Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Winnebago Owners Online Community > WINNEBAGO FLEET | MOTORHOMES and TRAILERS > Winnebago Class A Motorhomes
Click Here to Login
Register FilesRegistry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 08-03-2023, 01:19 AM   #1
Winnebago Watcher

Extended warranty options Vista 31B?

Hi

What are some options for a good extended warranty plan?

Thanks,
Philomena
Philomena is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2023, 11:06 AM   #2
Site Team

Hi Philomena,
When you search this forum for:
you will see a plethora of Threads which you can peruse.
As for me, I would set-aside the payment(s) for such an agreement and insure myself. In other words, you only buy insurance (or extended warranties) for those things which you cannot afford out-of-pocket. I believe you will find you will be money ahead in the long run.
Welcome to the forum.
Eagle5
Old 08-03-2023, 03:10 PM   #3
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eagle5 View Post
Hi Philomena,
When you search this forum for:
you will see a plethora of Threads which you can peruse.
As for me, I would set-aside the payment(s) for such an agreement and insure myself. In other words, you only buy insurance (or extended warranties) for those things which you cannot afford out-of-pocket. I believe you will find you will be money ahead in the long run.
Welcome to the forum.
Eagle5
Exactly like buying health insurance on yourself. You are betting you'll get sick or injured and need the insurance, the Ins. company is betting you'll stay well and not need insurance.
Then there's the man on irv2.com that said he would self-insure and safe the money. Well, 4 years ago his Cummins ISX engine blew out #6 cyl. that cost $30,000 to repair, the next year it happened agian. This time Cummins chipped in $10k and he was left with the remaining $20k to pay out of pocket; $50,00 in all out of pocket.

Botom line_it's a crap shoot and how much risk you are willing to assume.
2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA 1SG, retired;PPA,Good Sam Life member,FMCA. "We the people are the rightful masters of both the Congress and the Courts - not to overthrow the Constitution but to overthrow men who pervert the Constitution." Abraham Lincoln
Ray,IN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2023, 10:34 PM   #4
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Philomena View Post
What are some options for a good extended warranty plan?
First, it’s not a warranty of any kind. It’s an insurance contract that covers repairs for specific items. The true name of the product is an Extended Service Contract.

But that aside, you can contact, a company called Wholesale Warranties, and another choice is Coach-Net (they also sell roadside assistance plans in addition to ESCs). Certainly, Good Sam sells Extended Service Contracts, even though many have unfavorable opinions of the company I have seen a few positive reviews of their ESC service.

When I got my motorhome I priced a number of plans but there were too many opportunities for claims to be denied for frivolous reasons. And lots of bureaucracy and hoops to jump through to get things fixed. So I didn’t buy one. That turned out to be a money saving choice. I did have a number of things break in the first four years, but only one of them would have been a large expense covered by the contract. So I came out far ahead by not buying one.
Old 08-04-2023, 02:36 AM   #5
Winnebago Master

When I had my 5th wheel and truck, I had GS ESC and was very happy. I had to have the whole front steering replaced and GS ESC took care of all. I will say the shop that did the repairs had to go through a few hoops to have everything covered but in the end all worked out.

Second I did make the mistake when I traded for a MH I had the dealer tack on Extended Warranty, never used but it added to the cost of unit.

Three when I got my current coach I called GS ESC and was quoted a price way to high for me to even consider. As the coach was older, like life insurance its all about age and numbers.

When or if you decide to go that route, make sure the provider will let you get the work done at the repair shop of your choice.

Last alot of folks willl say take the money you would spend very month ESC put in the bank for repairs. Thats a good plan if you can do it, I myself am not that kind of person.

Good Luck which ever way you go
be happy is offline   Reply With Quote