Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-05-2019, 08:03 AM   #1
Winnebago Camper

Water tank leaking when full

Seems that our Navion 24D leaks water from the fresh water tank if we fill it full. Maybe splashed out of the overflow valve when driving? Goes from Full down to 2/3 without hardly being used. Any others have this issue?
KentSuz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2019, 08:26 AM   #2
Winnie-Wise

Sounds like it is siphoning from the overflow. However, driving around with a full water tank is a bit of an overloading issue anyway. Suggest you haul a 1/4 of a tank and then top off when you get to or close to your destination.
luvlabs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2019, 08:41 AM   #3
Winnebago Master

My main tank low point drain valve leaks a bit, when I first waterize things when it warms up, but haven't had your symptoms. I could replace it but it's a pita to get to, just like my propane tank.
I rarely travel with more than 2/3 of a tank of water, unless we're planning on being off grid for a few days, for hygiene stops. We're usually closer to 1/3, as luvlabs suggested.
Winterbagoal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2019, 01:17 PM   #4
Winnebago Owner

My first thought was that it's siphoning out of the overflow hose. You could check the relatively simply by crawling under to see if the inside of the overflow is wet. I assume you can easily reach this from under the coach.
My second thought was that it was sloshing out of the gravity fill, if you have one. The same check would work - does it get wet when traveling.
Next thought was sloshing out of the vent line.
Last thought was a crack or loose fitting near the top of the tank. If your tank is placed like mine, nearly impossible to see or reach, this will be the hardest thing to check.
Old 10-05-2019, 02:02 PM   #5
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Podivin View Post
My first thought was that it's siphoning out of the overflow hose. You could check the relatively simply by crawling under to see if the inside of the overflow is wet. I assume you can easily reach this from under the coach.
My second thought was that it was sloshing out of the gravity fill, if you have one. The same check would work - does it get wet when traveling.
Next thought was sloshing out of the vent line.
Last thought was a crack or loose fitting near the top of the tank. If your tank is placed like mine, nearly impossible to see or reach, this will be the hardest thing to check.
Views, Navions, and any other Sprinter based class C conversions are always weight challenged, and carrying less water is one way for us to compensate.
Winterbagoal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2019, 09:23 AM   #6
Winnie-Wise

first, the gauges are not accurate- at empty I can still have a shower with some water to spare

second, driving causes the water to slosh in the flexible tank and either pushes up the overflow or the gravity fill. I've noticed water coming out of my gravity fill with 2/3 of a tank.
Old 10-13-2019, 06:56 PM   #7
2016 View 24J Profile

Shortly after discovering this issue with my View 24J I installed a check valve in the vent line to the tank.
I also installed one in the gravity fill line to prevent water loss during travel when water would slosh out. Pretty simple fix for under $20
Old 10-14-2019, 08:33 AM   #8
Winnebago Owner

$$$ 8.34 Pounds per Gallon $$$

How do, remember that water weighs in at 8.34 pounds (3.78 kg) per gallon and since most tanks are not baffled to any great degree, the weight can also shift a bit creating some minor handling issues specially if dealing with marginal traction conditions while going around curves, the extent of which would be dependent on the axis along which the tank is installed by the pileOparts assembler. Perhaps its better to tank up with potable water when you get to the destination if its possible. Just wondering. We generally have a quarter or less in the tank when driving and a gallon per person of drinking water on board. More if traversing a desert or planning an off grid stop in both categories of water if none is available near the destination we tank up along the way.

Be safe and mindful.
Old 10-14-2019, 11:09 AM   #9
Winnebago Owner

I have a Voyage 5th wheel. Though there is a "gauge" of sorts (4 LEDs on the main panel INSIDE the unit) but it's not visible while standing outside by the water array. I've managed to drench the inside of my storage area more than once by overfilling the fresh water. This appears to be a design flaw present in a lot of Winnebago products. You have to sort of guess when the tank is full, and if you overfill it even slightly, all your internal spaces are getting a bath. I'm just glad the water didn't reach the main power banks!
golden13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2019, 05:12 PM   #10
Winnie-Wise

I installed a shut-off valve at the end of the overflow tube. This way the water cannot escape when you are traveling down the road. Just don't forget to open the valve when filling the tank.

Good luck!
Rear Trac Bar, Safe-T-Plus, and 480 watt solar system.
Rossi6998 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
leak, tank, water