Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Winnebago Owners Online Community > WINNEBAGO FLEET | MOTORHOMES and TRAILERS > Winnebago Class A Motorhomes
Click Here to Login
Register FilesRegistry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 06-13-2023, 03:43 PM   #1
Winnebago Camper

Mattress Replacement - Beds That Raise Head End

Hey, not sure how to word what I am trying to say in the title! I have a Winnebago Tour 42QD with the bed that must be pulled up and raises up the head end. My air mattress won't hold air any longer. I am wondering what people have put in to replace that which will still 'fold' when the bed is pulled up for slide retraction.

Thank you!
Orracle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2023, 06:57 PM   #2
Site Team

The wording is a Bed Tilt. And this is common on larger Winnebago motorhomes.

And, so are air mattress problems. You can either try to fix the current mattress or buy a new one. It's called an I-Deal Rest air mattress but they are out of production now. Though I think parts are available.

Here's a YouTube of someone that fixed one - I don't know if this repair applies to your issue:

There are companies that will make you a custom sized mattress for your Tour. If you have a King sized mattress in your Tour it is not a standard King size. It's narrower and shorter than a standard king.

You can buy a California King mattress and it will be the right width but too long. So, a custom mattress may be your only option. Try www.matressinsider.com to find custom RV sized Kings.

I have one of these RV Kings with a bed tilt function. I had a couple of issues with the air mattress and I pulled it out of the RV 4 years ago. I put in a California King foam mattress from www.leesa.com. It was about 2" too long so I removed the headboard and that fixed everything.

People warned that the tilt function may ruin the mattress but it has had zero effect. It works great. The Tilt has not been an issue at all and it's been 4-years.

If you get a custom made mattress you'll not have to worry about the headboard.

Here's my Lessa Mattress after I removed the headboard and installed the mattress from a Box.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	leesa2.jpg
Views:	39
Size:	279.6 KB
ID:	186334  
Old 06-14-2023, 02:01 PM   #3
Winnebago Camper

Thank you so much - great reply. I have fixed it with parts from them once before - and now it is something in the bladder itself - so really unfixable. I will be getting a custom made I think.

And yes - HEAD TILT! Could NOT come up with that!
Orracle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2023, 02:33 PM   #4
Site Team

The bladders are replaceable. Here's a link:

https://www.airbedsunlimited.com/products.php?cat=21

I have the Ideal Rest mattress that came out of my RV still. I was saving it "just in case" but after 4-years don't really need it if you want to make an offer send me a Private Message https://www.winnieowners.com/forums/...=newpm&u=40566

Tags
ace, replace, replacement