Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Winnebago Owners Online Community > WINNEBAGO TECH & TOW > Electrical | Charging, Solar and Electronics
Click Here to Login
Register FilesRegistry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 02-07-2024, 10:43 PM   #1
Winnebago Camper

Red light flashing on kitchen GFCI outlet

The outlet by the stove started blinking red a week ago, at the time I was boondocking so it didnt make much sense (when generator running), I dont even think I've ever used the outlet either. Ive since been to a couple parks and it blinks when plugged in too. Ive hit the reset buttons, no difference.
Old 02-07-2024, 10:56 PM   #2
Proud “No Intent” Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by FT RV View Post
The outlet by the stove started blinking red a week ago, at the time I was boondocking so it didnt make much sense (when generator running), I dont even think I've ever used the outlet either. Ive since been to a couple parks and it blinks when plugged in too. Ive hit the reset buttons, no difference.
Is this a GFCI Outlet you’re speaking of with the red light? Perhaps it’s as simple as the LED bulb in the outlet is faulty?
Old 02-07-2024, 11:21 PM   #3
Winnebago Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wyatt View Post
Is this a GFCI Outlet you’re speaking of with the red light? Perhaps it’s as simple as the LED bulb in the outlet is faulty?

The outlet no longer works (just checked) so its something
Old 02-08-2024, 01:34 AM   #4
Proud “No Intent” Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by FT RV View Post
The outlet no longer works (just checked) so its something
Then a bad GFCI? You didn’t mention if that’s the outlet you have…
Wyatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2024, 03:33 AM   #5
Winnebago Master

From the other posts I would say the GFCI outlet is bad. If so do any other outlets not work? If its a GFCI you should have other outlets not working.
be happy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2024, 08:14 AM   #6
Site Team

The outlet near the kitchen is a GFCI and it is live on shore power and generator. It should show a green light when powered and a red light when tripped. It could be a bad receptacle or some short to ground somewhere on that line.
Old 02-08-2024, 08:48 AM   #7
Winnebago Master

GFCI's manufactured after June, 2015 are required to be self testing and when the self test fails they are required to lock out the power. The blinking red LED indicates "end of life" as it has failed it's self test, at least on the Legrand model that I am familiar with. It does not necessarily mean it failed due to age, a surge can take them out as well. I installed hundreds of the Legrand models between late 2015 and 2020 and I only know of 2 that failed in that manner, one was in a kitchen and the other was outside in a landscape. They both failed in less than a year, and displayed the blinking red LED.

Some brands (Leviton)will display a green LED when powered on, correctly wired and grounded, Legrand (except hospital grade) does not display anything when powered on, correctly wired and grounded, it displays solid red when tripped and blinking red when failed. (The newer Levitons could show red when tripped and possibly red flashing when failed)
Old 02-08-2024, 12:09 PM   #8
Proud “No Intent” Owner

Interesting. I never knew they would blink when going bad good to know!
Old 02-08-2024, 05:58 PM   #9
Winnebago Master

Isn't it nice having our own forum professional electrician!
2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA 1SG, retired;PPA,Good Sam Life member,FMCA. "We the people are the rightful masters of both the Congress and the Courts - not to overthrow the Constitution but to overthrow men who pervert the Constitution." Abraham Lincoln
Ray,IN is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2024, 07:55 AM   #10
Winnebago Master

I did a little research and read that on some brands the red LED blinks slowly when the device is working as designed, and blinks fast at end of life. Others have a red LED that glows steady when tripped, stays off when working as designed and blinks at end of life. Still others have a green only that stays lit when powered up and grounded, and some have both a green and a red. Bottom line is you need to know what brand you have in order to be sure what the lights are telling you.

For years the Leviton brand always had those red and black buttons which is one reason I chose Legrand (Pass & Seymour) and never looked back. Although now Leviton offers them with all one color faces and buttons. The red and black buttons are OK in a shop but not in a custom kitchen.

Tags
light