Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Winnebago Owners Online Community > WINNEBAGO TECH & TOW > General Maintenance and Repair
Click Here to Login
Register FilesRegistry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 10-24-2023, 11:33 AM   #1
Winnebago Owner

Slow retracting levelers 2004 Journey

I would like to know the location of the fluid reservoirs for my rear levelers on my 2004 Journey. They both are slow to retract, but the passenger side is the worst. The front levelers retract normally. Are they separate systems?? Any idea which one of my manuals would have this sort of information??
TIA............
jefflbi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2023, 12:05 PM   #2
Winnebago Master

I have a 2007 journey and the reservoir is next to the pump under the steps, not sure what the reservoir would have to do with slow retraction. Wen is the last time you cleaned the cylinders and just how slow are they to retract. They get slower as the temperature drops., not sure where you are and your outside temps.
Old 10-24-2023, 01:51 PM   #3
Winnebago Camper

Listening in...
Old 10-24-2023, 01:57 PM   #4
Winnebago Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by tim myers View Post
I have a 2007 journey and the reservoir is next to the pump under the steps, not sure what the reservoir would have to do with slow retraction. Wen is the last time you cleaned the cylinders and just how slow are they to retract. They get slower as the temperature drops., not sure where you are and your outside temps.
I've only owned the RV for 2 yrs and just this past summer started using it. I have never cleaned the cylinders, but I have sprayed them with WD40. It literally took 5 minutes for the one rear jack to retract. The RV only had 50k miles on it when I bought it. I will check under the steps for the reservoir. From another post I got the information that low fluid could cause a slow retracting jack. I want to check the easy fixes first!!

Thanks!
Old 10-24-2023, 03:10 PM   #5
Winnebago Owner

Low fluid would not cause slow retraction. Quite possibly you have weak springs. Look at the springs if they are flat across the top they are the old type and need replaced.
The new type are conical type, tapered at the top and bottom. Never leave your jacks in the store mode for more than five minutes. This is what causes the solenoids to burn up, they get hot. Let them cool for 30 minutes before you try again. The new springs should help a lot.
Chaffeekid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2023, 06:05 PM   #6
Winnebago Master

This is the information you seek: https://www.hwhcorp.com/ml44725.pdf

Only check the HWH fluid level when both leveling system(jacks) and hyd. slides are retracted. Do not add hydraulic jack oil! Only use HWH fluid or Dextron 3 ATF..
Every question you have about your HWH leveling system or slide room extension is answered on the https://www.hwhcorp.com/ml20673aafaq.html
Each question is documented with a hot link to the specifications document.
2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA 1SG, retired;PPA,Good Sam Life member,FMCA. "We the people are the rightful masters of both the Congress and the Courts - not to overthrow the Constitution but to overthrow men who pervert the Constitution." Abraham Lincoln
Ray,IN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2023, 01:55 PM   #7
Winnebago Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chaffeekid View Post
Low fluid would not cause slow retraction. Quite possibly you have weak springs. Look at the springs if they are flat across the top they are the old type and need replaced.
The new type are conical type, tapered at the top and bottom. Never leave your jacks in the store mode for more than five minutes. This is what causes the solenoids to burn up, they get hot. Let them cool for 30 minutes before you try again. The new springs should help a lot.
Chaffeekid, obviously I don't understand what the store mode is for. I thought it was a way to retract all the jacks at the same time........... That's how I was first trying to retract them........ I guess I need to go over the levelers manual again............ but I will look at the springs to see what style they are. I can only guess they are the older style........... can you recommend a source for replacement springs??
Old 10-25-2023, 02:27 PM   #8
Winnebago Master

Jeff,

Store mode is when you push the store button to raise all the jacks.The HWH leveling jacks do not power into the stores (up) position. When you push the Store Button there are four solenoid valves that open just like unscrewing the valve on a hydraulic bottle jack. The springs Chaffee mentione4d are3 what raises the jacks and pushes the hydraulic fluid back into the reservoir.

One of the methods of cleaning the cylinders is by spraying them with WD40 and you mentioned that. Always a good idea to also wipe the cylinders down with a clean cloth.

Chaffee mentioned that the old, and outdated springs are flat across the ends while the newer ones are somewhat tapered. Sometimes these springs get weak and need replacing, Lastly Ray attached the standards posted by HWH for acceptable retraction times, based on temperature. You may find that you are within those acceptable times.

If I remember correctly, when the store button is pushed the solenoids stay open for up to 20 minutes.

Don't hesitate to respond if something doesn't make sense
Old 10-25-2023, 02:42 PM   #9
Winnebago Owner

Just a little update, I took a good look and the springs on the levelers and the one spring is barely holding on. It looks like part of it broke off. They look like something I can replace myself. I just need to find them........ I guess I can start with HWHCORP........
Old 10-25-2023, 04:30 PM   #10
Winnebago Master

What part of the country?
Old 10-25-2023, 04:31 PM   #11
Winnebago Master

if you are anywhere near Indiana, this guy is pretty good.

Stuarts Service

Chuck Stewart President

2990 County Rd 6 W.

Elkhart, IN 46514

[email protected]

http://www.rvleveling.com/Stuarts-Services-Elkhart-IN.html

800-826-6267

574-262-0225

Fax 574-262-0389
Old 10-25-2023, 06:42 PM   #12
Winnebago Owner

Unfortunately I'm nowhere near Indiana.......... Jersey shore............. but there are a few authorized RV places here for the HWH products........ I should be fine.........
Old 10-25-2023, 07:20 PM   #13
Winnebago Master

if you are planning to install it yourself you can still order from Stuarts if you need to. There are several YT videos on easy ways to change the springs.

Also, I never told you how to access the reservoir. At your entrance the two intermediate steps are hinged at the back and are held down with a 1/2" nut on a stud. Remove the nut and the steps can be lifted to provide access to the pump, reservoir and the solenoids.

If you have hydraulic slides this is the same pump that controls them with two solenoids per slide.
Old 10-26-2023, 03:40 AM   #14
Winnebago Owner

Thanks for all that info. I'm going to get under the RV and count the coils in the springs and see if there is any readable information on the jacks. I'm pretty sure I can find them locally. There are two Camping World locations that are listed on the HWH website. And I have already checked out a youtube video on replacing springs. I am a DIY type of guy.....
Old 10-26-2023, 10:23 PM   #15
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by jefflbi View Post
Thanks for all that info. I'm going to get under the RV and count the coils in the springs and see if there is any readable information on the jacks. I'm pretty sure I can find them locally. There are two Camping World locations that are listed on the HWH website. And I have already checked out a youtube video on replacing springs. I am a DIY type of guy.....
It's the number of coils AND diameter to order the same spring replacement.
2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA 1SG, retired;PPA,Good Sam Life member,FMCA. "We the people are the rightful masters of both the Congress and the Courts - not to overthrow the Constitution but to overthrow men who pervert the Constitution." Abraham Lincoln
Old 10-27-2023, 04:21 AM   #16
Winnebago Owner

I was able to get a part number off of the jack and order the springs directly from HWH. 4 sets at $37 each. I should have them before my next trip next Friday. I'll post an update...........
Old 10-29-2023, 04:47 PM   #17
Winnebago Camper

Part # ?
Old 10-29-2023, 05:01 PM   #18
Winnebago Camper

My 32V passenger side rear does it intermittently.
I keep a small harbor freight floor jack handy to help it up quicker. Will try new springs also.
Old 10-29-2023, 06:16 PM   #19
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Farco View Post
My 32V passenger side rear does it intermittently.
I keep a small harbor freight floor jack handy to help it up quicker. Will try new springs also.
Each HWH jack size requires a different spring size.
Old 10-29-2023, 11:16 PM   #20
Winnebago Owner

I have HWH hyd jacks. I was frustrated with slow-moving retracting jacks. My quick fix was spraying my jack rams (pistons) with food-grade silicone dry lube. I know HWH says don't add sprays or lubes to the rams. But I've been doing this for years with no issues - and it works. The long fix may be replacing the retraction springs. Years of use and over-tension may weaken them. Also, I use 4" blocks under my jacks (even on flat ground). It reduces spring fatigue. And yes to YT - I learned a lot of fixes and how-to's with YT.
Sierradave is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
journey, levelers