Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Winnebago Owners Online Community > WINNEBAGO TECH & TOW > Electrical | Charging, Solar and Electronics
Click Here to Login
Register FilesRegistry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 12-10-2022, 10:59 AM   #1
Winnebago Owner

Honda generator propane conversions

I'm very curious about these. There are kits from Hutch Mountain and a company called Grenergy and both of them have glowing reviews on YouTube. I'm not quite sure of the difference between the two (they look identical) and I was curious if any of you folks have done such a conversion.

I know that propane generators exist on their own, but I am curious about the conversion kits and personal experiences. We have a fairly new Honda e2000i that I might convert. The videos are mostly for the e2200i, though. It looks fairly straightforward.

Have any of you done this? Any issues?
Old 12-11-2022, 01:21 PM   #2
Winnebago Watcher

Hi, I converted four Yamaha (EF2200is) generators for a coffee car project last summer and used these: https://motorsnorkel.com/product/mot...onversion-kit/ They also make one for Honda generators (and most model generators). Shipping was quick and the installation was easy. And the best part is that it works very well...!
tek888 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2022, 04:04 PM   #3
Winnebago Watcher

I looked on the US Carb web site and found a kit for a Honda EU2000i... I think this is the one you need: Honda EU2000i Propane Kits
Old 12-11-2022, 04:08 PM   #4
Winnebago Watcher

Ahh, found a better link: https://motorsnorkel.com/product/mot...onversion-kit/
Old 12-12-2022, 03:03 PM   #5
Winnebago Owner

That was the big question. How well do they work long term. Further reading has revealed that they seem quite reliable. I also learned more about ethanol gumming up carbs and that the propane is probably a better way to go anyway.

It's now on my spring to-do list.
Old 12-12-2022, 03:34 PM   #6
Winnebago Watcher

We have about 100 hours so far on the converted generators and have had only one issue but not related to the conversion... Found out that in sub freezing temps propane tanks if put on the ground the pressure (in the tank) had dropped very low and the generators would not run. Big benefit of running on propane is the smell... much better than gasoline !
Old 12-12-2022, 04:27 PM   #7
Winnebago Master

I have no experience with the Honda conversion but have used several different small gensets for a number of years and found them to be very good. One big advantage is the simple design compared to carb.
Thinking of what it takes to run something, it has to be a gas. Lots of confusion about liquid gas burning as it is the gas just above which burns. So in engines we have to inject the correct gas air mix to get it to work. That makes it more complex to do compared to propane which is gas by nature.
When working underground sites, the generators and motors I have used/been around have often been propane as it is safer to handle and store on trucks and such.
There ARE different problems with using propane as mentioned. Keeping the tanks and regs from getting too cold and losing pressure or freezing the reg is one. The solutions for us was to arrange blower hoses normally used to push air into the underground, so that it also pushed some air to the tank and reg to keep them warm.
We also put a tent over the tank and backed a truck to run the exhaust in for heating the tank.
When REALLY cold, we had to go with adding a tube from the exhaust back to the tank, but that is pretty extreme and not a time when we had a choice about being there or bailing out!
If camped, I would have been long gone before I got that cold!

It seemed like the generators did not take much maintenance to keep them going and I did work with one truck and mounted generator for something like six years and don't remember anything needing work on the generator.
Morich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2022, 07:36 PM   #8
Winnebago Owner

I hadn't thought about the cold. We won't be doing much camping in sub zero, but we might be up at a higher altitude every so often.

I guess there are a few things to keep in mind. Thanks for the tip!
Old 12-13-2022, 07:44 AM   #9
Winnebago Master

Part of the problem is reducing pressure is the way Air conditioners work, so when we reduce the pressure in the tank it works somewhat the same way and the tank becomes colder than if just settting.
But something as simple as a blanket thrown over the tank and a light bulb to heat may be plenty.
Kind of one of those things to be aware of but not much worry!
Morich is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
generator, propane