Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-01-2009, 10:01 AM   #1
Winnebago Camper

Electrical Question/Sound System

Calling all electrical gurus! I've had a strange thing come up in my sound system. In my coach, the Direct TV DVR is in the cabinet above the driver. Whenever it's plugged in and the DVR is UNPLUGGED, I get a bad buzz through the sound system. Plug it in, buzz is gone. I've tried plugging into an extension cord to a different plug. Any suggestions on tracking down bad grounds and such?
BattChief is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2009, 10:06 AM   #2
Winnie-Wise

First thing to do is to get one of the circuit testers from Home Depot or the likes and ee if the plug is properly connected and grounded. Then check all of the plugs on that circuit.

Does this happen when you are plugged in at one particular site of just one site?

Ken
Old 08-01-2009, 02:31 PM   #3
Winnebago Camper

Speaker Noise

Sounds like the typical feedback problem assosciated with non-common grounds. You should be able to fix it cheaply by installing a "Ground Loop Isolator" going to your speakers. This is a standand piece of equipment that Winnebago installs on the majority of their coaches between the OE sound system and the speakers. If removed it usually gives a bad "Hummmm" noise in the speakers. Here is a link to one at Radio Shack:

http://www.radioshack.com/product/in...ductId=2062214

Clear sailing
AirMarv
2003 Itasca Horizon 39QD (Bert) 330 Cat, Blue Ox Aventa LX, USGear UTB, Progressive Industries 50a Electrical Management w/Remote Display, FloJet Macerator, TST Color TPMS, Ultimate Trik-L-Start all being pushed down the road by a 2005 Jeep Liberty (named Ernie)!
AirMarv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2009, 08:32 AM   #4
Winnebago Owner

had a similar problem-ended up adding additional grounds to the coax ground
Old 08-13-2009, 05:59 PM   #5
Winnebago Camper

I ended up having to replace the ground loop isolator. Has anybody put it down at the amp instead of at the TV?
BattChief is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2009, 06:10 PM   #6
Winnebago Camper

It just needs to be inline going to the speakers usually
2003 Itasca Horizon 39QD (Bert) 330 Cat, Blue Ox Aventa LX, USGear UTB, Progressive Industries 50a Electrical Management w/Remote Display, FloJet Macerator, TST Color TPMS, Ultimate Trik-L-Start all being pushed down the road by a 2005 Jeep Liberty (named Ernie)!
AirMarv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2009, 01:05 AM   #7
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by AirMarv View Post
It just needs to be inline going to the speakers usually
on my moho, it matters where this gizmo lies. i found the "sweet spot" and tied it down there with sticky velcro.
01 WINNEBAGO 35U W20.8.1L SW Wa, Hi. Good Sam, SKP. AMSOIL fluids. BANKS ecm program. SCAN GAUGE II w/ Ally temp. 2 LIFELINE GPL-6CT AGM Batts on their sides. TST tptts. K&N panel air filter. AERO mufflers. TAYLOR plug wires. ULTRA POWER track bar. KONI fsd shocks, toad '14 smart car
DAN L is offline   Reply With Quote