Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Winnebago Owners Online Community > WINNEBAGO TECH & TOW > Electrical | Charging, Solar and Electronics
Click Here to Login
Register FilesRegistry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 09-03-2010, 08:04 PM   #1
Winnebago Master

Winne electrical question

We're visiting some family and I am on 20amp shore power. The coach battery indicator on the One Place panel is showing yellow and when I press the battery power button, it is showing 12.2 volts. Now, my 3 12V interstates are exactly 4 years old so they may be giving up. However, if the charger is working (or trying to charge the batteries), I would think the voltage reading at the One Place would be the charging voltage (13.8 v or so).

I have the Heart Freedom inverter/charger and now wonder if it is 'smart' enough to not try and charge the batteries if they are shot??? Or, am I looking at a problem with the charger itself?
'07 Country Coach Allure 470 Siskiyou Summit #31578, Cummins ISL 425; 2014 Ford F150 toad; Air Force One Toad Brake.
Glen Allen, VA; Smith Mountain Lake, VA.
smlranger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2010, 08:33 PM   #2
Winnebago Master

It definitely should be over 13 volts. Clean all of your battery connections. Check the charger for output, possibly a fuse. Are your interior lights bright?
1999 Jeep Cherokee & 1991 Jeep Wrangler Renegade
John Hilley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2010, 08:35 PM   #3
KIX
Winnebago Master

Going from memory of when my inverter/charger bit the dust.....I think you should be able to check the DC volts at the charger output when the charger is ON. If not around 13+ volts it's indicating your charger is not functioning. Seems like there may be a small CB on the Heart unit.
I'm sure you already know that Xantrex is who you should call for tech support.
Hope this helps you out.
Old 09-03-2010, 09:25 PM   #4
Winnie-Wise

Quote:
Originally Posted by smlranger View Post
We're visiting some family and I am on 20amp shore power. The coach battery indicator on the One Place panel is showing yellow and when I press the battery power button, it is showing 12.2 volts. Now, my 3 12V interstates are exactly 4 years old so they may be giving up. However, if the charger is working (or trying to charge the batteries), I would think the voltage reading at the One Place would be the charging voltage (13.8 v or so).

I have the Heart Freedom inverter/charger and now wonder if it is 'smart' enough to not try and charge the batteries if they are shot??? Or, am I looking at a problem with the charger itself?
Hi Gary, Just a thought. When your batteries are low, how many Amps does the inverter/charger pull when in the charge mode? Maybe your 20amp shore power is not enough to power your coach and charge at the same time.

Sammie
Sammie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2010, 09:42 PM   #5
Winnie-Wise

One last idea. Fire up your generator. It should charge your batteries thru the inverter/charger. If not it sounds like maybe the inverter/charger went bye bye.

Sammie
Old 09-04-2010, 05:55 AM   #6
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sammie View Post
Hi Gary, Just a thought. When your batteries are low, how many Amps does the inverter/charger pull when in the charge mode? Maybe your 20amp shore power is not enough to power your coach and charge at the same time.

Sammie
I think you nailed it. Apparently, the EMS shut down the charger since we are running the AC and EMS shed some load. I finally noticed that the charger LED was off so I turned the charger on. After about one minute of the charger being on, I tripped the 20 amp breaked on BIL's house. So, I started the genset and all is well...charger works fine.

This is the only location we've ever been on a 20 amp service so I am learning how the EMS works. We will run on his shore line leave the charger off and expect to re-charge the house batteries with the genset if necessary.
'07 Country Coach Allure 470 Siskiyou Summit #31578, Cummins ISL 425; 2014 Ford F150 toad; Air Force One Toad Brake.
Glen Allen, VA; Smith Mountain Lake, VA.
smlranger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2010, 10:17 AM   #7
Winnie-Wise

On my 2004 Journey the inverter on/off switch on the panel in the galley allows me to reduce the charger setting from 25 amps down in increments of five amps to zero. At least that is what the control indicates it does. If you get your batteries charged up you could set the switch to 5 amps and I'd think that should maintain the batteries at full charge.
1ciderdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2010, 10:53 AM   #8
Winnie-Wise

Gary, We both learned something new.

Sammie
Old 09-06-2010, 03:17 AM   #9
Winnebago Master

Hi Bob,

You speak of a ‘switch on the panel in the galley’ that allows you to bump the charge current down on the charger in increments of 5 Amps. What switch is this? I don’t see anything like this in your coach’s schematic. What current is reduced, the DC charge current or the AC power to the charger? Was your coach modified to add this feature?

I installed two ProSine 2000’s on our coach and wired the 12 Volt charging sides together for 200 Amps. of charge current. The ProSine that provides AC monitors the output AC and automatically reduces its own AC requirement to maintain no more than 30 Amps. on the input side. Of course, this only works with the one unit and can not read those items not supplied through the ProSine like air conditioning, but that is handled nicely by the PowerLine.
Old 09-06-2010, 06:27 AM   #10
Winnebago Master

alternator vs. inverter

On my Journey, the engine / alternator charges the batteries at a much faster rate than the genset / inverter ... so I use the genset when I want to run the microwave or basement air ... and let the engine idle when I want to charge the batteries ...

I don't know the difference in fuel consumption ... but the run time is shorter (measured in time that I annoy my neighbors)
skigramp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2010, 02:49 PM   #11
Winnie-Wise

Mark
In the galley I have a panel about 20 inches tall and about 6 inches wide that has most controls such as water heater, water pump, generator start, hour meter, tank gauges, air conditioning and heater and perhaps other things. Immediately below that is a panel about 5 1/2 wide and about 3 1/2 tall that has a DIMENSION manufacturer label. This panel has three controls, labeled: panel on/off; inverter on/off and reset; and the third charger draw set/input. Until I read your message I thought it was part of the same panel but it is not. It is butted up against the bottom of the first panel and matches in color. I bought this motor home used and do not know if it was factory or aftermarket. If memory serves me correctly the inverter/converter is a Dimensions brand. I presume the charger portion of the converter is reduced in increments of 5 amps as indicated by the label. Later today I'll see if I can find the literature for this device.
1ciderdog is offline   Reply With Quote