Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Winnebago Owners Online Community > WINNEBAGO TECH & TOW > Electrical | Charging, Solar and Electronics
Click Here to Login
Register FilesRegistry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 01-04-2014, 04:45 PM   #1
Site Team

Do I have a multi-stage converter/charger?

Have a 2013 Itasca Sunstar 26HE. Here is what the manual says about the converter/charger. If I leave the RV plugged into an electrical outlet for extended periods...say 1 to 2 weeks, will it overcharge the battery, or will the "trickle" charge just keep it topped off? Thanks!

Charging Section
The Converter charges house batteries while
120-volt external power is connected. The
Converter will automatically “sense” the
condition of the battery. If it is below “full
charge”, the Charging Section will start charging
the batteries.
If the house batteries have been extremely
discharged, they will accept charge at a relatively
high amperage rate. If they are only slightly
discharged, they will charge at a lower amperage
rate. The rate of charge will decrease as the
batteries reach “full charge”, then will continue
“trickle” charging at a very low amperage rate. If
your battery does not charge as described above,
it is possible the battery is defective.
macnut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2014, 04:48 PM   #2
Winnie-Wise

It will not over charge them. I've always kept my MH plugged in for months at a time.

Cliff,Tallulah and Buddy ( 1999-2012 )
Clifftall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2014, 06:41 PM   #3
Site Team

Great to hear! Thanks!
Old 01-04-2014, 06:56 PM   #4
KIX
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by macnut View Post
If the house batteries have been extremely
discharged, they will accept charge at a relatively
high amperage rate. If they are only slightly
discharged, they will charge at a lower amperage
rate. The rate of charge will decrease as the
batteries reach “full charge”, then will continue
“trickle” charging at a very low amperage rate. If
your battery does not charge as described above,
it is possible the battery is defective.
Sounds like a 3 stage charger to me as stated in the quote from the OP, above.
Old 01-04-2014, 07:49 PM   #5
Winnebago Camper

There is only one way to know, OK two what is the make and model number of the converter it is part of the power center. If you are serious buy a battery monitor Trimetric or Victron
Shadowcatche is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2014, 04:29 AM   #6
Winnebago Master

Trickle chargers can still overcharge your batteries it has to go into float charge mode to be safe to leave on all the time.

Make and model will be required to truely determine if yours goes into float mode once the batteries are fully charged.
Old 01-05-2014, 05:59 AM   #7
Winnebago Owner

Keep in mind the charger may not charge the chassis battery if that is a concern for you.

Fran
Rockwood27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2014, 08:24 AM   #8
Winnebago Camper

I personally wouldn't recommend leaving your RV plugged into shore power for a long duration (i.e. winter storage, etc.) unless you have a specific need for power usage inside the unit. You are putting unnecessary wear and tear on your converter.

Purchase two Battery Tenders, one for your chassis battery and one for your RV batteries. Make sure you use a battery disconnect for both to eliminate unnecessary power draw. The LEDs on the Battery Tender allow you determine the charge state of your batteries.

Battery Tender Plus and a battery disconnect run about ~$55 and are much cheaper to replace in the event of a failure.
StringFellow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2014, 12:05 PM   #9
Site Team

Thanks, everyone for your advice and ideas. I will check the make and model during my next trip and also check into a battery tender.
Old 01-05-2014, 12:48 PM   #10
Winnebago Master

Macnut, you have a single stage charger. The below link is to a thread about a year ago with some good info on converter/chargers. The 2013 24G has the same converter/charger until as you have.
http://www.irv2.com/forums/f101/inst...ew-149192.html
grtharris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2014, 12:56 PM   #11
Winnebago Master

IN years long gone they made some really bad single stage stuff that killed batteries in less time than it takes to type about it.

But given the Motor home you have and the fact it is a 2013.. You have much better hardware.

NOW: if you want to be 1,000 percent sure,,, Find the converter (NOTE< in some cases it is also the power distribution box) and tell us the make and model of same.

Progressive Dynamics 9200 (or 9100 with a dongle plugged in that has a picture of a man in wizard's garb on it) Better than that it does not get.

Parallex 7300.. This is a single stage (Power distribution center/converter interegrated assembly) and about the lowest they make now days.

Most others .. Closer to the 9200 then the 7300.. Epically in a motor home.
Old 01-05-2014, 01:14 PM   #12
Winnebago Camper

Quote:
Thanks, everyone for your advice and ideas. I will check the make and model during my next trip and also check into a battery tender.
I have pretty much the same model as yours, 2013 37F Adventurer and it is a year old now. It has been plugged in to 50 amp at my barn the entire time. The batteries have not used any water (chassis or house). So the charging system is apparently very good. If you have a Progressive (or other line monitor) you can monitor the amp draw. I have not used an external charger once. As far as affecting durability of the converter, I guess I can't know for sure, so can't comment. Most electrical components seem to have longevity based on what part of the bell curve they occupy. Not trying to influence your decision, but I am pleased with the components provided by Winnebago so far.

Your individual motorhome VIN here:

http://dealer.winnebagoind.com/unitsearch/parts.htm

Add the last 5 of the Winnebago VIN
khogle2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2014, 10:00 PM   #13
Winnebago Master

The average temperature where you live will also have a bearing on this. For example Michigan with an average of 44.4F may allow a marginal charger to get by that would boil batteries dry in a State like Florida with an average of 70.7F. We have a lot of visitors here that find out once they get here that what was good in the 12 coldest Sates does not work out as well in one of the 12 hottest states. The 2001 Magnatec in my coach was death to batteries here in Florida while the 2012 Progressive with the Charge Wizard that I upgraded too is much better. Still it gets hot enough in the summer here to dry out a battery in a few months regardless of being on a charger or not.
Old 01-05-2014, 11:05 PM   #14
Site Team

Thanks for the tip on getting the parts list from Winnebago for my specific coach! Here's the part, I think...
CONTROL CENTER - 55 AMP - 120V/12V 178532-01-01A
However, it does not include the make or model, so I will see if I can find it...under the stove, I think, or call Winnebago with this info, otherwise.
Great to hear your charger works great. The Adventurer is likely my next coach, if not a Joirney.
Al
Old 01-06-2014, 03:10 AM   #15
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Thanks for the tip on getting the parts list from Winnebago for my specific coach! Here's the part, I think...
CONTROL CENTER - 55 AMP - 120V/12V 178532-01-01A
However, it does not include the make or model, so I will see if I can find it...under the stove, I think, or call Winnebago with this info, otherwise.
Great to hear your charger works great. The Adventurer is likely my next coach, if not a Joirney.
Al
With your coach you should have received a Motor Home Component Information sheet or the equivalent. There should be one in the Winnebago Black Bag and another glued to the wall in a closet or cabinet.

That document should have the make, model and serial numbers of most items in your coach including the keys, tires, locks, radio, all appliances, awnings and slide toppers. It also includes all the weights and capacities along with its official date of birth down to the second when the document was finalized and printed with all the options set down for the coach.

Mine is dated 07-05-01 / 11:44:43

The converter on mine is listed as a Magnatek Model #7445 with the serial number just over 100 so it was a fairley recent model when it was made.
Old 01-07-2014, 06:23 AM   #16
Winnebago Camper

Here is the wiring drawing http://www.winnebagoind.com/diagram/...ire_178756.pdf and here is where you find the parts Parts Catalog and if that fails call them! Form factor and other information leads me to think it is a Parallax an example of cheaping out. Winnebago used to use Progressive Dynamics and you can convert to that. Parallax does not publish specifications (always suspicious) and appears to probably be a two stage, boost and who knows what. They have a ver poor reputation and if you search Parallax or Magnitec problems you will see many examples. Batteries are expensive and if it were me I would upgrade to a Progressive Dynamics head unit.
Shadowcatche is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2014, 01:24 PM   #17
Site Team

Thanks for all the replies and suggestions! Here's a photo of the converter. It's a Schumacher Electric 55 amp charger, model RVCDP55.
I could find no info on the Schumacher web site, so I emailed Winnebago for for more info.
Old 01-08-2014, 01:27 PM   #18
Site Team

Oops...here's the photo
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image-2974919055.jpg
Views:	433
Size:	479.0 KB
ID:	53518  
Old 01-08-2014, 04:18 PM   #19
Winnebago Master

Charger/Converter

macnut, Below are the drawings of your CONTROL CENTER-55A,120V/12V.
About a year ago I was helping LBEE with about the same question.
I send an email to Schumacher about there Control Center, they said:

Listed below are the specifications that we have available on this charger. This is in fact a 3 stage charger, the bulk, absorption, and float. For further information on this charger you would need to contact Winnebago.

VOLTAGE LIMITS
WITHOUT LOAD: 13.6 VDC MIN / 14.1 VDC MAS
WITH LOAD OF 55 AMPS DC: 12.9 VDC MIN / 13.1 VDC MAX

Just to check I send a note to my friend at Winnebago.
"According to our Electrical Engineer, it is only a single stag charger"

Again check out the thread I referenced in an earlier post.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Schumacker  1.jpg
Views:	454
Size:	94.1 KB
ID:	53533   Click image for larger version

Name:	Schumacker  2.jpg
Views:	526
Size:	107.0 KB
ID:	53534  

grtharris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2014, 08:36 PM   #20
Winnebago Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by grtharris View Post
macnut, Below are the drawings of your CONTROL CENTER-55A,120V/12V. About a year ago I was helping LBEE with about the same question. I send an email to Schumacher about there Control Center, they said: Listed below are the specifications that we have available on this charger. This is in fact a 3 stage charger, the bulk, absorption, and float. For further information on this charger you would need to contact Winnebago. VOLTAGE LIMITS WITHOUT LOAD: 13.6 VDC MIN / 14.1 VDC MAS WITH LOAD OF 55 AMPS DC: 12.9 VDC MIN / 13.1 VDC MAX Just to check I send a note to my friend at Winnebago. "According to our Electrical Engineer, it is only a single stag charger" Again check out the thread I referenced in an earlier post.
Thanks very much for your research. This is good information. Knowing this, what is the advantage of changing the converter to some other model as described in your older thread? Mine seems to work very well as I have monitored it over the last year, single stage or otherwise. When I monitor amp draw at the 50 amp plug in, the draw drops to zero (float?) after stepping down to about 2 amps, then later 1 amp. Thanks again.
khogle2 is offline   Reply With Quote