Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Winnebago Owners Online Community > WINNEBAGO TECH & TOW > Plumbing | Systems and Fixtures
Click Here to Login
Register FilesRegistry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 03-30-2005, 11:45 AM   #1
Winnebago Owner

With the auxiliary battery switch in the "off" position the water, holding tank & LP gauges illuminate when pressed. Why? I thought the ABS would disconnect power to all 12V items.

I have the OnePlace system center, generator is off and shoreline is not plugged in.
Nonno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2005, 11:45 AM   #2
Winnebago Owner

With the auxiliary battery switch in the "off" position the water, holding tank & LP gauges illuminate when pressed. Why? I thought the ABS would disconnect power to all 12V items.

I have the OnePlace system center, generator is off and shoreline is not plugged in.
Old 03-30-2005, 02:43 PM   #3
Winnebago Master

Bob,

My gauges don't work with the coach battery off, but I seem to remember a previous discussion that indicated that on some models the gauges are powered by the engine battery. Engine battery power is available at the panel since they run it there for the voltage readout.

On the schematic for your model, engine battery power is connected to one side of the voltage readout switch, but it also runs from there into another connector that looks like it plugs into the gauge package. I can't really tell what it does from that point, but it looks possible that it powers the gauge readouts.
tomsm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2005, 04:35 PM   #4
Winnebago Owner

Tom,

Thanks for checking the schematic. Owner's manual shows it as part of the house batteries. Glad to know it's not a problem with the wiring or the disconnect.
Old 03-31-2005, 01:26 AM   #5
Winnebago Master

Bob,

The schematic is not completely definitive - the connector that plugs into the gauge package looks like it has both engine and coach power, but doesn't show how it's used internally. Probably still worth a call to Winnie to confirm.
tomsm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2005, 05:47 AM   #6
Winnebago Owner

Tom,

Just got off the phone with Rod @ Winnebago. He said it's supposed to be connected to the house battery but may have been crossed over by mistake.

I have an appointment with my dealer next week so I'll just add this to the list. Unless there is something really unusal about this connection, I'm fortunate it can only drain the battery when I check the levels.

Thanks again for your help.

Bob
Old 03-31-2005, 06:49 AM   #7
Moderator Emeritus

Bob,
I'm curious. When you shut off that switch, do you loose power to the co2 detector? Does your ceiling lights shut off?
Wondering if there is more to it than just "mis-wired".
Mike
ISLAPP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2005, 11:22 AM   #8
Winnebago Owner

Mike,

Everything else that should shut off does.

There are two other items on the OnePlace that work when the switch is in the off position (1)the solar charging light and (2) the voltage reading for the engine battery. My understanding is that these operate independent of the switch.

Bob
Old 03-31-2005, 02:32 PM   #9
Moderator Emeritus

Yes, the solar voltage should be always on and the voltage indicator switch is live all the time. Guess maybe they did wire the rest of that panel wrong. That isnt real assuring to know they could have "mistakenly" wired it wrong!
Mike
ISLAPP is offline   Reply With Quote