Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

View Poll Results: Have you had a problem with your Schwintek Slide where a visit to a Dealer was needed
YES 168 58.95%
NO 117 41.05%
Voters: 285. You may not vote on this poll

Old 07-22-2016, 10:04 PM   #181
Winnebago Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by alank View Post
Stream camper, I agree with your analysis of the operation of the slide system. The previous description by I maniac isn't quite correct.
I've had two 2013 coaches and now a 2015 with Schwintec slides and have had no problems with any of them.
My opinion is that the mechanical problems come from two main situations:
1. Some slides are made so the ends are not true and square and the variation is beyond drive systems self adjusting limits.
2. The slides are operated while the coach is in an excessive twist.
My second coach was very bad about indicating it was level, but was actually still twisted. Schwintec has added a second level sensor on my 2015 coach, but I have added my own digital levels, front & rear, to determine an acceptable amount of twist prior to extending the slides. I also check the levels prior to retracting.
Humm Digital levels? Can you provide some details of what you are using please? Are they remotely readable or?
Wsufans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2016, 07:40 AM   #182
Winnebago Owner

Quote:
I assume by "checking my level gauges" you mean looking at the lights on the Lippert jack control pad. That only tells you if the coach is reasonably level where the sensor is located. The front of the coach could be twisted to the right and the rear of the coach twisted to the left, but if the sensor is in the center area of the coach, it could be indicating the coach is perfectly level.

I use a digital level mounted above the control pad for the front and another digital level mounted on the rear of the coach with a remote readout also mounted above the control pad.

I also assume you didn't extend the front jacks to untwist the coach prior to retracting the slides. I never retract the slides without extending the front jacks about an inch first.
I have a simple bubble level attached to a spot that I made sure was dead level at one spot. It is attached there permantly and is easy to glance at it.
Old 07-23-2016, 01:21 PM   #183
Winnebago Camper

Wsufans, here's a picture of my levels. My jack control panel has been repositioned so it angles up toward the drivers eyes for better view while operating. While in the process I made the metal bracket that attaches behind the control panel. The GemRed digital levels have magnets that keep them in place.
I did my original leveling at the local metal recycling yard, one of my favorite places. I was looking for a level surface so when I was there one day I asked if I could use their scale (during closed hours) to park on to perfectly level the coach, a Sunday afternoon job. It takes very little 1/2" shim lumber to level when you start with a level surface. At this point I reset the levels and the LCI system. The levels are much more accurate and sensitive than the LCI system is.
The left level is for the front and the right level with the cord attached is for the rear. In my opinion, the LCI system does a very poor job of leveling side to side, and cam sometimes cause excessive twist of the coach.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0585 (5).jpg
Views:	243
Size:	218.9 KB
ID:	133972  
Old 07-24-2016, 06:13 AM   #184
Winnebago Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by poppopc View Post
Well the "Power Gear"system is installed.
Winnebago supposedly allows 6 hours for installation.
This one was 20 hours +! They worked late last eve,Friday.
Put a extra man on it middle,of the day on Friday.
Finished about noon today, Saturday. Took in 8am on Thursday.
Was planning on leaving this afternoon, but there was some culk/ sealant,
that need to cure. In McClains defense this is a new retro installation.
I believe that mine is the second one they have do on there own. The factory sen
Some techs to school them on the first one. Think they were here four days.
McClains an a dealership in Eugene, Or. are the only ones that have done the changeover other than the factory. There was no charge! WB is doing it on there
"Goodwill " program. The slide does travel faster. Leaving for Mt. I the AM. Trying to get out of the TX. heat. Will get back with more details.
Well, my MH is at McClains for it,'s repair. They asked me to bring it in a couple days early because a Winny Tech Rep is flying out to work mine with them. Hope all goes well. Overall how did they do?
Dfreiberger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2016, 01:06 PM   #185
Winnebago Camper

Quote:
Wsufans, here's a picture of my levels. My jack control panel has been repositioned so it angles up toward the drivers eyes for better view while operating. While in the process I made the metal bracket that attaches behind the control panel. The GemRed digital levels have magnets that keep them in place.
I did my original leveling at the local metal recycling yard, one of my favorite places. I was looking for a level surface so when I was there one day I asked if I could use their scale (during closed hours) to park on to perfectly level the coach, a Sunday afternoon job. It takes very little 1/2" shim lumber to level when you start with a level surface. At this point I reset the levels and the LCI system. The levels are much more accurate and sensitive than the LCI system is.
The left level is for the front and the right level with the cord attached is for the rear. In my opinion, the LCI system does a very poor job of leveling side to side, and cam sometimes cause excessive twist of the coach.
Thanks. I may go down this path. I have been using a single electronic level to test but not two with a remote. The LCI unit and it don't always agree. And the LCI unit isn't too consistent on deployment to the next.

The whole driver experience with my Winnie isn't very good and the LCI control panel is an example. The designers could easily have done a better job particularly if they had to live with it a while.
Wsufans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2016, 06:42 PM   #186
Winnebago Owner

Well, good news. I took my MH in on Monday and they called me today to come pick it up. It is finished with the new kit installed. The WB Rep flew out Sunday so he could be here to train/assist. They said all went great and system works well. I'll find out tomorrow when I go pick it up.
Old 08-14-2016, 05:59 PM   #187
Winnebago Owner

Well, I picked up my motorhome a couple weeks ago and have been out camping. ALL IS GOOD!! This new system is a little louder and faster. Much smoother and works great. Thank you Winnebago for taking care of this out of warranty.

Thanks to McClains RV in Corinth, Texas for doing a great job. Brad, the Service Manager is outstanding and was very helpful getting my rig fixed. Kudos!!
Old 08-15-2016, 09:54 AM   #188

Excellent news!
Atom Ant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2016, 01:44 PM   #189
Winnebago Owner

Been out of the market for 12 years. My 2003 Adventurer has treated us well, but looking for a newer one. Just seeing this slide issue. Never had an issue with my old hydraulic system. Long story short, yesterday, pulling out of La Mesa RV in San Diego, an Adventurer was pulling in with its small bedroom side jammed in sideways, really ugly! One side in, the other still out 12 to 14 inches.

What year did they drop the hydraulic system?
747Driver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2016, 08:43 PM   #190
Winnebago Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by 747Driver View Post
Been out of the market for 12 years. My 2003 Adventurer has treated us well, but looking for a newer one. Just seeing this slide issue. Never had an issue with my old hydraulic system. Long story short, yesterday, pulling out of La Mesa RV in San Diego, an Adventurer was pulling in with its small bedroom side jammed in sideways, really ugly! One side in, the other still out 12 to 14 inches.

What year did they drop the hydraulic system?
Not sure but looking at most of the DP's from Winnebago - it seems they dropped the hydro system around 2011 time frame. I would for sure check if buying used which system is installed - and if not hydro then would look only for the upgraded version of the electric motor system.
Old 11-10-2016, 06:57 PM   #191
Winnebago Camper

What slide system does the 31BE have for 2017

Anyone know what slide system the 2017 31BE has? I'm to pick mine up Saturday. Is there anything recommended for metolook for during the walk through? Thanks so much. Just learning stuff on this great site.
Vandave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2016, 09:33 PM   #192
Winnebago Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vandave View Post
Anyone know what slide system the 2017 31BE has? I'm to pick mine up Saturday. Is there anything recommended for metolook for during the walk through? Thanks so much. Just learning stuff on this great site.
Same as 2016, it's a powergear, mine has had no problems. The rack gears seem pretty thin but unlike the schwinteck they only connect to the slide at the ends and are held against the pinion gear.
Old 05-09-2017, 07:54 PM   #193
Winnebago Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robmat View Post
After 17 weeks in the dealers repair shop I was called yesterday that my Sunova was ready and today I picked it up. They replaced the slide mechanism, replaced the tracks and much of the trim around the W/D, Refrigerator, stove along with much of the sink peninsula trim, and replaced sections of the vinyl flooring. I have to say they did a great job. You can't tell the difference in the flooring they did a great job patching it and the sink peninsula now rides on the floor nicely. They seemed to use the same tracks on the side of the slide or at least new one that are the same as the old ones on it (they are identical to the ones on the bed slide which they did touch). The interior as well as the exterior trim around the slide looks the same as when we got it new. Totally covered under the warranty. Colonial RV, in Lakewood, NJ did the work and aside from the long time it took which they blamed on getting parts I find the work exemplary. Hopefully it will last as long as own the Sunova.
A followup to my last post on this thread. After the repairs and during the year 2016 we used the Sunova for about 45 days - A month long summer trip, a 10 day Easter trip plus a few maintenance days we set up and ran the RV. Not a lot of time as we are still working. During 2017 our Easter trip we went to Nashville. When we got to Nashville we went to put the large slide out and it got out about six inches and the top front motor started to click (missing the gear teeth) we tried to put the slide in and it won't go in any further. Trying to see if it would go out the rear motors pushed the rear part of the slide outward and front motors didn't do anything. Stopped and put the slides inward. The slides stopped moving while still extended about six inches. Called my dealer and called the Winnebago Tech line. I explain that the situation and was told it was safe to drive that way to get home. I asked the Winnebago Technician about getting the new fix for the slides with the floating track. He advised to have my dealer call them and they will give them the list of replacement parts. Brought my Sunova to the dealer and after a week got an email saying that Winnebago will cover the total cost of the repairs and put on the new Power Gear floating tracks on the slide. Now to see if they can get it done by the time I leave on my Summer Trip in July.
Member FMCA F421963, GS Life, SKP#127220, WIT, PA,
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Robmat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2017, 09:41 PM   #194
Winnebago Owner

Have a 2016 Vista LX 27N. The Full Wall slide is Powergear and so is the Dinette Slide. Wardrobe slide is Schwintek. After 8 months and 7,000 miles the Full Wall slide started to jump and jam at the Tampa RV Show. Camping World in Tallahassee replaced both motors and rails under warranty citing excessive wear. Still not working well after getting it back. Soon after the Dinette slide did the same thing. Got an appointment for April 6th in Forest City, Iowa to address the slides and other issues. They replaced the Dinette slide motors and columns and corrected the work done by Camping World. They told me they have learned of new ways to install and adjust the Powergear System. Now in Seattle with at least 30 cycles and still working quietly. Being the Wardrobe Slide is small and lighter the Schwintek has worked fine except for a seal leak in a heavy rain.
Honwing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2017, 11:20 AM   #195
Winnebago Owner

Send a message via AIM to ed rzepka
Quote:
Originally Posted by Honwing View Post
Have a 2016 Vista LX 27N. The Full Wall slide is Powergear and so is the Dinette Slide. Wardrobe slide is Schwintek. After 8 months and 7,000 miles the Full Wall slide started to jump and jam at the Tampa RV Show. Camping World in Tallahassee replaced both motors and rails under warranty citing excessive wear. Still not working well after getting it back. Soon after the Dinette slide did the same thing. Got an appointment for April 6th in Forest City, Iowa to address the slides and other issues. They replaced the Dinette slide motors and columns and corrected the work done by Camping World. They told me they have learned of new ways to install and adjust the Powergear System. Now in Seattle with at least 30 cycles and still working quietly. Being the Wardrobe Slide is small and lighter the Schwintek has worked fine except for a seal leak in a heavy rain.
I hate to hear things like this. I've the same issues as you plus many many more. Our bed slide system was replaced fall of 2016. When I picked up the coach for the bedroom slide last fall, I got home and found that it was not adjusted properly -- I don't think it was adjusted at all. The slide was jumping and going in and out at a diagonal. I took it back to CW. To get it fixed, that cost three round trips to the dealer for one issue. Now, over two and a half weeks ago the full wall slide went. It is at Camping World since that time.

What I find troubling is the fact that you have to go the factory (been there done that) because they are "learning new ways to install and adjust" the slide. This made me think of the our bedroom slide fix last fall. CW must not have known the "new ways" to adjust the slide. As such, it cost a additional round trip to CW for repair. I wonder if the factory is instructing the dealers what these "new ways" are and in time for my full wall side repair. Would take much for the factory to create a video on these new way. Just look a You Tube instructional video on just about anything one can image.

So far, our coach will be down over three months in the 14+ months of ownership for some 50 plus items that the coach was delivered with. Some of which I fixed myself, others Winnie fixed and still others Winnie refused to fix. I hope this is the end.
Old 05-13-2017, 03:41 PM   #196
Winnebago Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Honwing View Post
My Powergear full wall slide still working well with no problems, no noticeable wear. Does worry me to hear this, please keep us posted.
Old 05-14-2017, 09:59 AM   #197
Winnebago Camper

2015 Ellipse 42 slide problem

Well just read all post on this forum since I am on my way to WB Iowa to hopefully have my back two slideouts repaired !
Was told that I could sign up for a non appointment since they are booked through July ! Just have to wait at factory till they have time .
I have already spent over 2000 $ in trying to have problem fixed in Ca. First ordered four new motors from WB each one cost 280.00 x4 then the repair service time only to find that they could not fix !
Will keep you posted on my experience at factory , please say a prayer for quick service .
Oh , one last item , CW extended service insurance is a joke !
Ccents is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2017, 01:01 AM   #198
Winnebago Owner

I have 3 Schwintek slides on my coach and so far so good. I cross my fingers and say a little prayer every time I run the slides, though! I have lubed the slides, always make sure the coach is level, always run the slides all the way in or out without stopping and hold the switch on for 3-5 seconds after the slide stops.
dezrtracr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2017, 01:35 AM   #199
Winnebago Owner

Schwintek is working fine after one year of use. At least 50 cycles. Not so much the two Power Gear slides. Both have failed in the last three months and had motors and columns replaced. Full wall slide in February in Midway, Florida and the Dining Slide at the factory on April 6th. Factory also repaired what Camping World did wrong. Went to retract the dining slide this morning and only one end would move in. Took 20 minutes to get it in 3 inches at a time. Changed location today and now will not move at all. Called Customer Service at the factory and tech had no luck after trying a long list of things. Told to call back in the morning and would try again. Not going back to the factory for the third time in 10 months and will never let Camping World get near my coach again so hope they diagnose the problem or point me to a good service center again. I guess I should not complain about three Slide failures in less than 10 months. What do you expect for $100,000. 2016 Vista LX 27N
Honwing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2017, 06:47 PM   #200
Winnebago Watcher

You guys are scaring the sh-t out of me. These slides are used in lots of rv brands. Don't think the other are having as much trouble as it seems like Winnebago does. Should I look elsewhere for a new RV?
WorldCat25 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
slide