Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Winnebago Owners Online Community > WINNEBAGO TECH & TOW > Electrical | Charging, Solar and Electronics
Click Here to Login
Register FilesRegistry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 02-04-2024, 03:37 PM   #1
Winnebago Camper

What does this fuse protect? 2014 View

2014 Winnebago View. Can anyone tell me the purpose of this fuse? I have an E05/OL code on my inverter. On another thread a member reported that he had the same code on his inverter and it turned out that this fuse was blown.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2486.jpg
Views:	26
Size:	379.5 KB
ID:	188307  
Robwid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2024, 04:22 PM   #2
Site Team

Everything.

That's the short answer. But it's the entire 12v house load/battery fuse.
Old 02-04-2024, 06:16 PM   #3
Winnebago Master

I see this as being slightly different due to the way it is labeled in drawings at different points.
The parts drawing is and interactive deal which we can use to look for parts and ID them
Click this snip for better view!

Name:	401.jpg
Views:	36
Size:	201.5 KB
ID:	188312from this, I see it as being part of a feature code/ option 401 . I would infer that option 401 is an inverter option?
Info from this set of drawings:
https://catalog3d.winnebagoind.com/menu/Parts.htm
Drilling down to this set for the chassis drawings:
https://www.winnieowners.com/forums/...2&d=1707094891

Then I looked at the chassis electrical drawings for more indepth info and go this:

Name:	401-2.jpg
Views:	18
Size:	265.0 KB
ID:	188313

I read it again as option 401 and it is marked as inverter! They use a "code" for battery cables to help sort where each might go! The code is marked on the battery cables as tape near the ends, using this ID chart? But inverter is a somewhat "newish
" thing and this chart doesn't show the orange color, even though it may/may not be marked on your cables?

Name:	battery cable ID.jpg
Views:	14
Size:	31.0 KB
ID:	188314

If you have a page or two of the build sheet that lists the options for your specific RV as built, you may spot an option 401 that will tell you more about it?
But until finding different, I would go with this feeding to/from the inverter!
One way to check , even without meters to test is to put a small gauge wire across the gap of the fuse and see if the inverter jumps into operation!
Be aware that this has some hazard as the wire being too small may mean it draws too much current and the wire heats way too fast.
I recommend NOT holding it with fingers but just long enough to test that the inverter is now working.
Small wire may heat too fast but using too big may let some failure like a dead short in the inverter draw enough current to be a hazard!
I tend to lean toward letting it get hot rather than risk doing real damage on further into the RV!!!!
I recommend NIETHER for long term!

Small point on the way things are done at different times? Winnebago has had different names, done by different folks at different times. One of those is the name of the converter and inverter. Normal is a converter uses 110aC to make 12VDC, Charger is sometimes the same thing!
Inverter is the gizmo which uses 12VDC battery to make 110AC or just the opposite of converters!
First we had converters and then they started adding stand alone items as inverters. Gradually they moved to converters with inverters built in and called them different names like converter, converter inverter or at times they really messed with our mind and called them simply inverter, even though they had a charging function which we would have called a converter!
Kinda/sorta the same field but different names?
Morich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2024, 06:39 PM   #4
Winnebago Master

Looking closer, I see a stand alone 1000Watt inverter in this location? First compartment to rear from steps?

Name:	inverter.jpg
Views:	13
Size:	72.4 KB
ID:	188315

Name:	inverter2.jpg
Views:	15
Size:	89.6 KB
ID:	188316

Something to be aware of if inverter trouble is that there is a GFCI outlet on the front of the inverter and they can sometimes trip easier that we might like, so often worth a look?

Name:	gfci3.jpg
Views:	14
Size:	83.6 KB
ID:	188317
Old 02-04-2024, 07:05 PM   #5
Winnebago Master

Richard is right again. That is a 150ADC replaceable fuse protecting the inverter from burning down if it develops a direct short to ground..
2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA 1SG, retired;PPA,Good Sam Life member,FMCA. "We the people are the rightful masters of both the Congress and the Courts - not to overthrow the Constitution but to overthrow men who pervert the Constitution." Abraham Lincoln
Ray,IN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2024, 07:50 PM   #6
Winnebago Camper

Richard, thanks for the thorough response and advice! You are absolutely right that my inverter is coded 401 on the build sheet. I’ll check the GFI first and then mess with the fuse. If I’m very lucky it will be one of those!
Robwid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2024, 08:19 AM   #7
Site Team

Sorry I got that so wrong. I have one of those and always “assumed” it was a master fuse link. It never occurred to me to look it up. But knowing that it is inverter specific actually tells me more about my battery compartment wiring than I knew before.

Thanks
Old 02-05-2024, 09:58 AM   #8
Winnebago Master

Sorry, but I may be throwing more Confusion than clearing!
Looking at the 2017 Adventurer, I see quite a bit different than the 2014 View of the question!

The 2017 Adventurer is a bit newer as well as a bit bigger, so has several more features as well as two different builds for that year! One first thing to mention is that the 2017 has the combined inverter charger (at least on one build for that year?) so the mega fuses are likely to have different uses and before saying what each fuse on each RV might do, I would want to check for that model as well as the correct build as even the battery locations seemed to be changing.
Quite possible you were correct that on your RV, that mega fuse may do both operations as the unit may be a combined charger as well as inverter??
Click this snip for better view!
One model and build of the 2017 Adventurer without considering early or late build and if there may be a difference?

Name:	2017.jpg
Views:	12
Size:	167.3 KB
ID:	188320

My thought is that a single mega fuse between the batteries and the unit may cut off both charging as well as the discharging when we use the inverter???
Knowing which RV is critical as they make so many small changes like what inverter versus an inverter charger?
To lessen the chance of my mind burning out, I tend to think in less " techie" terms and think of the inverter charger being both and in as well as out path, while the converter, I tend to think of as a one way path in from the converter!
While not technically totally correct, it lessens my brain strain! Works for me unless I then get into how we get power from the batteries back to the load center where the converter is built in the back!

I KNOW it has to get back there but it's easier to ignore the question until needed!

That's where a repair guy who is standing looking at the RV has a real advantage! He can look at the drawings AND the RV to get any of those questions worked out when he gets to that spot!

I know Creative is only 50-60 miles South at times, but I still can't see his RV!
Old 02-12-2024, 12:06 PM   #9
Winnie-Wise

Just as a point of information, on our 2014, the GFCI on the end of the inverter kept tripping (don't remember the code) and it's the first in line of four protected receptacles. Of course once it tripped, I lost the other protected receptacles.

It was extremely hard to get to due to placement in the compartment so I ultimately ended up just eliminating it.

Never had a problem since then.

Good luck

Thanks once again to Morich for the great info and drawings!

Tags
fuse, view