Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Winnebago Owners Online Community > WINNEBAGO FLEET | MOTORHOMES and TRAILERS > Winnebago Class A Motorhomes
Click Here to Login
Register FilesRegistry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 01-27-2024, 08:13 AM   #1
Winnebago Owner

B5 bio diesel for my Forza 36H?

I looked in the manuals for my Forza 36h with the 340 hp cummins isb 6.7, and it recommended top tier fuel. I know in my cummins pickup 6.7 I can run up to 20%.
What fuel should I NOT use? I've been to truck stops where all they had was bio fuel.
Have you run bio fuel in your motorhome? If so tell me about your experience. Thx.
Snipechief is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2024, 10:07 AM   #2
Winnebago Watcher

I have run Bio fuel in my 2014 Tour without a noticeable difference in performance or any other issue. Sometimes it is unavoidable.
dtrower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2024, 10:32 AM   #3
Winnebago Owner

Thanks.
Old 01-27-2024, 01:40 PM   #4
Winnebago Master

If you are forced to buy B20 and you burn it right away I don't think you'll have any issues, it's when people fill up with B20 and then store the rig that can be an issue. From what I understand since the biodiesel tends to attract moisture this allows for a greater possibility of microbial growth in the tank and fuel system. So use top tier definitely when you don't plan to be burning it soon.

ULSD may contain up to 5% bio and is approved by all diesel engine manufacturers.
Old 01-27-2024, 01:50 PM   #5
Winnebago Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigb View Post
If you are forced to buy B20 and you burn it right away I don't think you'll have any issues, it's when people fill up with B20 and then store the rig that can be an issue. From what I understand since the biodiesel tends to attract moisture this allows for a greater possibility of microbial growth in the tank and fuel system. So use top tier definitely when you don't plan to be burning it soon.

ULSD may contain up to 5% bio and is approved by all diesel engine manufacturers.

Ok, thanks. I guess I won't worry about it. I know your supposed to change fuel filters more often if you use Bio diesel.
Old 01-27-2024, 01:55 PM   #6
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snipechief View Post
Ok, thanks. I guess I won't worry about it. I know your supposed to change fuel filters more often if you use Bio diesel.
Yes, and some manufacturers, like Mercedes, also recommend frequent oil checking and more frequent oil changing if using biodiesel.
Old 01-27-2024, 03:46 PM   #7
Winnebago Master

You cannot purchase diesel fuel that has no biodiesel blended in, biodiesel is used to replace the lost lubricity during the refining process that removes sulfur.
There are other additives and they all cost more and are less effective than biodiesel.
If anyone tells you their diesel fuel does not contain biodiesel, ask what additive is added to replace that lost lubricity.
I have a 1999 Cummins ISC that runs well on all blends up to B20.
This is much ado about nothing IMO, just like when unleaded gasoline appeared in the 1970's.
My MH sat for a year with 1/4 tank of biodiesel, tho I did add BioBor additive when I found out it was going to sit for a long period.. It ran fine when I started it and has ever since.
2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA 1SG, retired;PPA,Good Sam Life member,FMCA. "We the people are the rightful masters of both the Congress and the Courts - not to overthrow the Constitution but to overthrow men who pervert the Constitution." Abraham Lincoln
Ray,IN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2024, 04:01 AM   #8
Dream Big, Work Smart !

This is a Great topic !

I am of the understanding that Bio-Diesel is manufactured for Waste Vegetable Oil (WVO), and the best WVO is Canola !

As for New Canola Oil a rapeseed oil expressed from the seeds of several cultivars of Canola, widely used as a cooking oil.

However, I have used WVO I sucked from Kitchen Oil Dump & passed it through a 2micron Marine Filter & put 20% into my Diesel 4X4WD & Forklift Engine & used it in the Forklift as Hydraulic Oil, with No ill effects.

There has been a Lot of conversation on simply Using New 100% Canola Oil as a Lubricant.

I have Lab tests that show that New Canola Oil has Better lubricating properties than ANY Petrochemical or Synthetic Oils on the Market !
I have documents on this if anyone wants them ?

I have only dabbled on the outer fringes of the of WVO,
However, America appears big in the uptake, and it appears the only real problem with using WVO is Cold Weather conditions (as it gets thick), as well as Not filtering WVO to at lease 2 micron.

I built my own 2micron Filter System that fits inside an old plastic Army Case & put wheels on it, it cost me approx. US$400 (AU$600) for the Army Case, 12V Pump Oil & Marine Filter housing, hoses & fittings.
Old 02-01-2024, 02:05 PM   #9
Winnebago Master

You might find this interesting too: https://afdc.energy.gov/files/u/publication/fuel_comparison_chart.pdf and https://www.tdiclub.com/articles/Diesel_Fuel_Guidlines/

The vast majority of bio-diesel in the U.S.A. is made from soybeans and corn. Waste vegetable oil is not available in enough quantity to be used commercially.
2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA 1SG, retired;PPA,Good Sam Life member,FMCA. "We the people are the rightful masters of both the Congress and the Courts - not to overthrow the Constitution but to overthrow men who pervert the Constitution." Abraham Lincoln
Ray,IN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2024, 02:55 PM   #10
Dream Big, Work Smart !

Thanks for those links.

These are the Papers I was sent from a customer that operates all his vehicles on 100% Canola Oil as a Lubricant, that they purchase from the supermarket.

See attached Documents on High Performance 4-Cycle Lubricants from Canola;

Tags
diesel