Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 12-09-2022, 08:57 AM   #1
Winnebago Owner

What converter/charger in 2003 Minnie?

I have a 2003 Minnie, I haven't found the model number of the converter charger I have in my Minnie. It is a bit away from me in storage so I don't have it accessable to go pull it out. I was wondering if anyone knew what was stock? I am pretty sure it won't work with Lithium batteries.

What converter chargers have people upgraded theirs with?
Mashmaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2022, 09:49 AM   #2
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mashmaster View Post
I am pretty sure it won't work with Lithium batteries.
You can be absolutely positive that a Converter/charger installed in a 20-year old Class C motorhome is not Lithium enabled. In fact, until you figure out what model you have your converter may not even be a smart charger with anything other than a simple flooded lead acid charging profile.

Some Winnebago motorhomes come with a sheet of paper that lists all the equipment installed at the factory that includes the model and serial numbers of those items. I say this because my 2017 Adventurer came with such documentation. But I haven't a clue if your 2003 Minnie came with such a listing and if it did if you have it handy.

You will likely have to go to where your RV is in storage and look at the labeling in the door of the power center to know what Converter/Charger you have installed.
Old 12-09-2022, 09:52 AM   #3
Winnebago Master

Morning, sir!
Not talked in a while. But maybe I can shed some light on what you have?

Looking at the parts lists for that pre 2010 age group, we don't get the best interactive stuff with nice pictures but more of a simple list style. But we can drag up some info that we can relate to other sources of info.
The main parts list for your RV is here:
https://www.winnebago.com/Files/File...GO/3wf331c.pdf

And if we drag down to about page 78, we get the info on the converter with parts number!
That age group was where it was in transition as all things electrical do. There was the converter, which was built as part of the load center and breakers. Then there was a small inverter added for really small uses like powering a cell phone charger, etc. Maybe a really small TV? The inverter was only 130 watts, so two 60 watt bulbs! Inverter was often hidden in some cabinet, possibly behind the TV or whatever outlet they served.

But the converter is built as part of the whole load center and not a stand alone item that makes change easy. It is normally high enough output to do what we need at 45 amp but not a terribly precise thing for maintaining the batteries as it tended to run too high voltage and try to boil the water off on batteries.

Not the nice charging with several stages and auto regulation that newer chargers might have.
To get a better picture, I used the part number 083208-02 to do a search and found that charger type was used for years and years with only slight changes made giving different last two digits like -07. That leaves us not quite sure exactly which model might be on your RV but mostly the same??

For pictures, I went to a 2011 model where we can use the interactive parts and got this look at the basic converter/ load center you likely have.
It seems to be a 45 amp converter for many, many years.

Click these snips to get a better view?
Front view
Click image for larger version

Name:	conv.jpg
Views:	27
Size:	26.8 KB
ID:	184770

Back view with fan for cooling the converter showing it to be in the lower section but built together as a single unit with the breakers.
Click image for larger version

Name:	conv 1.jpg
Views:	24
Size:	25.4 KB
ID:	184771

I've never got into changing the converter but it would seem to be a bit of job as one would have to add a newer issue, remove the cables from the old and rewire tot he new both on input from the AC supply and the output to the breakers and batteries.
Could be done but quite a challenge?

For normal use, the converter seemed okay and I never used it enough for storage to make me want to change it.
My easy out for storage was to turn off the converter and just use a newer design portable charger that does have the stages. Most of the time I let the converter get the batteries back to ful charge as we unloaded and then killed it an added a tiny little trickle charger to cover for the safety items and normal voltage loss while storing.
Morich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2022, 09:53 AM   #4
Winnebago Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by creativepart View Post
You can be absolutely positive that a Converter/charger installed in a 20-year old Class C motorhome is not Lithium enabled. In fact, until you figure out what model you have your converter may not even be a smart charger with anything other than a simple flooded lead acid charging profile.

Some Winnebago motorhomes come with a sheet of paper that lists all the equipment installed at the factory that includes the model and serial numbers of those items. I say this because my 2017 Adventurer came with such documentation. But I haven't a clue if your 2003 Minnie came with such a listing and if it did if you have it handy.

You will likely have to go to where your RV is in storage and look at the labeling in the door of the power center to know what Converter/Charger you have installed.
Is it "Control Center"? I have that paper. If it is control center, then it says it is a Magnetek model 7345
Old 12-09-2022, 10:28 AM   #5
Site Team

Quote:
Is it "Control Center"? I have that paper. If it is control center, then it says it is a Magnetek model 7345
Yep... that's it. Sometimes called the Power Center or Control Center. Unsurprisingly, that Converter/Charger is discontinued. But you can replace it with newer units of similar output.

Looking at that unit online there are places selling just the "converter/charger" section as a replacement for the 7345 - so perhaps you can change out just the bottom and not have to mess with the 110v and 12v breakers/fuses and wiring. I don't have first hand knowledge if this is the case but searching for Magnetek model 7345 comes up with a number of newer Converters with smart charging capabilities. You'd have to look further to see if any have Lithium capable upgrades.
Old 12-09-2022, 11:14 AM   #6
Winnebago Owner

OK, looks like the replacement would be the Progressive PD4645 https://www.progressivedyn.com/pd4600-converter/ , that page says it will work with LiFePO4 batteries . The page on etrailer says it won't , I am believing the first page rather than this one: https://www.etrailer.com/p-PD4645V.h...ll-description
Old 12-09-2022, 12:15 PM   #7
Site Team

Quote:
OK, looks like the replacement would be the Progressive PD4645 https://www.progressivedyn.com/pd4600-converter/ , that page says it will work with LiFePO4 batteries . The page on etrailer says it won't , I am believing the first page rather than this one: https://www.etrailer.com/p-PD4645V.h...ll-description
Some models of these have a Charge Wizard circuitry that can require a "remote pendent" so that you can set it for Lithium batteries. And if you don't buy the pendent you can't make it Lithium capable.

They do sell a specific Lithium model, thr 4645LI but that ONLY works with Lithium batteries. Probably not what you want.

That sale page is pretty confusing. I'd call them and do some checking to insure you don't get the wrong model. Getting the wrong one is easy to do and we've seen others make that mistake.
Old 12-09-2022, 02:20 PM   #8
Winnebago Owner

Called progressive and they said the pd4645v will work for lithium, it is a jumper on the board and to call them if I have questions on how to install it. Great customer service
Old 12-09-2022, 02:52 PM   #9
Site Team

Quote:
Called progressive and they said the pd4645v will work for lithium, it is a jumper on the board and to call them if I have questions on how to install it. Great customer service
Good deal. Hopefully, it will all go easy peasy.
Old 12-14-2022, 09:12 PM   #10
1996 Itasca 29Q

I replaced mine with a multi stage unit and it fit like an OEM product, mine came with a new DC fuse panel.
Bobn1957 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
converter