Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Winnebago Owners Online Community > WINNEBAGO TECH & TOW > General Maintenance and Repair
Click Here to Login
Register FilesRegistry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

View Poll Results: Have you had a problem with your Schwintek Slide where a visit to a Dealer was needed
YES 168 58.95%
NO 117 41.05%
Voters: 285. You may not vote on this poll

Old 06-27-2016, 04:01 PM   #161
Winnebago Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by rjsupersonic View Post
How many years has Winnebago had these slide issues are they finally using Power Gear hardware on the new rigs?? I like Winnebago but would never buy one with Schwintec slides.
Believe they started in 2011 or 2012...the Schwintek slides work ok on the smaller bedroom slide...can be problematic on the full wall slides.
MutinyGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2016, 04:01 PM   #162
Winnie-Wise

It looks like my slide/rail system is out again. The system was replaced in Feb of this year. Now I cannot get the kitchen slide to come in at all. It came in about 6 inches on the front and then the rear stopped. I tried to get it to go back out again and no such luck. Then when i tried to bring on again, I heard a snap near the front rail area. I have about 3 inches of movement, slide is not totally out. And of course we are heading out tomorrow early for a 2 day drive to Winnebago. I had it replaced in FL and we are now in SD.

Any suggestions.
majfrizz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2016, 05:25 PM   #163
Winnebago Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by majfrizz View Post
It looks like my slide/rail system is out again. The system was replaced in Feb of this year. Now I cannot get the kitchen slide to come in at all. It came in about 6 inches on the front and then the rear stopped. I tried to get it to go back out again and no such luck. Then when i tried to bring on again, I heard a snap near the front rail area. I have about 3 inches of movement, slide is not totally out. And of course we are heading out tomorrow early for a 2 day drive to Winnebago. I had it replaced in FL and we are now in SD.

Any suggestions.
If you are going to the factory in Forest City I would "demand" they retrofit the slide with the new Powergear mechanism.
Let us know how you make out!
Good Luck!!
Old 07-03-2016, 08:14 PM   #164
Winnie-Wise

That was on my game plan anyway while I was there. But I know they are overwhelmed during the GNR. We will see. Just got to get it retracted first.
Old 07-04-2016, 05:29 AM   #165
Winnebago Owner

If you can get some help, try pushing on the out side while someone is pushing the retract button. Worked for us. Last Nov. we did the in and out thing a little at a time. We are having ours replaced again. Appointment on Thursday. Here in Ft. Worth. Power gear system. Dealer replaced the first time in Dec. good luck.
Old 07-04-2016, 09:53 AM   #166
Winnie-Wise

I would call Winnebago and ask them how to get it to retract as they are very helpful.
I assume you are level and that the engine is running. I think there is a way to retract it but for the life of me I have forgot, sorry.

Tom-NC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2016, 12:26 PM   #167
Winnie-Wise

What makes it had is today being a holiday n yesterday Sunday. I already left my service tech at Winnebago an email for when he gets backs tomorrow.

I have been disconnecting the motor and still no luck. Just enjoying another HOT day in the Black Hills.

Thanks for the tip.
Old 07-04-2016, 12:34 PM   #168
2LT
Winnebago Watcher

Quote:
Originally Posted by rjsupersonic View Post
How many years has Winnebago had these slide issues are they finally using Power Gear hardware on the new rigs?? I like Winnebago but would never buy one with Schwintec slides.

Guess who bought Power Gear ?? Lippert .... owners' of Schwintek....
Old 07-05-2016, 07:16 AM   #169
Winnebago Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by poppopc View Post
If you can get some help, try pushing on the out side while someone is pushing the retract button. Worked for us. Last Nov. we did the in and out thing a little at a time. We are having ours replaced again. Appointment on Thursday. Here in Ft. Worth. Power gear system. Dealer replaced the first time in Dec. good luck.
Hi John,

Curious as to where in FW you are getting your work done. I am supposed to take mine in to McClain's RV in Corinth next week to get mine fixed. I was told by WB that McClain's is the only local dealer who has actually received the training to do the work. I am on my fourth failure and WB is going to replace mine with the new system.
Dfreiberger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2016, 05:02 AM   #170
Winnebago Owner

Slide repair

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dfreiberger View Post
Hi John,

Curious as to where in FW you are getting your work done. I am supposed to take mine in to McClain's RV in Corinth next week to get mine fixed. I was told by WB that McClain's is the only local dealer who has actually received the training to do the work. I am on my fourth failure and WB is going to replace mine with the new system.
We too are taking our MH to McClains in Corinth today. Had it repaired at there shop in rockwall last dec. bought ours there in June of 2013. Have had some other issues but between the factory in Forrest City , Iowa and here in Ft. worth they have been resolved. Ours will be the third Mh they had have done the update to,the power gear. Not sure how long it will take WB gives 6 hours. Last one took over 30 hours.
Old 07-06-2016, 05:18 PM   #171
Winnie-Wise

Finally got the slide in with the help of this forum especially Jesse. I had to end up disengaging both motors and with some campground muscle power got the slide to sit level and then push it in. Left the Black Hills and Finally got to Winnebago. After they look at it tomorrow will find out the remedy and timeframe. You can see how much tilt it had.

Thanks again Jesse for your guidance
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	1467847030130.jpg
Views:	202
Size:	69.8 KB
ID:	132235   Click image for larger version

Name:	1467847049627.jpg
Views:	203
Size:	73.0 KB
ID:	132236  

Old 07-07-2016, 05:59 AM   #172
Winnebago Owner

Quote:
Finally got the slide in with the help of this forum especially Jesse. I had to end up disengaging both motors and with some campground muscle power got the slide to sit level and then push it in. Left the Black Hills and Finally got to Winnebago. After they look at it tomorrow will find out the remedy and timeframe. You can see how much tilt it had.

Thanks again Jesse for your guidance
Great to hear! Let us know what WGO does for you! Hoping they install the new Power Gear mechanism...
Good luck!
Old 07-09-2016, 08:13 AM   #173
Winnebago Owner

Day three of schwintec replacement, installing power gear. Supposed to get finished middle of the day. Power gear kit was short a motor and the wiring harness was too short. Robbed from one in stock will have to reorder for the next one. This is all a learning curve for the tech, even tho the had training from the factory. On one coach. That took four days or more. We are at McClains in Corinth Tx.North of DFW. South of Denton. Had to spend one neither in a hotel. Last eve they got the MH So we could stay in it in 50 amp spot. Least had our own stuff for,the eve. They are doing the best they can. Will get Bach with more details.
Old 07-09-2016, 10:03 AM   #174
Winnebago Master

Are the Power Gear models more reliable. I have one on my Storm so I am hoping this true. Just to be sure I am having Fleetwood check it for proper operation. I am assuming one out and in cycle will tell them what they meet to know. It seems ok to me but I have never had one so I do not have a baseline for it.
Old 07-09-2016, 12:14 PM   #175
Winnie-Wise

Winnebago installed the new power gear, so far so good. The motor sounds stronger and a smoother in/out process. We will see.

Bob
Old 07-09-2016, 06:30 PM   #176
Winnebago Owner

Well the "Power Gear"system is installed.
Winnebago supposedly allows 6 hours for installation.
This one was 20 hours +! They worked late last eve,Friday.
Put a extra man on it middle,of the day on Friday.
Finished about noon today, Saturday. Took in 8am on Thursday.
Was planning on leaving this afternoon, but there was some culk/ sealant,
that need to cure. In McClains defense this is a new retro installation.
I believe that mine is the second one they have do on there own. The factory sen
Some techs to school them on the first one. Think they were here four days.
McClains an a dealership in Eugene, Or. are the only ones that have done the changeover other than the factory. There was no charge! WB is doing it on there
"Goodwill " program. The slide does travel faster. Leaving for Mt. I the AM. Trying to get out of the TX. heat. Will get back with more details.
Old 07-10-2016, 08:39 AM   #177
Winnebago Master

Schwintek Slide Poll

Quote:
Winnebago installed the new power gear, so far so good. The motor sounds stronger and a smoother in/out process. We will see.

Bob
Bob
For everything that you all have been through on your trip the stars seemed to line up just rite. Congratulations with your new Power Gear slide mechanism.
I believe you will be pleased with it.
Jesse
Jbmsr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2016, 01:17 PM   #178
Winnie-Wise

Just like the other conversion that was posted they use a tape over the top screw holes.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	1468178255103.jpg
Views:	229
Size:	55.0 KB
ID:	132622  
Old 07-14-2016, 04:47 AM   #179
Winnebago Watcher

I definitely had issues with my 2014 Adventurer 35P full wall slide. The first time was 3 months after I purchased new. Currently my coach is at RV repair again (21K miles) and the warranty person called Winnie and they refused to help out at all. Meanwhile I have friend who bought 2014 Itasca and had the same issues 3 times and this past Spring drove out to Forest City and had complete full wall slide system replaced for No Charge!! I have another friend who has a 2015 36' Journey and has nothing but problems with full wall slide. I'm looking for any suggestions on how to get Winnie to step up and help out with some type of credit.
67vette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2016, 06:34 AM   #180
Winnie-Wise

Hi.

I would call Winebago myself and speak to their techs as they are very helpful.

Thisa is not the time to call though because of GNR at Wbgo. But call their 800 number and I'm sure they will help you.

Tom-NC is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
slide