Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-03-2021, 10:47 AM   #1
Winnebago Camper

Electrical question on L1 and L2

I’m having a problem with the 20amp breaker on my generator tripping off. It is my understanding that this is for the 2nd AC compressor only? I was told that the AC was removed from the RV and worked on away from the RV and put back in. Is it possible the L1 and L2 leads were crossed? How can I check?
Old 03-03-2021, 02:11 PM   #2
Winnebago Master

i assume that this is a basement A/C unit with two compressors. I don't have one but it is my vague understanding that the primary compressor runs on the dedicated leg and the secondary compressor runs off of the leg that is used for other services as well, the opposite of what you are saying.

But it doesn't matter which compressor is on which leg, if the 20A is tripping there is too much current for that breaker and it doesn't matter if it is L1 or L2 or is connected ot other loads or stand alone.

Breakers do get weak and they are cheap enough to replace, so.....

If you have a clamp on ammeter, measure the current.

David
DavidM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2021, 04:38 PM   #3
Winnebago Master

I'm also short on how that RV works so a thought that you may want to consider and look at how much trouble to do?
I took a look at the drawing and did a snip of what i think you have. Understand that you are tripping one of the 20 amp breakers at the load center as I've marked?
Click the snip for a better view but the Full drawing of the 110AC is here:
https://www.winnebago.com/Files/File...ire_138209.pdf

One way to begin to cut the chase is if you have reasonably easy access to the two breakers, would it be practical to swap the wire from no. 1 and no. 2 on the breakers?

If the same breaker still trips, that would indicate a breaker problem and then I would go for changing it, but if the tripping follows the wire to the different breaker, I would look for trouble on toward the AC unit?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	2002 advent.jpg
Views:	51
Size:	150.7 KB
ID:	177605  
Morich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2021, 04:44 PM   #4

If you removed your Basement AC, what did you have done to it?

Or are you the new owner and you have never seen this basement AC run right?

Please confirm your basement model and be sure you hooked AC Circuit #1 and Circuit #2 wires correct and neutral wires are all in their right places.

Note: Your main circuit breaker panel separated L1 & L2 loads in an attempt to balance them. But if you are not running any other appliances while you are attempting to start your AC then popping a 20A CB should not be a problem.

Note: Your EMS may use a "load shedder" but each leg is capable of handling 50A. And if you are blowing an individual CB then your problem is either wiring or excessive load on that appliance; or perhaps you just have a weak CB? ...but I doubt it.

* ...more likely your start capacitor is out of spec. which can be done without pulling the AC off the frame rails.

...But you must have needed to do something inside the basement AC if you pulled it. So what was that?

* Does your AC start and then the CB pops; of pop right away?

Below are pictures of my basement AC which may or may not help you troubleshoot your AC.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	6535-671 Electrical Box.jpg
Views:	50
Size:	229.1 KB
ID:	177606   Click image for larger version

Name:	1 Coleman Basement AC #6535-671 Wire Diagram1.jpg
Views:	49
Size:	176.2 KB
ID:	177607  

Name:	1 Coleman Basement AC #6535-671 Spec Sheet.jpg
Views:	47
Size:	177.2 KB
ID:	177608  
imnprsd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2021, 12:46 PM   #5
Winnebago Camper

It was replaced with a rebuild one.

Quote:
Originally Posted by imnprsd View Post
If you removed your Basement AC, what did you have done to it?

Or are you the new owner and you have never seen this basement AC run right?

Please confirm your basement model and be sure you hooked AC Circuit #1 and Circuit #2 wires correct and neutral wires are all in their right places.

Note: Your main circuit breaker panel separated L1 & L2 loads in an attempt to balance them. But if you are not running any other appliances while you are attempting to start your AC then popping a 20A CB should not be a problem.

Note: Your EMS may use a "load shedder" but each leg is capable of handling 50A. And if you are blowing an individual CB then your problem is either wiring or excessive load on that appliance; or perhaps you just have a weak CB? ...but I doubt it.

* ...more likely your start capacitor is out of spec. which can be done without pulling the AC off the frame rails.

...But you must have needed to do something inside the basement AC if you pulled it. So what was that?

* Does your AC start and then the CB pops; of pop right away?

Below are pictures of my basement AC which may or may not help you troubleshoot your AC.
Old 03-05-2021, 11:47 AM   #6
Winnebago Camper

Thanks You'll

The problem was the Genset was cross wired at the ATS. Switch L1 and L2 around and all is good. Thanks for all the advice and good info.
Old 03-05-2021, 05:44 PM   #7
Winnebago Master

It's nice when things work out in a simple way.
BobC is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
electrical