set tires pressures and install anti sway bars. Most bang for the buck .

After all that, i basically removed everything I had installed, and then I installed the Liquid Spring system on front and rear. What a difference in everything. The ride, handling, not much bump on bridges and rough roads. Rides better than most DP air ride systems. Wish I had done this first. Worth the money.

I installed all the changes myself, including the Liquid Spring system, which is a major install, took me about a week to install it. But I'm glad I did. I got quotes from several installers, including the factory. They ranged from $22k (factory) to 26k. I bought the LS kit directly from the factory for $17k.

Good luck!
glennmiller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2022, 09:05 AM   #4
Site Team

Hey Glenn, I always appreciate hearing about folks that ponied up for Liquid Springs. I'd love to be one of them but just can't justify that huge expense.

There is another similar system by Rayco Granning that uses air instead of liquid and it costs 25% less. Did you check them out before buying the LS product?
Old 03-25-2022, 10:22 AM   #5
Winnebago Watcher

Hi.

Your right. It's very expensive . But it's been interesting to try all the different suspension upgrades over the years, that people have bolted on, and get first hand knowledge of how well they really improve the ride, if any.

I did not look at the Rayco Granning system.

I bought a new 2011 Sunstar and put the Kelderman air ride system on it when I bought it. It was a very good system, and served me well. I put about 140k miles on that motorhome before trading for the current 2014 about 2 years ago.

I decided I would go with Liquid Spring because I liked the fact that it replaced all the Ford suspension, with a 4 link system that's used on DP's (and hotrods ). It's a zero resistance suspension, instead of the resistive leaf springs. That alone makes the motorhome ride and handle better. LS also replaces the need for shocks, and add on anti sway bars. So its a very simple system that should last a long time. The LS system is very well designed and overbuilt. My Motorhome is about 1000 lbs lighter with the LS system installed, and all the old leaf spring suspension removed.

No, I'm not a paid spoke person for LS. lol. I just like the products and the company. They are truly customer focused, which is very rare these days.
Old 03-25-2022, 11:17 AM   #6
Site Team

I wish the LS complete system could be had for under $10k installed. If that was the case they'd have so much business they couldn't keep up. But twice that and more...?

You know what they say about wishes: "If wishes were horses we'd all ride."
Old 03-25-2022, 12:03 PM   #7
Winnebago Watcher

I agree completely !!

They just had another price increase Jan. 2022. Cost of steel went way up, at least that's their excuse. LOL . I think they have plenty of orders, and no competition, so I don't think they'll get cheaper for awhile.

Maybe one day, someone can come up with something cheaper, that would be great.

ps. luv the horses quote ..

Tags
suspension, upgrade