Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-27-2007, 03:43 AM   #1
Winnebago Camper

Has anyone used this cover between the motorhome and car? A similiar one is made by Blue Ox. With the rear generator exhaust I wonder if it's okay to use.
jm828 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2007, 03:43 AM   #2
Winnebago Camper

Has anyone used this cover between the motorhome and car? A similiar one is made by Blue Ox. With the rear generator exhaust I wonder if it's okay to use.
jm828 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2007, 05:03 AM   #3
Winnie-Wise

I don't think it would be a problem. The exhaust doesn't get that hot. We carry our bikes on a bike rack and the exhaust is 6 inches from one tire and never had a problem. The cover would be 2 to 3 plus feet away.
Trek-Cyclist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2007, 08:29 AM   #4
Winnie-Wise

jm828: You didn't specify your type of motorhome. I called Blue Ox( I use the Blue Ox Alexus Tow Bar) and because I have a rear dump diesel exhaust they didn't recommend their Protect-a-Tow product because the cover is too close to the exhaust. I did go with the Coastline Cover Company (coastlinecover.com) tow cover that covers the front and windshield of my truck. I've been happy with that.
Gary CA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2007, 09:27 AM   #5
Winnie-Wise

Hi JM, I've used the protect-a-tow on my last 2 MH. They are both gassers. I found that it does a good job of protecting nose of toad.

The only problem I've had is if rocks acumalate on the the protact-a-tow and then you speed up the protecter acts like a trampolin and kicks the rocks up. I have various dents on the hood. You have to stop and pick the rocks off. Other than that it's great with good customer support.
Fakrwee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2007, 11:48 AM   #6
Winnie-Wise

JM828
I have an Ultraguard. It's giant mudflap that goes the full width of the coach. We've logged 10,000 miles towing our 2007 Saturn and did not get a scratch, ding, speck of road tar or lane marking paint on the car. The side of the Ultraguard that faces the rear wheels has a lot of yellow paint on it from when I had to cross freshly painted road markings. Yet not one spot on the toad. I highly recommend the Ultraguard.
ChasA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2007, 03:49 AM   #7
Winnebago Master

ChasA: Concur with your post completely.I tried several systems to keep crap off my toad. The Ultraguard has been the best answer. Yes, I get dust and road grim on the toad, but no serious dings, scratches or anything else. It kept one rubber alligator from destroying the front end of the toad on one occasion. I found that about half way between the duals and the bumper of the coach was about right.
Izzyblueye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2007, 09:49 AM   #8
Winnie-Wise

A word of caution with the mudflaps. They are great for highway and street driving. If you are going to drive on dirt roads beware. The mudflap acts as a shovel. It's better to take it off.

I saw a DP towing a Hummer on the Cassiar Hwy. in Alaska with the low mudflaps. When he finished the Hummer had both headlights busted and front grill pitted. He was also going too fast.

The first thing the caravan trail bosses do when travelling thru Alaska is take off everyones Mudflaps.

They are great but think on how and when you are going to use it.
Fakrwee is offline   Reply With Quote