Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Winnebago Owners Online Community > WINNEBAGO TECH & TOW > General Maintenance and Repair
Click Here to Login
Register FilesRegistry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

View Poll Results: Have you had a problem with your Schwintek Slide where a visit to a Dealer was needed
YES 168 58.95%
NO 117 41.05%
Voters: 285. You may not vote on this poll

Old 12-15-2015, 09:59 AM   #121
Winnebago Camper

Send a message via MSN to Saber77
So far, we've had no problems with the slides in our new 2015 Journey 40R; however, we do keep our fingers crossed each time we extend or retract them. We do follow the protocol...level first, engine at high idle, & no stopping once started.

Sent from my iPhone using iRV2 - RV Forum
Saber77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2015, 11:16 AM   #122
Winnebago Watcher

it has been a year since the dealer re-shimmed the full wall slide and replaced the drive unit. so far so good. but I cringe every time I use it as the weight if the unit is way too much for the little motors, brake, and the long drive between racks! like others stated, make sure there are no obstructions! also since using the travel locks posted earlier I have had no creep and feel that it is helping the system by relieving stress while traveling. I put them on the bottom as that is where the creep was prevalent. remember the motor/brake is at the top so it keeps the pinion shaft from twisting...I think

Itasca 37F 2014
johnd1985 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2015, 12:36 PM   #123
Winnebago Watcher

Quote:
Originally Posted by jharrell View Post
I just took these pics of my full wall Powergear slide from the inside with slide retracted for comparision. You can see the track is somewhat flexible and ends up nearly 3/4" away from the slide where it goes through a guide that holds it against drive gear.

Seems like a better design as far as tolerances and jumping teeth goes but only attached by 4 screws on each end it seems. Have had no problems yet, but have only had it a couple months.

Attachment 113420

Attachment 113421

Attachment 113422
Please keep us posted on how this new slide mechanism works out over time.

Thank you.

Cheers.
RodJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2015, 06:56 AM   #124
Winnebago Owner

Took MH to McClains in Rockwall,Tx. yesterday.they have the parts. Supposed to be fixed by this eve. Stayed in a motel last eve. Parts came in in record time from schwintech. Thanks to them. Will get back with more details.
Old 12-25-2015, 08:19 AM   #125
Winnebago Watcher

K ,v,k, k,v k, kv k,k , k,k ,
Rhone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2015, 08:21 AM   #126
Winnie-Wise

I am so absent minded I had to take drastic measures to remember to remove the slide locks. My ultimate protection has been to attach the key used to operate the electric slide switch on the slide lock. I made a huge loop out of plastic tie straps to the key and loop it over the slide lock bar whenever the slide is in. So far my empty mind has not outsmarted the new system and assures the slide is not moved without removal of the slide lock bar.
Americanrascal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2016, 08:34 AM   #127
Winnebago Camper

We just had our first problem with our Schwintek / Lippert slide system. Defective motor shorted out. Big thanks to Matt England at General RV in Tampa / Dover FL for getting us warranty repair in one day. We bought from General RV in Wixom, MI, so it was great to get taken care of well while we are in Florida,

One bit of information the service man gave us: It's best to always run your generator to keep the voltage up over 12.3V during slide operation. This will prevent the amperage from going too high and possibly shorting or damaging anything. This is information we were not told when we bought the rig last year.
Old 01-09-2016, 10:27 AM   #128
Winnebago Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eric n Karen View Post
We just had our first problem with our Schwintek / Lippert slide system. Defective motor shorted out. Big thanks to Matt England at General RV in Tampa / Dover FL for getting us warranty repair in one day. We bought from General RV in Wixom, MI, so it was great to get taken care of well while we are in Florida,

One bit of information the service man gave us: It's best to always run your generator to keep the voltage up over 12.3V during slide operation. This will prevent the amperage from going too high and possibly shorting or damaging anything. This is information we were not told when we bought the rig last year.
I believe running the generator accomplishes the same thing as running the engine when operating the slides and that is what the instructions say to do. I prefer to just keep engine running while putting down leveling jacks and then putting out the slides and vice versa when leaving.
Old 01-09-2016, 10:52 AM   #129
Winnebago Owner

You should have a bag(s) of manuals from Winnebago. Somewhere there is the correct method of deploying jacks and slides. (530ktm has read the manual).
two-niner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2016, 01:18 PM   #130
Winnebago Camper

I had been running the engine too, before this problem occurred. I also have read the manual. However, the generator appears to charge the house batteries much faster, and the voltage doesn't drop when you activate the slide mechanism.
Old 01-09-2016, 02:08 PM   #131
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eric n Karen View Post

The Schwintec controller monitors the battery voltage. It will shut off the slide motors if the voltage goes below the minimum needed to power them. There is no danger of shorting or damaging the motors if the batteries fall below the required voltage. They just won't run, and the controller will display a "Low Voltage" message.

We don't have additional mechanical locks on our slides. However we do have a keyed lock that prevents the slides from being extended or retracted if the key is not in the "ON" position. The simplest way to avoid damaging the slides is to turn the key off and remove it from the lock when the mechanical slide locks are in place.
Old 01-12-2016, 04:00 PM   #132
Winnie-Wise

Well after 2 plus years my luck has run out. This morning after being parked for the last month the kitchen slide made cracking and grinding noise as I brought it in. Arrived at destination and watched it closely and the one gear/motor made a loud snapped and did not move. The other corners were just barely out so I was able to bring it back in. Now the wait begins. Maybe there is a factory rep here at the Tampa RV show.
majfrizz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2016, 06:54 PM   #133
Winnebago Camper

magfrizz, I have a question.

I assume you level your coach prior to extending the slides. Some of the procedures of leveling can twist the coach causing problems for the Schwintek slide system. I have special procedures I use on leveling prior to extending the slides to minimize the twist on the coach and stress on the slides.

I use the same leveling procedure prior to retracting the slides just in case the coach has settled into a twist while it has been parked. This can happen from a jack sinking or from the loss of a small amount of oil and if you were parked for a month, either one could have happened.

Did you re-level the coach prior to retracting the slides?

The first time I ran a slide while the coach was in a twist, it sounded awful but nothing broke. I retracted the jacks and moved the coach with the slide out until I could get it leveled and untwisted. I'm now on my 3rd coach with these slides and haven't had a problem with them yet.

I really think knowing your coach isn't twisted is critical to the trouble free operation of the slides.
Old 01-12-2016, 07:14 PM   #134
Winnebago Camper

The problem with a poll like this is that unless you have a problem, most people don't even know what a Schintek slide is. They just know it's a slide. I was actually suprised at the results. Sure, there are more voters reporting problems than those who did not have problems, but not by a landslide. And it certainly does not represent how many people out in the world have these slides and have had no problems.

That being said, I had Schwintek slides in my travel trailer and I started having problems with them just before I sold it. They would not extend equally and the slide would jam.
Old 01-12-2016, 07:22 PM   #135
Winnie-Wise

I have always checked my level gauges almost weekly. My rear jack has been replaced three times for not holding when I first bought it. So I check it probably almost weekly just to see if it has dropped any. Last few months since last jacks replaced it is staying level. Jacks are another Lippert product,
majfrizz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2016, 08:23 PM   #136
Winnebago Camper

I assume by "checking my level gauges" you mean looking at the lights on the Lippert jack control pad. That only tells you if the coach is reasonably level where the sensor is located. The front of the coach could be twisted to the right and the rear of the coach twisted to the left, but if the sensor is in the center area of the coach, it could be indicating the coach is perfectly level.

I use a digital level mounted above the control pad for the front and another digital level mounted on the rear of the coach with a remote readout also mounted above the control pad.

I also assume you didn't extend the front jacks to untwist the coach prior to retracting the slides. I never retract the slides without extending the front jacks about an inch first.
Old 01-12-2016, 08:51 PM   #137
Winnebago Master

Any pictures or links to the digital sensors you are referring to?
Old 01-13-2016, 08:12 AM   #138
Winnebago Camper

Tim, search a thread, "Leveling the coach" I did back in Nov. to see the levels.
Old 01-13-2016, 08:16 PM   #139
Winnebago Master

Ok i will give it a shot
Old 05-31-2016, 12:53 PM   #140
Winnebago Owner

Well, ours went out again. Front passenger slide won't go out again.
Had repaired just before Xmas. Has been in and out maybe 6-7 times. Always level and lubricated. Shore power and engine running as per Winnebago help line.
Tried the "resyncing." thing. Was o. The phone with Winnebago at the time.guess it is time to get out the popcorn. Will get back with more details.

Tags
slide